Brittany Ferries - mobile data roaming

Steve928

There was an interesting bit on Radio2 yesterday about people being hit with large data roaming bills incurred while on Brittany Ferries crossings - it seemed to be very common. The headline case was someone who had not knowingly used their mobile phone but had run up £1800+ due to the phone deciding to update itself while connected.

Although we normally have data roaming off we did switch it on mid-Channel recently as we began preparing (currency, phones etc.) for arrival in France. Our phones connected to BF's satellite mobile provider (SkyScanner was the name mentioned on the radio) and thankfully we instantly received an SMS from TescoMobile detailing exorbitant charges, so quickly switched phones to airplane mode. I can't recall the charges but we are talking serious money..

Something to be aware of.

Not just on Brittany ships.

Tested on the Kristiansand (N) - Hirtshals (DK) route, Colorline ship.

When sailing in international waters or at least moving away from the coast and losing connection with a terrestrial provider, the risk of the ship acting as a transponder with a satellite is almost a certainty.

We always disable roaming and turn data off.

Alternative to purchase a ship's wifi connection.

19 hours ago, crocs said:

To be fair, Brittany Ferries always make announcements warning people to switch roaming off.

That was their defence but none of the radio interviewees (nor myself in 20+ crossings) had ever heard the announcement. Good to hear that it does exist - I'll cock my ears next time.

During the many times I've travelled with Brittany Ferries, I I don't recall ever hearing a vocal warning being given about high phone-usage charges, but it's clearly enough stated in BF's website's FAQ section

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/faqs/ships-and-ports/will-my-mobile-phone-work-on-board-the-ferry

A GOOGLE-search on brittany ferries roaming charges will retrieve plenty more information.

• 3 weeks later...

Why would you be paying roaming charges anyway?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/cheap-roaming-calls/

I pay £4.95 a month (5p a month for first 6 months) for my Lebara (Vodaphone network) sim - unlimited UK calls & texts, 100 mins free in EU and India, no roaming charges, and a bit of data. (for when I can't get BT wifi which is free to BT customers)

Anyone charging you for roaming in the EU is taking the p!ss and does not deserve your business.

Hi all

Because despite a recent decision to no longer charge data roaming charges across EU countries, as of June 2017, this does not apply to the satellite network available on board ships. So be careful to disable your mobile data roaming on your mobile on board or you may automatically be using this service whilst onboard, paying exorbitant rates.  

Regards

8 hours ago, John52 said:

I pay £4.95 a month (5p a month for first 6 months) for my Lebara (Vodaphone network) sim 

A word of warning about Lebara, when it works it's OK, when it doesn't they are rubbish. It has taken 18 months for them to finally admit they have a problem with many phones when it comes to WiFi calling, knowing what we now know gf would not have brought her present phone which doesn't work with them on WiFi calling despite their website saying at the time it would.

You now get an hour's free WiFi on Brittany Ferries and it works in the cabins, too.   Luckily it's per device not passenger.  I take my current mobile, and an old one along with two tablets and a laptop.  So I'm covered for a six hour crossing.

You can usually get land based 4g from around 10 miles from the coast.   So when using Portmouth you can pick it up from the Isle of Wight for a good time before docking.

Edited by derek500

On 20/12/2023 at 20:56, colin said:

A word of warning about Lebara, when it works it's OK, when it doesn't they are rubbish. It has taken 18 months for them to finally admit they have a problem with many phones when it comes to WiFi calling, knowing what we now know gf would not have brought her present phone which doesn't work with them on WiFi calling despite their website saying at the time it would.

WiFi calling on my Samsung S20 FE phone didn't work with Lebara when I joined in August (it did with Sky). I messaged them and within a couple of weeks it was enabled.  

I just do the basic £5 a month and switch to a high data plan when going abroad.

4 hours ago, derek500 said:

WiFi calling on my Samsung S20 FE phone didn't work with Lebara when I joined in August (it did with Sky). I messaged them and within a couple of weeks it was enabled.  

I just do the basic £5 a month and switch to a high data plan when going abroad.

It's pot luck as to if WiFi calling works with them, I know that some (maybe all) Nokia's don't work, some Sony's, and no Pixel's work. Their handling of this as been appalling, when gf's Nokia didn't work they blamed the phone, then when I pointed out it showed as a supported phone they blamed Vodafone saying some early versions of her phone wern't supported by Vodafone network, last summer we where passing a Vodafone shop and they kindly checked and the phone worked with a vodafone SIM, soon after gf broke the phone, she brought a Sony which showed as being supported, once again it didn't work, they sent out a new SIM, still no luck, we kept raising a case and after all the standard questions and suggestions they would say it was being passed onto tech managers and they would reply within 3 days, we never once got a reply from the tech managers. When gf and myself swapped SIM's we found her Sony and My Pixel worked fine on 1p mobile (EE network) but neither would work on Lebara, eventually got customer services on a voice call, and this one didn't do their favorite trick of cutting me off after 20mins, it was passed up the line and eventually they had to admit that WiFi calling on their network doesn't work correctly on many phones.