Getting around the 90 day rule apparently

GandJP

Just seen this on a Chausson Facebook forum that indicates the 90 day rule can be got round. Anyone else seen this and has something to say?  It cant be right surely or it would be known about on here for sure!

"For any stay in France exceeding 90 days, you are required to apply in advance for a long-stay visa. In this instance your nationality does not exempt you from requirements.

Whatever the duration of your planned stay, the duration of your long-stay visa must be between three months and one year. In order to extend your stay beyond the period of validity of your visa, you must apply for a residence permit at a prefecture.

During its period of validity, the long-stay visa is equivalent to a Schengen visa, enabling you to move around and stay in the Schengen Area outside France for periods not exceeding 90 days over any period of 180 consecutive days, under the same conditions as if you held a Schengen visa."

The "For any stay in France..." quote appears many times on-line and is taken directly from the official france-visas.gouv.fr website

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/france-visas/long-stay-visa#

See also

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F16162?lang=en#:~:text=The long-stay visa%2C type,require a short-stay visa.

Presumably the Chausson Facebook forum is this one?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chaussonownersgroup/

My wife has an irish passport so that covers me as well (uk passport) that enables us to spend over 90 days in europe but only 3 months in any country without registering , for example 3 months in france and 3 months in spain, so I enter france via tunnel drive down through france in 3 days then into spain moving around in my motorhome for the rest of the time, how will they know at calais customs how long I've spent in each country as being in the motorhome moving around all over spain ???, surely they will not try to check cctv at the french/spanish border.

@How would they know at Calais how long you've spent in each country?' 

I was advised the following responses to emailed enquiries to the French and Spanish Embassies in New Zealand viz ;

On exiting France you 'may' be requested to show evidence of your length of stay in France, by way of dated accommodation receipts, atm withdrawals, card paymentstatements etc. Refer to my post a few days ago on Bi Lateral Visa Agreement. 

It was also stated that the request to exercise proof of this evidence lay in the hands of the border official.

Although I was intending to utilise the Bi Lateral Visa Waiver Agreement with NZ. and not the Irish Passport approach presumably the same showing of your length of stay evidence principle still applies? I wasn't given any grief, quite the opposite,  no one seemed to care too much. At least on this particular occasion!

Edited by simians

13 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

The "For any stay in France..." quote appears many times on-line and is taken directly from the official france-visas.gouv.fr website

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/france-visas/long-stay-visa#

See also

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F16162?lang=en#:~:text=The long-stay visa%2C type,require a short-stay visa.

Presumably the Chausson Facebook forum is this one?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chaussonownersgroup/

Yes Derek, having a Chausson I thought it might be useful for odd info.

13 hours ago, simians said:

@How would they know at Calais how long you've spent in each country?' 

I was advised the following responses to emailed enquiries to the French and Spanish Embassies in New Zealand viz ;

On exiting France you 'may' be requested to show evidence of your length of stay in France, by way of dated accommodation receipts, atm withdrawals, card paymentstatements etc. Refer to my post a few days ago on Bi Lateral Visa Agreement. 

It was also stated that the request to exercise proof of this evidence lay in the hands of the border official.

Although I was intending to utilise the Bi Lateral Visa Waiver Agreement with NZ. and not the Irish Passport approach presumably the same showing of your length of stay evidence principle still applies? I wasn't given any grief, quite the opposite,  no one seemed to care too much. At least on this particular occasion!

so dated accommodation receipts, none, as free camping in motorhome.

always take cash to use.

no card  payments.

so what then?

last year I brought this question up with the customs guy at Calais and he didn't have an answer, so I don't think they are bothered.

Fuel receipts, shopping receipts, photos on your phone, etc, etc. Even your humble Sat Nav is probably logging your route, I know my Garmin does!

There are so many ways to track your travels these days 🙂

21 hours ago, simians said:

Break the speed limit at the first sign of a police presence, you will be given a ticket with name, address and proof dated !!

as if I would show customs a police ticket, I honestly believe customs will not bother checking all small details especially after my questioning customs officer last year , he didn't know anything about it.

Was in jest of course!

But just because one official didn't know anythIng doesnt mean the next official will be Ignorant/accommodating does It, so it's probably preferable to be forearmed, eg with receipts, date stamped photos etc. anything practicable, as in fact the relevant Embassies advised me to.

Personally I will not necessarily expect the same favourable outcome on my next trip later this year as I did a couple of weeks ago. I certainly would not want to resort to flashing my EU Red ID Card, that may mean leaving the missus behInd as she doesn't possess one of those🙂

Just as a ps. its on the cards that Schengen border crossings presently unmanned may be manned at any time, due to increased terrorist threats, possibly randomly.... who knows. A passport check would be expected. But lets not get paranoid🙂

Edited by simians