Removable Angles Morts stickers

Hi 

I stuck our stickers on some acrylic sheet and used good quality Velcro to attach to our MH. 
when we downsized I posted them to flyboyprowler for him to make use of. 
they worked perfectly and covered 3000 miles in 1 trip. 

den

We got some reusable ones a couple of years back - first year I stuck them on removable film on the back of the van, they worked well.  Last year l stuck them on direct, and they were less successful - they were coming adrift after a few weeks.  They weren’t the specific ones OP mentioned though.

We also got magnetic ones for the front cab doors, which worked exceptionally well.

"Easy Dot" vinyl is made by a company named NESCHEN. It comes in various types and I'm guessing that this product is what the Angles Morts signs are printed on.

https://www.neschen.de/en/product/solvoprint-easy-dot-whiteout/#pdetails

The Easy Dot stickers from the advert linked to in the original posting cost £15.80 (for 3 stickers), while the price of the standard stickers is £7.11

I can't find any on-line reviews of the Easy Dot stickers, but I note that reusable/easily-removable Angles Morts stickers are marketed outside the UK and their asking-price is similarly high.

Given the elevated price of the Easy Dot stickers and that Angles Morts stickers will only be of interest to owners of over-3500kg-GVW  motorhomes driven outside the UK, I'm doubtful that anyone on this forum will be in a position to provide practical-experience feedback. It's probably going to be down to MasterW being prepared to obtain them and hope that the 'reusability' claim is real and justifies the extra cost.

2 hours ago, ColinM50 said:

Out of interest, why do you want them removable?

Ask the question the other way, why would you want to leave them on?

IMO they look hideous and should only be on trucks!

12 hours ago, Keithl said:

Ask the question the other way, why would you want to leave them on?

IMO they look hideous and should only be on trucks!

Agree - last year I removed the magnetic ones as soon as we crossed the French/Spanish border, putting them back on on the return journey.

On 04/03/2024 at 16:39, ColinM50 said:

Out of interest, why do you want them removable?

Since you ask....I could be forgiven for thinking:-

Firstly:-

For the owner/driver of a motorhome, manufactured as <3500kg, <7m in length, easily manoeuvrable at only 2.2m wide, fitted with large, extended, multi-faceted wing mirrors, and fitted with a rear-view camera/large display; the AM stickers have no benefit.

Such motorhomes have been included in legislation to cover large HGV’s/coaches and are no more effective on my vehicle plated as 3880kg, than the same vehicle which is plated as 3500kg.  It is exactly the same physical size. 

Secondly:-

The AM stickers, aimed largely at cyclists, will not protect a cyclist or pedestrian/wheelchair user from the manoeuvres (whether sudden or planned) of an HGV, if the person foolishly choses to position him/herself in close proximity to such a considerable and obvious bulk, deliberately forsaking safety for some other ambition.

Thirdly:-

Having made the flawed decision to ride in such close proximity to such an obvious bulk, why on earth would anybody consider that the same rider would bother to read an AM sticker and think, “goodness, I must keep my distance”. Even considering the glaring colour scheme, the flawed decision-making process of the rider would not be over-ridden by an AM sticker.  Rider education is surely required prior to being exposed to live road conditions, not split-second sign reading.

Fourthly:- 

The AM stickers are unsightly, damaging to paintwork and relatively small vehicles used for coachbuilt motorhomes do not provide suitable flat mounting areas.

They also don’t suit my paint scheme and graphics...😉

On 04/03/2024 at 18:38, Derek Uzzell said:

"Easy Dot" vinyl is made by a company named NESCHEN. It comes in various types and I'm guessing that this product is what the Angles Morts signs are printed on.

https://www.neschen.de/en/product/solvoprint-easy-dot-whiteout/#pdetails

The Easy Dot stickers from the advert linked to in the original posting cost £15.80 (for 3 stickers), while the price of the standard stickers is £7.11

I can't find any on-line reviews of the Easy Dot stickers, but I note that reusable/easily-removable Angles Morts stickers are marketed outside the UK and their asking-price is similarly high.

