Ducato 9 speed auto to be discontinued?

John52

Globecar reviewer speaks of a rumour  the 9 speed auto is 'not long for this world'

at about 3m40s

The rest of the review is interesting too

I just couldn't understand why he is so concerned about splashes from the sink getting on the bed,

but then he wants a great hole in the roof above it.....

Edited by John52

• John52 changed the title to Ducato 9 speed auto to be discontinued?

Well I agree 100% with him, I've seen the same sink layout on Globecar's years ago and decided it needed a splashguard, the roof vent above bed we wouldn't be without. Personally I think on small vans such as this the shower in the corridor similar to ours, and used in Elegance R Prime, would be a better idea than a sliding wall. 

26 minutes ago, Steve928 said:

Haven't Stellantis just spent millions developing a universal (ICE+EV) 8 speed auto, due on line early 2023? If so then perhaps that's the route they'll take with the Ducato.

That's odd, most EV's are single speed, and a few are two speed. I do know most Stellantis EV's are based on a universal chassis.

Although I have never had a roof vent leak I have experience of the van bed getting wet with no way to dry it out and wouldn't want it again.

It was when I got my first van and was keen to get away in it, so I went on a long winter trip without insulating the roof.  Condensation formed on the roof and shook down like rain in the back as I was driving along - so didn't see it.

Everything in my new van got mouldy and smelly - so I wouldn't want to risk it happening again due to a vent over the bed.

As Brian Kirby said - if you don't want leaks don't make holes!

On 19/10/2023 at 09:00, colin said:

Condensation, the killer of vans and houses, the answer is ventilation, that's why it's a good idea to have a vent with permanent ventilation such as we have.

Well I've got a roof vent but its over the kitchen (to take away gas stove fumes)

I'm not worried about rain leaking on to the cooker

But I wouldn't risk having a roof vent over the bed

If you or the reviewer had experienced a wet bed whilst away,  you wouldn't be so keen to cut a hole in the roof over it

Stellantis press release of yesterday confirms that Ducato MY2024 gets a new 8 speed auto, presumably the in-house one they've just developed at a cost of over $200m.

"The extensive line-up of diesel engines is confirmed with the latest generation of MultiJet engines, compliant with Euro 6E regulations, always at the top for performance and durability: 6-speed manual transmission paired with three power levels (120, 140, 180 hp) and new 8-speed automatic transmission in combination with 140 and 180 hp. The Heavy-Duty range with Euro VI Step E homologation is articulated in the two power levels 140 and 180 hp, both combined with 6-speed manual transmission and the 8-speed automatic transmission."

Edited by Steve928
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

My 2023 Kontiki 784 is sitting in a Fiat Professional workshop have only driven 3500 miles and now waiting for a new gearbox. Garage told me they have other motorhomes not just Swift, but all with same gearbox, with problems. Lots are failing 

On 06/10/2024 at 19:49, EddieH said:

My 2023 Kontiki 784 is sitting in a Fiat Professional workshop have only driven 3500 miles and now waiting for a new gearbox. Garage told me they have other motorhomes not just Swift, but all with same gearbox, with problems. Lots are failing 

As your Swift Kon-Tiki is a 2023 model, presumably it has the ZF "9 Speed" automatic gearbox, not the latest 8-speed transmission (announced late last year for Ducato) that this forum discussion has been about. Is that correct please?

I've no idea how many "9 Speed" gearboxes have been problematic in the UK since the the transmission's launch in 2019 (for the Ducato 2020 model-year) but this USA link may be of interest.

https://lemonlawhelp.com/fiat-chrysler-9-speed-transmission-lawsuit-claims/

On 06/10/2024 at 19:49, EddieH said:

Hi 

I think it would be very interesting if EddieH got back to us with what actually failed on his gearbox and what were the diagnostic codes  he may have obtained from the Fiat workshop. 

Regards

If EddieH's Ducato-based Swift motorhome has the latest 8-speed transmission that has superseded the "9 Speed" transmission, then continuing to discuss his vehicle's problem (and the statement in his posting that said "Garage told me they have other motorhomes not just Swift, but all with same gearbox, with problems. Lots are failing" would be appropriate for this particular forum thread (that came to a natural halt 11 months ago) and would be important to owners of Ducato-based  motorhomes that have the current 8-speed transmission and to people who might be considering buying the latest auto Ducato.

However, if EddieH's motorhome actually has the earlier "9 Speed" transmission, it would better if he started a new thread and provided more detail about the problem that has required a replacement gearbox (hopefully under warranty) and that included the diagnostic data that you are interested in.

There are comments on the Fiat forum about Ducato "9 Speed" problems (example here)

https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/gearbox-fault-9-speed.497154/

but I'm not aware of any reported issues (yet!!) with the latest 8-speed 'box.

Hi

Yes it would be nice to know which one he actually has and what codes his gearbox had at the time of it's failure as he reports on his 2023 Kontiki 784 ? . It indeed would be very benifical to many who still buy Fiat powered motorhomes or are thinking of updating

Hopefully he will get back to us regarding his comment

Regards

Edited by onecal
  • Like 1

On 09/10/2024 at 14:48, onecal said:

Hi

Yes it would be nice to know which one he actually has and what codes his gearbox had at the time of it's failure as he reports on his 2023 Kontiki 784 ? . It indeed would be very benifical to many who still buy Fiat powered motorhomes or are thinking of updating

Hopefully he will get back to us regarding his comment

Regards

I agree, I am also in the same position and I'm now questioning things. Has anyone heard an update yet?