should I be worried?

57 minutes ago, teccer said:

at least I'm still capable to change tyres so if I get a puncture in France I'll change to my spare to get to a garage to get a repair or a new C tyre

And that may still end in a new pair of tyres if the puncture is not repairable and they cannot match your opposite tyre, or spare to make a pair.

2 hours ago, Keithl said:

And that may still end in a new pair of tyres if the puncture is not repairable and they cannot match your opposite tyre, or spare to make a pair.

I agree so I think a visit back to the garage and see what they will do, I'll try to get them to change to continental vancocamper cp, at least they will be swapable with other wheels if needed

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, teccer said:

I agree so I think a visit back to the garage and see what they will do, I'll try to get them to change to continental vancocamper cp, at least they will be swapable with other wheels if needed

I changed all our tyres from Michelin to Continental last year and was very impressed with Conti's advice and back up.

This earlier forum discussion may be of interest

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/29085-urgent-advice-re-tyres/

A I understand it, the tyre-related situation in EU countries is that vehicles must have EXACTLY the same tyres on both ends of an axle. So, whatever replacement tyres are put on your Hymer's middle axle, if you happened to get a puncture in one of those tyres and needed to have the spare wheel put on, there's a potential 'legality' issue outside the UK.

Even when the the UK was an EU country, it never conformed to this 'exactly matching tyres' rule and this should be apparent from the UK MOT test manual.

Presumably, when a UK-registered vehicle is being driven outside the UK and in an EU country and has one (or more) axles that carry tyres that do not exactly match, the vehicle is still deemed to be fully legal while in that EU country as it conforms with UK regulations.

However - as has been warned above - if a tyre punctures in an EU country and cannot be repaired, unless an exactly matching replacement tyre is immediately available (eg. the vehicle is carrying a spare wheel with an exactly matching tyre)  a breakdown service may insist that two new tyres be fitted (or four new tyres if the the vehicle has a twinned-rear-wheel axle) or refuse to fit a spare wheel that carries a 'non-matching' tyre.

Not much teccer can do to insulate himself from this type of risk except to replace all seven of his Hymer's tyres.

good news is the garage has now agreed to remove the mitch agilis3  and  fit continental vancocamper cp tyres so at least now I can use my cp spare in the event of a puncture, even if eu laws are confusing

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, teccer said:

good news is the garage has now agreed to remove the mitch agilis3  and  fit continental vancocamper cp tyres so at least now I can use my cp spare in the event of a puncture, even if eu laws are confusing

thanks to all with your suggestions and advice

This is Michelin's guidance about 'mixing' different tyres.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/advice/choose-tyres/mixing-tyres#:~:text=2 - Fitting different tyres on the same axle&text=This is generally prohibited by,driving with your spare wheel.

Whether (as suggested above) a 'foreign' breakdown company or tyre fitter might quibble over fitting your spare wheel with (presumably) a Michelin Agilis Camping tyre on it in place of a wheel carrying a Continental VancoCamper tyre is anybody's guess. But if you fit the spare wheel yourself, that's academic.

thanks Derek, at least Im still able the change tyres myself, in fact to get the tryes changed I'm just taking the 2 wheels back to the garage to save anymore wear on them as I know they will sell them as new!!, just 4.5 miles on them, a good clean and knowbody will know the difference.

I wonder if the tyres could be replaced with 225/75 R16 CP ones? I have a friend with a tag axle motorhomes with that size fitted e.g. Dethleff Elite.  I am not suggesting that teccer changes all 6 tyres just wondering at the feasability.

These are the sizes of CP-marked tyres now marked by Michelin for 16"-diameter wheels.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-crossclimate-camping?tyreSize=16#sizes

I'm not sure what advantages your suggestion to fit 225/75 R16CP tyres might provide in teccer's case, but, if Michelin tyres were involved, they'd need to be the CrossClimate Camping pattern.

Regarding feasibility, I think current Ducato-based motorhomes built on a tandem-rear-axle AL-KO chassis will have 225/75 R16CP tyres (Continental VancoCamper?) as standard. (In fact, I was a mite surprised that teccer's 2019 vehicle did not have that size of tyre as original equipment.)

It's POSSIBLE that the slightly larger 225/75 profile might cause clearance problems on a Ducato that was specifically built to have 215/75 R16 tyres. I wouldn't have thought so, but the only way to confirm this Yes or No would be to experiment by fitting the 225/75 size.

slight change of subject, just had MOT, advisory, rear wheel slight play, I understand that it's a tapered bearing, can I just adjust it up a bit or have to fit a new bearing?

