2006 (x244) 2.8HDiPeugeot Boxer poor starting

david lloyd

Aye, old school Keith but a lovely driving vehicle all the same - love it but just want it to be right.

Alan - I note from the link you posted it says with this type of flame starter to NOT wait for the glow plug light to go out before starting the engine - which I have been doing. Further down it also says that this type of flame device is found on the 8140.43 engine with Bosch fuel pump injection but the writer is not sure if it is the same device on the later 8140.43s common rail engine. I can check my engine tomorrow but wondered if you knew whether this type of flame starter would have the same effect if it failed?

David

• Like 1

David,

I added a note to the Motor Roam website some years ago.  This confirmed that my 2006 2.8jtd has a flame starter. I would be surprised if your 2.8 HDI had the alternative heat flange.  As I said in an earlier post the flame starter only operates below 0C

Alan

PS @david lloydyou have email.

Edited by Alanb
Minor addition

11 hours ago, Alanb said:

David,

I added a note to the Motor Roam website some years ago.  This confirmed that my 2006 2.8jtd has a flame starter. I would be surprised if your 2.8 HDI had the alternative heat flange.  As I said in an earlier post the flame starter only operates below 0C

Alan

PS @david lloydyou have email.

Thanks for the information Alan - it’s all very clear now. This is a photo of the flame starter and solenoid on my engine.

IMG_0470.thumb.jpeg.f44374c6e7d8cf7ab64677a18211040e.jpeg

I doubt the temperature has been as low as -0 for the flame starter to operate so that should explain why the technician didn’t see any voltage drop upon ignition on - surprised he didn’t realise the difference in starter heat up v glow plugs.

So until we get such cold weather I’m not going to be able to reliably check if it is working correctly but, in any case, that still leaves the sluggish starting first thing when temps are low (but not freezing) and several contributors (including snail above) seemed to have resolved that by replacing the starter motor.

I may just do that for peace of mind and wait to see how the flame starter works once it gets colder.

I do want to thank everyone for their interest and participation it has helped me understand this issue much more than previously. I will of course, update everyone once a new starter motor is fitted.

David

Hi

Strange , why has no one has substituted for you a well known workable starter or new one  and start from there as a baseline Cuts out all this guessing and playing around  I still would check your fuel pressure and have your injectors checked Have you had the basic compression test carried out initially ?  If not get it checked out from start by someone who is used to Diesel, shall we say old school diagnostics 

Regards

Edited by onecal

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so where was I? Ah, yes, Peugeot first diagnosed a failed battery which I changed last December - the Yuasa Silver 5000 I took off is still holding a steady 12.5v in my workshop having been charged twice. On the second visit earlier this year they tested the (fairly new)  battery and pronounced that it was ‘good’ and suggested I continue trying it and come back to them if the starting problem persists….

Instead I took it to an auto electricians who tried a few different tests and again confirmed the battery was fine but noted that there was no electrical draw with the ignition first turned on to indicate the glow plugs were working so perhaps needed new glow plugs - alanB kindly pointed out to me that this particular engine does not use glow plugs but rather a flame starter device in the manifold which only operates below 0 degrees. Thanks Alan. But they also noted that the starter motor drew more power on startup than they would have expected (they believed this was perhaps due to the glow plugs not working) and ruled out other possible causes.

As alanB had pointed out that there were no glow plugs my instinct was to follow other contributors and replace the starter motor. This was done this week and………blimey, what a difference. It starts like I would expect it to start - like a new vehicle, fist turnover. It’s great.

It’s been a long journey and I have learned a lot about my motorhome - things that qualified technicians (used to working on more modern vehicles) didn’t know. I am grateful to all who have taken an interest and offered advice and relieved the problem seems to have been finally resolved.

David

• Like 2