Filling with LPG for Domestic Use Illegal?

Alanb

The following is an extract from a current thread on the Motorhome Fun Forum.  Rather disturbing, particularly if it also applies to the UK.

"Edit: I've done some research.
Maybe you already knew that (I didn't), but the OP was informed correctly
In Spain (as in most European countries and UK?, I think now) the law only allows refuelling LPG as fuel for the engine.
This is why gas stations may refuse to fill our motorhomes with LPG for domestic use."

The whole thread may be viewed here.

Alan

Reminds me of when I stopped for diesel in Sainsburys Whitby

I always get out of the side door leaving it open whilst I fill up - the filler is next to the side door

But the pump wasn't coming on

So I went inside and asked why

The counterhand said that since I had the side door open she could not see where I was putting the nozzle and she had to check it wasn't in unauthorised can

So I had to close the door before she would turn the pump on

I have never experienced this before or since

She looked like she had just started the job, read the regulations and looked a bit keen

Wheras nobody else bothers.

2 hours ago, John52 said:

Reminds me of when I stopped for diesel in Sainsburys Whitby

I always get out of the side door leaving it open whilst I fill up - the filler is next to the side door

But the pump wasn't coming on

So I went inside and asked why

The counterhand said that since I had the side door open she could not see where I was putting the nozzle and she had to check it wasn't in unauthorised can

So I had to close the door before she would turn the pump on

I have never experienced this before or since

She looked like she had just started the job, read the regulations and looked a bit keen

Wheras nobody else bothers.

She was doing her job correctly, you might not have noticed this before, but employees are usually required to check, this is done either through the window or via cameras.

Hi

Our Club has toured all over Europe this year and has encountered no issues with filling in any European country. In fact they have found many service stations very helpful while filling .It's strange sure one could always say it's for the vehicle (engine) if they were been awkward. But thankfully we have had up to 200 Touring this year with no negative reports . It's strange

Regards 

There is no UK law demanding that 'autogas' be only used as a vehicle fuel.

There was strong lobbying in France a few years back that this should be the case, but no law was passed banning autogas from being used for 'domestic' equipment in vehicles.

It is, of course, possible that some European countries have such a law, and there's nothing to stop petrol station companies (or individual petrol stations) from adopting a vehicle-fuel-only stance (as Total does with their French service-stations) even though there's no national law that insists on this.

Hi

Our members touring this year 2023 (up to 200 Motorhomes) had no issues with any of the above refusing to fill , in fact were very helpful. Maybe it's just a handful of stations that may have had incidences in the past  Some may even be down to holding up the queue, not even a safety issue, maybe 

Regards

19 hours ago, colin said:

She was doing her job correctly, you might not have noticed this before, but employees are usually required to check, this is done either through the window or via cameras.

Well I can understand it for LPG because LPG really is dangerous.  I have heard of fires on forecourts caused by filling LPG in unauthorised containers.

But I thought she was being a bit keen when its only diesel

I'm wondering if Repsol have had an incident with someone filling LPG on one of their forecourts thats made them a bit keen?

2 hours ago, John52 said:

Well I can understand it for LPG because LPG really is dangerous.  I have heard of fires on forecourts caused by filling LPG in unauthorised containers.

But I thought she was being a bit keen when its only diesel

I'm wondering if Repsol have had an incident with someone filling LPG on one of their forecourts thats made them a bit keen?

There are specific regulations as to what containers fuel can be put in, for plastic this is 10litres, for metal 20litres.