Sleeping Bag ?? / Mattress Pad ??

Hi, now having down sized from Motorhome with bed, to a Campervan, 2 long side seats, I am going to buy a sleeping bag (not mummy) with a zip opening with a zip at the bottom of the bag for feet, anybody recommendations???, to sleep on the side seating, would people recommend buying a mattress pad for more comfort??? any recommendations??? thanks for reading.

• Keithl changed the title to Sleeping Bag ?? / Mattress Pad ??

For some years we successfully used 'Duvalays'.

Not cheap, although cheaper versions may now be available, but they gave us a good night's sleep and softened the overly firm seat/mattress.

As a lower cost aternative a memory foam topper with separate sleeping bag does almost the same job and we found that a jumbo size sleeping bag with inner liner sheet gives more air space with one side open, or just the sheet, on warmer nights.

Like Tracker we used Duvalay over recent years but prior to that comfortable full size sleeping bags. In our two berth (side settees) we use the mattress topper part of the duvalay with the sleeping bag on top as we find the bags much warmer in winter. Bedding is quite bulky so we leave our bedding in place on the settees but with a cover over to keep them clean and the whole thing keeps the upholstery in good condition too.

David

Bed firmness is very much subjective and what one of us finds comfortable another will find uncomfortable.

Best to try without topper first because, as David says, bedding is very bulky and can be a pain to store in a smaller van.

When I slept on a bed like that I had several sleeping bags, putting one inside the other when it was cold.  Or using the sleeping bags as a mattress topper and sleeping on top of them when it was hot.  That way you always have several layers of sleeping bags beneath you as a mattress topper.  I usually slept well.

As had been said bedding is very bulky and can be a pain to store in a smaller van. If you are using that space for an extra sleeping bag instead of a mattress topper you have got something with you far more useful when you have no heating on a cold night.