Given the elevated price of the Easy Dot stickers and that Angles Morts stickers will only be of interest to owners of over-3500kg-GVW  motorhomes driven outside the UK, I'm doubtful that anyone on this forum will be in a position to provide practical-experience feedback. It's probably going to be down to MasterW being prepared to obtain them and hope that the 'reusability' claim is real and justifies the extra cost.

Thanks for your response Derek, I had researched the same product and asked the manufacturer if they would recommend their Easy dot product on the outside of vehicles. The answer was an emphatic no.!! That's why I wondered if anybody had actually tried to use these AM Easy Dot stickers, they seemed too good to be true. Accepting that they will be easy to fit and remove, I was going to try them and secure the outer edges with waterproof tape until I had gained more confidence. Will keep you posted.

I fitted the stickers to my last MH and when I decided to sell it I decided to remove all four of them as they looked so bad and what an almost impossible job it was. The actual sticker material did all come off but left the adhesive which I never really managed to clean off completely but I should add that I did not scratch any of the vans finish or remove any paint from the cab part. I have often wondered if anyone finished the job of removing the goo I left. Nothing I tried seemed to really touch it.

Edited by GandJP
spelling

A GOOGLE 'advanced' search, using "angles morts" site:https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk as the search-term, should retrieve all past O&AL forum discussions/arguments about the French 'stickers' regulations and their application to motorhomes.

The French Angles Morts regulation was introduced in 2021, but I've no idea how many (if any) drivers of 'heavy' motorhomes have been fined since then for not displaying the stickers.

This 2021 (GOOGLE-translated) extract from the West France newspaper mentioned the stickers, but the vehicle 'caught' in a road-side check was a truck not a motorhome.

During this check, three criminal fixed fines were noted for possession of cannabis and one offence for use of narcotics, cannabis in this case. Customs officials seized 83 g of cannabis resin. Where road-traffic offences were concerned: a lack of insurance; eight 4th class fines for driving a vehicle weighing more than 3.5 t without compliant signage regarding the position of blind spots; one 4th class fine for driving a motorised vehicle not equipped with a rear-view mirror or indirect vision system and two 4th class fines for insufficient daily rest time.

I would do what the French do and not bother with them!!   Just come back from Spain and the only MH's on our campsite with them were German, Dutch, Belgian and a few Brits.   And many of those were on typical coach builds under 3.5t.

The marketplace for French-registered motorhomes with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) over 3500kg is tiny as (unlike the UK) French motorists have no historic C1 driving-licence 'grandfather rights'. Even if one spots a large French-registered motorhome that might reasonably be expected to have a GVW well over 3500kg, there's a good chance it will be 'plated' at 3500kg despite this meaning that it has virtually no usable payload.

I remember talking to the French owner of a big Rapido A-class model that had on-board two very large males and their very large wives. He asked me if my Hobby motorhome (parked next door and dwarfed by the Rapido) had a 3500kg GVW. I replied "Yes" and, assuming that his Rapido was 3500kg+, enquired if he had the necessary C driving-licence (France did not issue C1 licences at that time). He said that he was a lorry driver and had a C licence but the Rapido was plated at 3500kg and, when I raised my eyebrows, he grinned and said that 'heavy' motorhomes were very difficult to sell in France.

As the following link warns, the financial penalty for not complying with the French Angles Morts regulation starts at 135 euros, so - if one thinks the idea is daft for motorhomes and decides not to display the stickers - it could be an expensive mistake.

https://www.green-zones.eu/en/products/france/angles-morts

I still use Den's stickers firstly with the velcro which worked, but now modified with double suction stickers which also do the job but are easier to release. Many thanks again Den.

https://www.green-zones.eu/en/products/france/angles-morts

Interesting that this mentions that vehicles entering France must show the stickers, but if a trailer is being towed as well on the motorhome, does that trailer also have to have stickers, (and how many) or does that only apply to trucks?

Ainsley