Born Again Nomad.

Tracker

I started in 1965 with a sort of rough and ready home made conversion on ex GPO van (Morris Minor with rubber wings!) and ended after 52 very happy and experienced years by poor health in 2017 with an AS Executive Anniversary having had about 20 vans in between.

We never did like sites or staying put more than a day or two and spent many years meandering all over first the UK, then as it gradually became less easy, Continental European Aires/Stellplatz etc from The Nordkapp to the Sahara and we still miss the freedom, the excitement, the unknown.

And so at 79 years of age and having sold or given away all of our much treasured kit we are tempted to try to re-start our wanderings in an older van - I hate and distrust Adblue and all this emissions cobblers, always political answers to an engineering issue!

Are we totally mad, do I hear you ask?

Much has changed in the 6 years we have missed what with Brexit, Covid, inflation, gizmos, technology, etc., so does anyone have any words of experience about how the Nomadic lifestyle that we hanker for still exists or has changed since 2016 please?

Thanks folks,

Happy travels one and all.

Edited by Tracker

I can fully understand you wanting to restart. 
we have been camping, tugging and Motorhomes since 2002. 
November 2022 I was told I had a serious aortic valve problem. Gulp !! 
now sorted and desperate to restart our EU travel in April. 
we even traveled to Spain in July 2022 and it was amazing, so quiet in Spain.
for us nothing has changed abroad maybe the Aires are a little more expensive but still much easier than the Uk  and still good value. 
we have a new Malibu van with Adblu. 
our minibuses have had problems ( fords , Mercedes and Iveco ) but all on very high mileage and not caused to many serious problems, certainly not enough to put me off purchasing new. 
enjoy and I’m sure you will. 
den 

• Like 1

Rich, glad to see you are "coming out of retirement". Here is a suggestion from the left side of the field;

rent out your house for the UK winter

hop on a plane and fly to New Zealand

rent a camper or motorhome and go for a drive.

then if you have some time left there is plenty to see here on your way home.

Why NZ ? The weather is cooler than AU but generally warmer than UK (pre global warming). The terrain and scenery is nothing short of spectacular. 
Because it is so compact you do not need to drive long distances. The NZ people speak a variation of English and are friendly, even my Sister married one! Oh yes I almost forgot you have taken tea with Steve on our last UK narrowboat trip. The rental fleet in NZ is much more varied than AU with many UK/EU models available as well as locally made offers.

Interested in your thoughts.

cheers,

• Like 1

Thanks Gary, unfortunately our days of long haul are over due to health issues, it's been a bit of a struggle since we met and we have both had good VFM from the NHS!

Much as we would love to have experienced your upside down world of Australasia we reckon that we have missed the boat as that ship has long since sailed without us on board!

Glad that you youngsters are still able to gallivant though!

• Like 1

It's only as I've got older that I've realised that when we 'upped and took off' several times when we where younger how fortunate we were. My advice to anyone who says "when I retire I'm going to .....", if you're able to do things when you are younger, get them done then.

• Like 1

Hi Tracker, 

One has to try and look beyond all the "new technology" that has been introduced into not just so called modern engines ,but life itself. Maybe purchase something small and not so new and just get out there and enjoy whenever you can All the new stuff being added on is now becoming like "plugs and points" of the old days . One deals with it , sadly much more expensive . So maybe something old and not so big and enjoy as we all did back then Times are a changing for us all .  Lovely to see you back, did you ever really go?

Kind regards   

Just now, John52 said:

Well I guess 6 years is long enough to forget the things that made you quit,

and look back on it through rose tinted glasses 😍

Not quite, the things that made us quit are still there but more under control,  although health insurance whilst desirable then is a neccessity now that it too is a lot more expensive.

Amongst the many good bits there were a few bad bits that we also recall that we took in our stride but they would be much harder to resolve in a foreign land now, so rose tinted is no substitute for seeing the reality of it.

19 hours ago, Tracker said:

I hate and distrust Adblue and all this emissions cobblers, always political answers to an engineering issue!

Yes it is a pain. One of about 140 sensors in my Euro 6 Ducato had an intermittent fault that brought on the engine management light (MOT fail) But with air pollution killing kids

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/16/girls-death-contributed-to-by-air-pollution-coroner-rules-in-landmark-case 

we have to take it seriously.

Since you mention politics I thought that was increasing emissions?  Like Sunak taking private jets around the country for absurd photo ops - like posing with Elon Musk to try and look like a technology expert when Sunak can't even find his own whats app messages

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tracker said:

Please do not try to turn this into a political thread to suit yourself or it will get the chop.

Thats a bit Rich, Rich.

We managed to avoid 'political' for months until you returned and mentioned that very word in your opening post on this thread

Please! 
I miraculously get my account back today and thought I’d respond to Tracker’s thread.

l think I’m losing motivation for long trips. I love the destinations and the prospect of being there, but the journey appeals less. So much more is outside my/our control, and we do campsites, not very interested in wilding or aires, so it was never spontaneity that appealed. More a case of 6 weeks vanning or 1-2 weeks in budget hotels.

Good luck, and mind how you go.😉

20 hours ago, Tracker said:

Sorry - I must try harder!!

Same here

I can remember when political discussions were friendly. 

But the 'divide and rule' style of our rulers and the 'newspapers' who control them,

makes it harder to keep political discussions friendly

So politics is probably best kept off the forum.

Well said John - I sincerely hope you remember that.......even though you were unable to avoid making a political comment in your last post!

9 minutes ago, John52 said:

Same here

I can remember when political discussions were friendly. 

But the 'divide and rule' style of our rulers and the 'newspapers' who control them,

makes it harder to keep political discussions friendly

So politics is probably best kept off the forum.

Well said John, and I sincerely hope you remember that -  although ironically, you seemed unable to do that in your last post!

1 hour ago, Globebuster1 said:

Well said John - I sincerely hope you remember that.......even though you were unable to avoid making a political comment in your last post!

Well said John, and I sincerely hope you remember that -  although ironically, you seemed unable to do that in your last post!

I think repeating oneself should be banned from the forums.

In fact...I think repeating oneself .......

• Haha 1