Engine oil approvals

15 minutes ago, Robinhood said:

I've used 4 separate FP outlets round here. They are all multi-make sites, and there is very little demonstrable Fiat-specific knowledge or capability at most.

I have dealt with three different Fiat (un) Professional workshops, all have subsequently lost their dealerships and good job too! Last year the 'local' Northern Commercials branch, which is a Iveco dealer helped me out.

3 hours ago, Robinhood said:

Experience of oil used across the industry is that it is quite likely to be the closest match they have in the bulk tanks "round the back".

That has been my experience too

I cannot imagine any of them keeping  different brands of oil for the different makes they service

Thanks for the correction re Stoneacre's/Vanworld's workshop status.  That makes rolopolo's statement even more puzzling!  It now seems he hadn't quite understood who the real Fiat Professional dealer/workshop was, or quite who was repairing what under whose instructions or why - saving that the new cambelt hadn't been up to the job.

However, I don't think the issue of whether to turn to a manufacturer's designated workshop, or an independent, for servicing while the vehicle is within warranty is any clearer for the average owner with limited mechanical knowledge.  On the question of the correct oil being used, once the oil is in the engine the owner hasn't much scope for challenging whether or not it (or a cambelt or whatever) was to the manufacturer's specification.

Whoever is employed, one can only trust that the workshop will do its job properly with the correct materials, and will only find out if the workmanship or materials were of poor quality if something goes wrong.  If that happens and poor workmanship or unapproved materials were the cause, and if the workshop was manufacturer approved, the manufacturer should intervene on one's behalf against the workshop.  Against an independent, I would be surprised if any such support would be forthcoming.  So, on that basis I'd prefer to be able to involve the manufacturer on my behalf against his own designated workshop, than to have to take an independent workshop to court at my own expense to prove that his work or materials were the cause of a fault. 

We've had both Ford and Fiat based vehicles over the years, and on a few occasions have experienced issues  that prompted me to turn to the manufacturer for assistance.  My experience has been that they intervened constructively, correctly identifying the underlying cause of the problem, and dealing with the workshop to resolve it even, in one case, by contributing a part f.o.c well after the warranty had expired.  With service intervals at two years the annual servicing costs are not that high and, to me, the manufacturer's contributions have been worth any added cost the use of approved workshops might have entailed.

But then. whereas I used to fiddle extensively with my own cars the advent of automotive electronics brought that to a stop and the days of re-setting the timing, or re-tuning twin SUs, etc. for better performance, are in the past.  Today's vehicles are  basically computers with wheels and give no clues as to what is going on, or how to fix it!  😄  So, to the franchised dealership I now go.  🙄

2 minutes ago, Brian Kirby said:

That makes rolopolo's statement even more puzzling!  It now seems he hadn't quite understood who the real Fiat Professional dealer/workshop was, or quite who was repairing what under whose instructions or why - saving that the new cambelt hadn't been up to the job.

I suspect someone above hit the nail on the head.

The belt was changed at Vanworld. It subsequently failed (rather a long time after) on the road, and was no doubt (being undriveable) recovered to the nearest FP garage for diagnosis. 

The belt issue was diagnosed there, and being still undriveable, the repair was also done there.

Subsequently, Vanworld ended up paying.

At least, that's how I would make sense of it!

(FWIW, Vanworld were stocking and selling Hobby motorhomes when I was last there, and I think they still are).

• Like 1

"The belt was changed at Vanworld. It subsequently failed (rather a long time after) on the road, and was no doubt (being undriveable) recovered to the nearest FP garage for diagnosis."

Yes, on reflection that seems the most logical conclusion.  However, at his annual mileages, that "rather a long time after" seems likely to have been in the region of 4 months!  Other peoples lives, eh!  🙂 

• Like 1

Just returning to the original oil topic.

The FAQ on Fiat's official "Camper" site has the advice in the attachment.

Given that, I'd be prepared to contest any warranty denial if a non-endorsed but compliant oil had been used.

Selenia..JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robinhood said:

Just returning to the original oil topic.

The FAQ on Fiat's official "Camper" site has the advice in the attachment.

Given that, I'd be prepared to contest any warranty denial if a non-endorsed but compliant oil had been used.

Selenia..JPG

Yes you will probably need to stand your ground

When I claimed a replacement soot sensor under warranty the supplying dealer tried to fob me off three times

Once by saying isn't there a Fiat dealer nearer to you - I replied you didn't say that when I wanted to buy a new van.

Then by saying its a motorhome so only guaranteed for 2 years - but its a van so guaranteed for 3

Then by saying there is no service record - but I serviced it myself and in any case the soot sensor is not a service item

Finally they replaced it free under warranty.

I get the feeling they try to fob us off because Fiat tries to fob them off when they make a claim?

With lower labour rates than they charge retail customers, plus the unpaid time they spend claiming it from Fiat, they don't want warranty jobs.