Transit wet belt

dawki

On the Ford Transit Forum, on January 12 2024 in a discussion about Transit 'wet' timing-belt problems, the following statement was made

As of earlier this week, the Ford timing belt interval has been reduced to 6 yrs or 100k

The Palmers Garage webpage (dated 17 January 2024) I provided a link to earlier says

...to address issues with timing belt service life, caused by engine oil dilution /vehicle operation conditions / usage, Ford Motor Company UK have reduced the recommended service interval for timing belt, tensioner and idlers to 6 years or 100,000 miles.

So the answer to Brian's (dawki's) question "can anybody confirm that Fords have officially reduced belt change times from 10 down to 6 years?" is that everything points to that reduction in the recommended belt-change interval having happened last January.

Having said that, if Brian still has doubts about this, a Ford Transit dealership SHOULD be able to confirm 'officially' what Ford's current recommendation is.

https://www.ford.co.uk/commercial-vehicles/find-a-transit-centre

12 minutes ago, Keithl said:

I posted a link to that above!

Yes I read your post, found it useful and thanked you for it

But you described it as a 'recall letter', wheras onecal refers to 'Technical Service Bulletin', so I don't know whether its the same document.  When I asked all I got from him was four more posts repeating the same advice to contact the vehicle manufacturer.

What would be the point of forums like this if it was that easy to get advice from vehicle manufacturers?

10 hours ago, John52 said:

What would be the point of forums like this if it was that easy to get advice from vehicle manufacturers?

I couldn't agree more. Our friend's advice is inevitably to contact the dealer or manufacturer (on some nonexistent helpline) as witnessed in several recent threads. Personally I think it's reasonable to presume that posters are aware of manufacturers and dealers and come here for the experience of other owners/users. Otherwise, as you say, we might as well shut up shop and replace the forum with a notice saying 'If you have any motorhome matters best contact your dealer or vehicle manufacturer'.

On 02/05/2024 at 15:59, onecal said:

Hi Dawki

Why go away from your Mercedes base I get the feeling you may be wishing someone to ask ? 
Regards 

No not at all it was17 years old (but you wouldn’t believe it) 

transverse bed was a bit of a pain as we got older and fancy an Auto 

that’s all really 

10 hours ago, Steve928 said:

I couldn't agree more. Our friend's advice is inevitably to contact the dealer or manufacturer (on some nonexistent helpline) as witnessed in several recent threads. Personally I think it's reasonable to presume that posters are aware of manufacturers and dealers and come here for the experience of other owners/users. Otherwise, as you say, we might as well shut up shop and replace the forum with a notice saying 'If you have any motorhome matters best contact your dealer or vehicle manufacturer'.

Yes I suppose it would be too costly for mass market vehicle manufacturers to have helplines.  Other companies are even replacing unskilled call centre staff with chatbots to save money.  Vehicle manufacturer call centre staff would have to be higher pay grade to answer technical questions about vehicles - and maybe inundated with minor issues or silly questions?  So they fob us off with 'contact the dealer' etc

My dealer spams me with pushy sales calls to buy GAP insurance, bring it in for servicing etc - they are not going to tell me how to service it myself. Or say anything that would put me off buying another van.

So it would have been good to get some inside info from onecal's 'Technical Service Bulletin' 

Because I hoped to see what they are telling their dealers, instead of just what they are telling their customers.