1 hour ago, teccer said:

1 hour ago, teccer said:

slight change of subject, just had MOT, advisory, rear wheel slight play, I understand that it's a tapered bearing, can I just adjust it up a bit or have to fit a new bearing?

just spoken to a mechanic who said just leave it but to keep an eye on it, so end of subject

I notice you had a similar issue in 2020 (with a 2001 Hymer 694 motorhome that you then owned).

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/49825-mot-fail/

I don't think you provided any follow-up information regarding the 2020 rear-axle wheel bearing's 'roughness' problem, but presumably the garage would have replaced the rear-axle wheel bearing (or at least adjusted it) to allow the MOT test to be passed when the Hymer was retested.

21 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

I notice you had a similar issue in 2020 (with a 2001 Hymer 694 motorhome that you then owned).

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/49825-mot-fail/

I don't think you provided any follow-up information regarding the 2020 rear-axle wheel bearing's 'roughness' problem, but presumably the garage would have replaced the rear-axle wheel bearing (or at least adjusted it) to allow the MOT test to be passed when the Hymer was retested.

sorry I never gave an update in 2020 but they did replace the rear wheel offside bearing 3rd wheel, or so they say because it's the same wheel now and I've only done 4000 kl since then, make me wonder if they only tightened it up a bit.

As I sit here in the van with it peeing down outside I'll post this.

I have a set of Contl 215/75-16C van tyres fitted all round, my spare is also marked as C, but according to Conti tech is built to CP standards, but due to the high load index they cannot mark it CP, if I ever need the spare fitted by a breakdown service I doubt they will ever know they are fitting different spec tyres on the same axle.

When Continental began to market 'motorhome' tyres, the company stated that, as the CP-marking could only be used for tyres that had a a ply-rating that did not exceed 8 (ie. 8PR) the 10PR 215/75 R16 size could not be CP-marked despite being manufactured to CP 'standards' . For a while, that explanation appeared prominently on their website and, if I remember correctly, it was possible to buy a VancoCamper tyre in that size but without the CP-marking.

I don't know if Continental's statement about over-8PR tyres being ineligible for the CP-marking is correct (I never found anything  on-line to support that view), but it's certainly still the case that Continental only offers a 215/75 R16C (8PR or 10PR) but no 215/75 R16CP version. There are however 225/75 R16 tyres that are either 225/75 R16C (8PR or 10PR) or 225/75 R16CP (8PR).

AFAIK Conti are the only suppliers of 215/75-16 10ply tyres for Fiat Ducato's which are due to be sent to mainstream convertors like Hymer group, Michillen make 10ply tyres of that size but advise they are not suitable for motorhomes and the 225 has to be used.

2 hours ago, teccer said:

this is what i'm getting fitted next monday,   

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/continental/vancocamper/215-75-r16c-116-114r-1349152.

it does say 16c but on this website it also says cp

That is exactly the same tyre as my spare, it is not marked as CP, although as I posted above Conti say it is built to that spec. I would suggest you check to see if they now mark them as CP.

Interestingly the Michelin's would have been right on their limit assuming your front axle is rated at 2.1t, the Conti's will be well within their limit.

Edited by colin

This 2011 forum thread discussed 'camping tyres' (some of the embedded links probably won't work nowadays)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/22994-camping-tyres/

In Robinhood's posting of 25  September 2011 on that thread, the following Continental's advice on their Vanco Camper tyres was quoted

As the CP standard acc. to ETRTO is only valid for 8 PR tires, the 10 PR size 215/75R16C marked only as a „C“ tire requires a front inflation with 5.25 bars and a recommended and permitted rear inflation with 6.0 bars. Despite its C marking this tire provides safety reserves like a CP tire.

In the 2011 discussion I said I planned to email the ETRTO for guidance on the 8PR restriction. I did but got no reply. I then asked Michelin about what special testing was done to justify a tyre being CP-marked and was told that no such special testing was carried out and the CP-marking was primarily for 'marketing', indicating that the tyre manufacturer was aiming the tyre at motorhome usage and that it could handle high inflation pressures.

It may well be the case that Continental now marks all VancoCamper tyres "CP" irrespective of their ply-rating. Teccer will find out when he gets the tyres.