Towing a car

Hi. At the moment we tow a Fiat 500 behind our motorhome using a fully braked A-frame. This applies the car brakes by using a Bowden cable from the over run hitch. We are considering using our Automatic car instead. Obviously I know that we can't tow it with an A-frame, but we could if we used a braked Towing dolly as this would take the front wheels off the ground. My concern though is that the car braking system would not be operated, only the two wheels on the dolly. This would mean that the full weight of the car would in effect be pushing the motorhome when braking. Is there any way around this please.

Stuart

Stuart,

As well as not being legal on the brake situation a tow dolly is considered a recovery aid only and is then classed  as two trailers so brings with it lower speed limits and restrictions on use. 

Here is a link to a discussion on UKCampsite.co.uk https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=18 giving more details.

image.thumb.png.b00f6d79417fb6d0120a17ab8cbfc6d0.png

I think your only answer for an auto car is a full trailer to lift all four wheels off the road.

Keith.

21 minutes ago, Grumpy Grandad said:

My concern though is that the car braking system would not be operated, only the two wheels on the dolly. This would mean that the full weight of the car would in effect be pushing the motorhome when braking. Is there any way around this please.

And also only braking two wheels would not be legal!

From gov.uk webpage on A frame towing,   'ALL BRAKES ... MUST OPERATE...'   https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-frames-and-dollies/a-frames-and-dollies

image.thumb.png.941cdc99a4e810b40fd9685c0e464705.png

Hi Keith. 

Thanks for your quick response. You've pretty well confirmed what I suspected about the brakes. We will just keep towing the Fiat though, as a trailer would put too much weight on to the rear axle of the motorhome. It's also something else to find a home for.

Stuart