External Temperature Reading

The external temperature reading has suddenly gone crazy on my 2016 Fiat Ducato Rapido. Last week when the external temperature was only about 10°C the display on the dashboard was showing about 50°C. I'm assuming it must be the thermostat which I think is in the off side wing mirror, if so how easy is it to replace please.

This should give you some idea.

I'm pretty sure you can also get the sensor complete with end connector, but that will/would entail working inside the door as well. (which can be done by removing the switch panel on the armrest, but is definitely keyhole surgery).

TBH, I've only taken a broken mirror apart, and that was fiddly. Care will be needed.

(FWIW, I had one fail on my previous 'van whilst under warranty, and Fiat's response to that was to replace the full mirror).

The thermostat reading is for information only and has no effect on the running of the Air Conditioner system. However if you have Climate Control fitted, the thermostat is important, as its output is used to control the cooling.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, but the links above and what I've found say that the display is not working, only showing dashes but mine actually displays a reading which appears to increase and decrease as would be expected but is greatly over reading. Last week on start up the outside temp was about 10°C but the display was showing 50°C and increased as the day got warmer. Is there a way to reset the thermostat?

Does anyone actually know where the sensor is? I've just looked on line and it's either in the mirror, in the wheel arch or in the engine compartment?????

Edited by stevec176

My problem that led to the mirror being replaced under warranty was wildly under-reading, (by 30 degrees or more) not completely failure.

For a standard cab, the temperature sensor is a small "nipple" on the underside of the driver's-side door mirror (obvious when you find it - though if you have "mirrorguards" on, rather less than obvious.). The other locations are generally for A-class vehicles that don't have the standard Fiat mirrors.

AFAIK, there is no reset/recalibration possible.

The video I posted above showed the replacement by an aftermarket unit terminated with two bare wires, which were then joined to the existing (snipped) ones. These are readily available relatively cheaply on eBay.

Despite Fiat sometimes denying it, a complete OE unit with the terminating plug is available as  p/n 1375410080, which will be considerably more expensive, and will still need the mirror dismantling to fit it. (and the plug feeding through into the door, the connections being beneath the armrest switch unit, which can be levered out; access is tight but possible - and I suspect the whole door mirror might actually have to come off for that - fiddly but not to daunting).

I have a complete spare OE sensor here, recovered from a mirror demolished for me by white-van man. I'm hanging onto it, just in case.

TBH, dismantling the mirror is fiddly (I think the worst bit is removing the glass without breaking it) but from working on the broken one, I'd think it not too difficult after that.

If you fit an OE sensor and have/wish to manoeuvre the plug through, then the worst bit is probably removing the Remis blind (if you have one) to reach the mounting screws. Even that isn't too bad once you've sussed how.

8 hours ago, Robinhood said:

TBH, dismantling the mirror is fiddly (I think the worst bit is removing the glass without breaking it

Yes I agree

Like many things the glass is held in with plastic clips you just have to brute force pull apart and hope nothing breaks.  But the mirror glass has a backing which makes it surprisingly strong and I am surprised I haven't broken one yet.  I find the best way to get hold of the mirror glass is to loop a strap behind it so you are pulling in 2 places, but I have also just pulled them out with a flat bit of metal with a 90 degree bend in it behind the glass.

Once the glass is out you can see how the assembly is held together.