Transit wet belt

dawki

Hi sold my motorhome for the last 15 years😭Mercedes base vehicle 

have  basically decided that next one which I’m urgently seeking would be Automatic and 90%sure it would be a transit base 

having known about the injectors issue some suffered with I was happy to take chance on that but is the wet cambelt issue a game changer regards opting for the Ford Transit

I heard these wet cambelts are failing early because they are not using the right oil?

Not just the right spec (eg 0w30 C2 as in the Ducato) but oil that is designed for wet cambelts?

I don't know about that, but to be sure, if I had got a wet cambelt I personally would make sure I got the right oil to go with it, rather than rely on a garage to use the right oil.

But I am glad I haven't got a wet cambelt - bad enough having a dry one.

Edited by John52

Hi

I am afraid they do fail regardless of the oil used as it becomes diluted and contaminated with soot, ( regular oil changes are not the norm anymore ) This is well known and Ford have issued a Technical Service Bulletin . The saga goes on and on . At the moment it wouldn't be my choice of motor 

Regards

Edited by onecal

1 minute ago, onecal said:

Ford have issued a Technical Service Bulletin .

Do you have a link to it please?

Most of what I have seen is written by the trade, and it might suit them better to use whatever oil they have and change the belts twice as often?  

(pardon my cynicism but its based on years of experience) 

1 hour ago, onecal said:

Hi

I think you should contact Ford for any information needed on same as I believe many a case is pending ,That's of course if we are to believe social media reports.  

Regards

So thats a No then is it?

Excuse me, but I thought when you quoted a Ford Technical Service Bulletin  you might just actually know what it says so you can copy and paste it here?

Hi 

If you read my last post I think it answers you question 

Again I will put it up for you , again,,,,as you say It's flooding lol  I think it's an effort to clarify and for others to read in full 

If you have an issue take it up with Ford lol but as you say you haven't a wet cambelt and I think you allude you have an issue with the trade (see attached)

Sorry my reply John may not suit you and if you wish to start an argument today lol I think not lol

Really silly way of going on ,to be honest 

I will put it up for you again to read , please read it all. It's my opinion as is others here 

May I wish you well 

Hi

I think you should contact Ford for any information needed on same as I believe many a case is pending ,That's of course if we are to believe social media reports.  

Regards

2 hours ago, John52 said:

don't know about that, but to be sure, if I had got a wet cambelt I personally would make sure I got the right oil to go with it, rather than rely on a garage to use the right oil.

1 hour ago, onecal said:

If you read my last post I think it answers you question 

If you read my question you will see that it doesn't answer it

The question was do you have a link to the technical service bulletin you mention.

From your usual distraction and obfuscation I can only assume the answer is 'no'

So I am not going to keep going round in circles and help you turn this into another interminably long and boring thread. 

You can have the last word if you must.

If anyone has this Ford Technical Service Bulletin onecal quotes please post it.

2 hours ago, onecal said:

Hi

I am afraid they do fail regardless of the oil used as it becomes diluted and contaminated with soot, ( regular oil changes are not the norm anymore ) This is well known and Ford have issued a Technical Service Bulletin . The saga goes on and on . At the moment it wouldn't be my choice of motor 

Regards

Nearest I can find is a recall letter... https://www.arval.nl/sites/default/files/119/2022/07/20B44_Ford.pdf

And the first paragraph...

image.thumb.png.88fb259b54272ea2b05cf88aeb641903.png

And having found 20B44 gives more info...

https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=204983&start=105

And the bad part...

image.thumb.png.1d957ff2ccd8ed0f061b240148f745d3.png

"At this point the engine will need to be replaced."

• Thanks 1

Hi "Dawki"

It 's a serious issue to consider on purchasing one with a wet belt as you say the the amount of money that has to be spent on the service of same and maybe the loss also of re-sale value going forward, 

Regards 

1 hour ago, onecal said:

Hi "Dawki"

It 's a serious issue to consider on purchasing one with a wet belt as you say the the amount of money that has to be spent on the service of same and maybe the loss also of re-sale value going forward, 

Regards 

Yes it really does need consideration especially when coming from a chain driven van

can anybody confirm that Fords have officially reduced belt change times from 10 down to 6 years?

22 hours ago, dawki said:

Yes it really does need consideration especially when coming from a chain driven van

can anybody confirm that Fords have officially reduced belt change times from 10 down to 6 years?

This link refers

https://palmersgarage.co.uk/2024/01/17/ford-2-0l-ecoblue-timing-wet-belt-replacement-revised-service-interval/#:~:text=Therefore%2C to address issues with,6 years or 100%2C000 miles.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dawki said:

Very undecided at the moment really want a Transit but but ☹️

Well if I really wanted a Transit I would have one. (but I'm happy with my Ducato)

They went to a wet belt because its more efficient, and it sounds like you can check them without difficulty to minimise the risk.

Whatever you go for there is always lots to go wrong and a small risk of a wrecked engine. 

A GOOGLE search on wet timing belt problems will retrieve plenty of bedtime reading.

I don't know of any manufacturer other than Ford that uses a 'wet' belt on their commercial vehicles (and there have been MAJOR issues with Ford cars that have the Ecoboost motors).

This link summarises the position well.

https://www.millersoils.co.uk/reducing-damage-to-wet-belt-systems/

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your efforts in searching out info Derek

Its very interesting, but when I see an oil seller telling us to use their oil and change it twice as often I am reminded of Warren Buffets advice not to ask a Barber whether you need a haircut.  That may be a good idea but I would rather hear it from the engine manufacturer.

Which is why I was hoping onecal would at least tell us whether he has the Ford Technical Service bulletin he quotes.

(Instead of keep posting over and over again on the same thread to repeat the same advice to contact the vehicle manufacturer, which others have said is a waste of time)