Thetford flush pump not working

david lloyd

Another trip - another hiccup. The pump on my Thetford toilet is not operating - checked the fuse on the main panel and the one in the cassette cupboard both are ok. I’m guessing the pump has given up the ghost (2006 Pioneer Renoir) as it is quite old - is there an easy test? Are they easy to replace? Can manage this trip with manual rinsing.

David

image.jpg

That looks like a C200 CWE model , the pump is in the water flush holding tank and is replaced by removing the top blue press button plate on the top (prizing it upwards) and removing the 4 x screws under it which holds the second cover in place which allows access to the pump.  There is a U-tube video showing this , Thetford C200 CWE pump replacement , which shows this and should help . (you may find it just needs a clean to free the impeller on the pump off)

Edited by Labby

Thetford provides several "How to" videos relating to C200 toilets.

https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/welcome-thetford-support/c200-series-cassette-toilet

This is the video that covers access to and replacement of the water-pump of a C200 CWE model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNbznuzQV-4&list=PLRyAuWB9PSuYnJD_wQBYaE_zjqLU7W22g&index=5

Our impeller stuck a few times after I made the mistake of adding the dreaded pink stuff to the tank. In the end I fitted a new impeller (about a tenner I think) and it’s been great ever since. Flushes more water now as well

Edited by Spyder

I have always used the pink flush and never had a problem with a pump failure but this one is now 17 years old where our others have been either new or nearly new. As I say, I will take the pump out next week and check the impeller first before deciding if a new pump is needed.

On the YouTube video I saw showing the repair to the impeller the guy checked the fuse (in the cassette locker) first and found it had blown so replaced it but still no pump so went on to retrieve the pump and found the impeller stuck. That, of course, may have been the reason the fuse blew.

He pointed out it was a 3 amp fuse whereas mine is a 5 amp and hasn’t blown - I wonder if it has been changed in the past and should really be a 3 amp?

David

As shown in one of the Thetford videos (links in my last posting) a 3A fuse is the correct one for Thetford C200 toilets. And if a 3A fuse blows, a 5A fuse would almost certainly do the same.

As you are just guessing that your problem is due to a stuck impeller, rather than (say) the pump's motor having failed, it's quite possible, if your toilet had a 3A fuse rather than a 5A fuse, that the 3A fuse would also not have blown.

See also

https://www.popupportal.com/threads/thetford-toilet-calls-for-3amp-fuse-what-if-i-put-a-5-amp.96558/

Well, as expected, the pump impeller was stuck but, unexpectedly, not for the first time I suspect. The pump has been replaced previously and as you can see in the photo the cistern and pipe work needed a good cleaning too.

All done and working again. The question now is will another replacement pump stop this happening again?

David

IMG_0431.jpeg