Camping in Northern Spain

s10

We are getting the ferry to Santander in May next year, then meeting other friends in the Pyrenees a week later.

We don't know the area at all and certainly fancy Pamplona, but we are open to suggestions for other places to stay for a couple of nights. Santander looks a fine place, but the campsites don't look great, have we got this wrong?

Any suggestions for interesting towns with history/architecture/atmosphere/walking etc? We'd generally prefer 'proper' sites rather than Aires or wild camping.

For us Picos de Europa is great if you like views and walking. Several campsites to choose from.

santander interesting city but the best campsite we could find was a bus ride away. Fine for one or two days.

Inland from Santander is Burgos. Campsite is next to river and about 1 1/2 mile walk into old town  through park next to the river. Burial place of El CID. We often stop here for a day or two when travelling south.

But for me best city in Spain is Santiago de Compostella, the old city is compact but I am happy to spend a few days there. It’s a bit far, some 400 miles from Bilbao.

Have a good trip

peter

• Like 2

San Sebastián is worth a visit, very interesting old town and fabulous beach. We stayed at Camping Iguelda up in the hills but there is a regular bus from right outside the camp site into the town. Be warned though that the swimming pool isn’t open in May. We have stayed there twice , once in September, the 2nd time in May and when we enquired why the swimming pool wasn’t open the receptionist replied that it is too early, we are in the north you know. 

• Like 1

Another vote for Burgos which is a very pleasant city. We had one of the best tapas of our trip in February in a small bar/restaurant above the Cathedral there. Morcilla de Burgos is a speciality!

The  campsite mentioned by Peter, camping Fuentes Blancas is good and is an ACSI campsite at €23 with their card. https://www.campingburgos.com/

Jeremy

Thanks very much for the prompt replies and certainly some food for thought, with Burgos sounding good.

We've had Haro mentioned to us, as the 'capital of the Rioja' wine region - has anyone been there, as that also sound like a decent spot?

At one point we considered Pamplona, but couldn't find a decent site. I don't know if anyone has been there?

58 minutes ago, s10 said:

Thanks very much for the prompt replies and certainly some food for thought, with Burgos sounding good.

We've had Haro mentioned to us, as the 'capital of the Rioja' wine region - has anyone been there, as that also sound like a decent spot?

At one point we considered Pamplona, but couldn't find a decent site. I don't know if anyone has been there?

Yup ....can also can recommend Haro and the ACSI site there Camping de Haro. €23. Easy walking distance into the town past lots of Bodegas where for a very small outlay you can taste the various Riojas. Can also recommend Restaurante Terete .... a whole roasted leg of lamb on the bone is their speciality ...

I'm drooling now...!

Jeremy

• Like 1