campervan or motorhome

Toni

Hi all I'm looking for some information on what would be the better vehicle to purchase for touring Europe several times a year for about 4 weeks at a time and stopping only 1 or 2 nights in one place. 

So would something like a LWB campervan (autosleeper warwick xl / Pilote v630lg) or a Low profile motorhome with a fixed island bed at the rear (Pilote P650 style). Looking at MPG, driving, movability etc.

Any information would be great

Kind regards

Think about length of veuicle. I favour 6m max cos it makes it easier to park in towns etc, plus can be cheaper on ferries ( we are currently in Scandinavia and ferries across fjords are much cheaper for <6m).

I also favour panel vans cos they are narrower which aids accessibility and parking.

we have favoured Globecars and Possl, with fixed bed. Our typical travels are 6-8 weeks at a time. Longest trip, 90 days.

my advise would be to hire different layouts and see if they suit your lifestyle.

• Thanks 1

The advice to try before buying is sound - we are firmly on the motorhome side of the debate, because of the additional space, we’d probably kill each other in a van!  But if we were smaller we might feel differently, certainly a van would be more manoeuvrable.

• Thanks 1

We have a globecar 6.4m PVC. Prefer it to our previous Autosleeper m/home also 6.4m. Narrower so easier to drive and manoeuvre and park. Not so tall so better in the wind. Fixed beds, plenty of storage, especially under the beds via back doors. We dont go away for long periods of time so cant help there and dont record mpg, but not significantly different. We are pleased we moved to a PVC. Depends how you camp, what you NEED to take. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Toni, currently going through the same review. Looking to down size from a full size 7+mtr  MH with loads of space to a 6mtr campervan. We have been asking ourselves what must we have & what have we got a present that we can do without. Ideally a bigger frig than an under bench type, a toilet& shower, room for a Webber Q bbq, anti flap kit for the awning & flyscreens for the side sliding door & an oven. Ideally 6mtr long. Permanently made up bed and a separate dining area behind the drivers swivel seat.By substituting a convection/microwave for the supplied microwave only the Adria Twin 600 comes the closest to our needs.  There are two other models from local converters that come close so I am planning to hire all three over time to see what suits us best. The advice to hire first is in my mind a good solution to minimise a good decision. Good luck with the process.cheers,

• Thanks 1

It is indeed a wise move to hire a PVC first if you have never had one. Over the years we have had a variety and the only ones we found difficult were those with a double seat/table dinette/lounge. We do like to stretch out in comfort especially on rainy days. Even tried that layout in a coachbuilt and couldn’t get on with it. Undoubtedly the best layout we have ever had is our present (2006) Pioneer Renoir which, at just over 6m and as low as a panel van but slightly wider gives us a full, across the rear bathroom, twin single or one large double bed up front and plenty of storage (no garage). We have had a Chausson coachbuilt with all the attributes you seek but, again with a front dinette and it was around 7.5m I think.

Just a final point, friends of ours made the change from an Adria coachbuilt with fixed beds etc to a large PVC with more or less the same layout thinking it would suit their touring better but, a few months into trying it decided it really wasn’t for them and have managed to seek out and do a deal on a similar (but newer) version of the coachbuilt they sold. Happiness reigns again.

PVC living does require a slightly different mindset and although we can live happily with a front or rear lounge version the smaller coachbuilt suits better.

Good luck in the search

Davud

• Thanks 1

Hi Toni, I think that what physically fits you best and not the drivability is the most important aspect. We have had six MH's and we are both on the large side and the present one is the shortest of them all at 6.5 mtrs and we only just cope. No way could we manage in a camper van thats for sure! Anyway you are intending to use it in europe so whats the problem with drivability? Having a bed that you don't have to make up EVERY day is just the best thing so I heartily recommend that option. 

• Thanks 1

We have always shortened and narrowed.
From an overcab-bed to a 6.70x2.30 coachbuilt to a 6.20x220 monocoque and now, only two of us left, a 5.99x210 pvc which is also the threshold length on ferries/bridges.

Obviously, the internal dimensions force some sacrifices but, even though it is small, ours has a very comfortable bed and, swivel toilet, a spacious shower.
Also considering our travel style, a bit of nature but a lot of towns and villages, we would never go back to coachbuilt.

Max

p.s. Europe is big and so are the German or French roads.

But try driving the Aurlandsfjellet or the route 50 towards Hovet and Holo in Norway and you will be able to tell me what drivability means. And I have hundreds of examples.

• Thanks 1

That is exactly our style of nomadic wandering and having had both an A/S Warwick XL and several GRP bodied Executives I can say that the sizes are very similar so the on the road attributes, including mpg, are quite similar but the extra living space attributes well favour the Executive (or similar compact coachbuilt) especially when it rains.

• Thanks 1

Excellent advice above.  It is not clear whether you are changing from and existing van, or are considering buying your first van - although I suspect it is probably the latter.  I would echo the above advice to try a hire (or several) to see what will best suit you.  I know it is expensive, but overall less costly that buying the "wrong" van and then needing to change.

There is no "one-size-fits-all" answer to your question, and what will work best for you will depend on your personal preferences (as is probably clear from the replies above 🙂).  Also consider whether you intend to stop on campsites and use their facilities for washing/showering and washing up, plus the electrical supply, or whether you intend generally using your van's on-board facilities. 

You will find that due that their narrower bodyshells the campervans are more heavily compromised where washrooms and kitchen facilities are concerned when compared to coachbuilt vans.  OTOH, if you want to visit off-the-beaten-track destinations, the arguably more robust, and definitely more compact, campervans IMO win hands down because they are more compact and more manoeuvrable.  (Others will disagree!!  🙂)

The further advantage of using campsites is that, for obvious reasons, you will spend less time cleaning and drying the van's washing facilities, and refilling fresh water and emptying waste water that if using your own - for which you obviously pay more (but, once in Europe, you will find that site prices compare very favourably with UK sire prices.

One more general point is that whatever you decide upon (and assuming that, as most are, it will be Fiat Ducato based) try to get it on the "maxi" chassis.  We had four vans, three on the Ducato base, and one Transit based.  Three were coachbuilts, the other a Ducato campervan on the maxi chassis and the driving difference between the camper and the others was a revelation in terms of ride quality, directional stability, braking capability, and overall road noise and internal rattles.

Final thought - don't forget the EU's 90 in180 days restrictions on the amount of time you can spend cumulatively within the EU.  They may cause you to rethink some of your travel plans.  Good luck whatever you decide.

• Thanks 1