Mercedes 208d autotrail - 1990

hi, 

I'm looking to buy a 1990

Mercedes 208d autotrail apache with 97k on the clock. 

just wondering on peoples opinions of the engine etc. and the pros and cons and anything I should look out for? 

Thank you 

Kate

• Keithl changed the title to Mercedes 208d autotrail - 1990

The Merc 208d will only be 80 Horse Power so will not be the fastest thing on the road, in fact it will be quite pedestrian and barely able to keep up with modern traffic on fast roads. Our 2004 Merc Autotrail is 130 HP and still is on the slow side of things.

As for the Autotrail side of things, everything depends on how it has been cared for over the years. If it has had water ingress and damp then it may or may not have been repaired properly so make sure you get it inspected by someone who knows what they are looking at or be prepared for plenty of DIY. Also the appliances fitted, if still original, will almost certainly be obsolete so be prepared for problems if they go wrong.

Keith.

As Derek says, interesting MoT history of this is the same motorhome. I have never thought about doing such a check but it does give an interesting insight. Failed in 2013, 2017 and 2023. Not particularly bad in itself but, in that time span (2013 - 2024) it had only done 5000 miles and doesn’t seem to have been in for MOT between July 2019 and August 2023 so been stood a while.

David

Autotrails of that era were constructed of timber framing, with glued and stapled joints clad on the exterior with prefinished aluminium panels glued to the framing, where panels butted the joint was covered with a screw fixed aluminium moulding bedded in mastic. Guaranteed to leak when the framed structure racked on uneven surfaces and the mastic had stone hardened and cracked, letting in water wet or dry rotting the framing and interior ply.

As already stated with a nominal 80bhp you'll find it challenging trying to keep up in fast moving present day conditions even on the flat, as for inclines hills etc be prepared to grit your teeth! Best described as a reliable plodder with no electronics to worry about. Plenty of non OEM spares on ebay.

The cab has MOT advisories on rust issues, all well known areas, the scuttle area is particularly difficult to repair, almost certainly windscreen out for a start. 

If this 'van has escaped the potential problems outlined above, or has had them remedied is one thing, but if not I'd suggest it could easily require proficient DIYer skills or deep pockets 😁

With a GVW of 2800 kgs you will not have much payload to play with, In 1990 many motorcaravanners were unaware that they may be overloaded or if they did then they didn't care. I think many these days many acknowledge that they are running overweight, but many still dont care.