Scam???

Cush

Where are they?

Their website just says 'South Yorkshire'

Their Reghistered Offices is claimed to be Unit 1D Shortwood Way Hoyland Barnsley South Yorkshire 

But I have just been along there with Google Maps.  Most of it looks like private housing, nowhere the sort of place that could harbour all the motorhomes they claim to have

8 minutes ago, John52 said:

Where are they?

Their website just says 'South Yorkshire'

Their Reghistered Offices is claimed to be Unit 1D Shortwood Way Hoyland Barnsley South Yorkshire 

But I have just been along there with Google Maps.  Most of it looks like private housing, nowhere the sort of place that could harbour all the motorhomes they claim to have

Not sure where you ended up John but the link Derek provided earlier ends up here

https://www.google.com/maps/place/GT+Leisure+Parts+Ltd/@53.5086047,-1.4602988,98m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x48797b5c7c65e899:0x4710965c25c58f4e!2sCRS+Accident+Repair+Centre+(Cosmetic+Repair+Solutions)+-+Barnsley!8m2!3d53.5085958!4d-1.4617068!16s%2Fg%2F11l6vd2gvt!3m5!1s0x48797bcf32a99a27:0xc7cec50f0bd4c04!8m2!3d53.5086743!4d-1.4597867!16s%2Fg%2F11pv9gf_dx?entry=ttu

• Thanks 1

John52

This image is of the relevant industrial unit at Shortwood Way Hoyland Barnsley, with the green arrow pointing to Unit 1D that houses GT Leisure Parts

image.png.f9cd1d61a60a65aa30c4840f75f1143c.png

and this image shows the front of the GT Leisure Parts unit.

image.png.c60172e121d9329d8053ce03b8f50de1.png

GOOGLE Maps/Earth show no signs of a parking area at/near that address suitable for the large number of motorhomes in the 'inventory' of GT Motorhomes Ltd - which is why I suggested that Cush contact that company. 

The current 'inventory' comprises 69 motorhomes (27 right-hand-drive + 42 left-hand-drive) with pricing in euros. It's possible that GT Motorhomes Ltd offers a 'middle-man' service somewhat similar to Bundesvan, that used to identify motorhomes for sale in Germany and import them for UK buyers - but that's pure guesswork.

GT Motorhomes Ltd is evidently not operating as a common-or-garden UK motorhome dealership and it would be wise for Cush (or anyone else) to contact the company directly and establish exactly what their trading policy is.

• Thanks 1

Thanks

You have to be very careful when there is even a slightly different name

Some firms have gone bust to evade their debts, and set up again with a slightly different name.

Very easy to set up a company in UK apparently

Costs only £12 with no checks made,

Supposedly to help people set up a legitimate business

Unfortunately it helps the scammers set up one too

45 minutes ago, John52 said:

Thanks

You have to be very careful when there is even a slightly different name

Some firms have gone bust to evade their debts, and set up again with a slightly different name.

Very easy to set up a company in UK apparently

Costs only £12 with no checks made,

Supposedly to help people set up a legitimate business

Unfortunately it helps the scammers set up one too

Perhaps slightly off topic, but I think worth stating.

There was a Radio4 investigation a few months ago, which revealed that in some places, whole streets had been used to register bogus companies.  Loans were then taken out, and the unwitting innocent householders were left with bailif's demands for repayment.

Alan

Edited by Alanb
Minor revision

This link may be of interest

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/gt-motorhomes.com

I phoned the contact number on the GT Motorhomes website - it rang but was not answered. I also did some cursory research on the firm's director, but - other than indicating that he was age 50 and was (or  had been) involved with other vehicle-related small limited companies, didn't find anything useful. The company itself seems to have produced no real on-line 'footprint' over time, which makes me very wary...

The blurb on the GT Motorhomes website suggests that 'exporting' is involved, but details are sparse. My own view is that, even if GT Motorhomes is legitimate, it would be wise to assume that the company is not. (Me, I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.)

Yes, I agree.

As an extreme example, there's a right-hand-drive 2008-registered Autocruise "Tempo" advertised at €14,500 (£12,250). The current asking-price in the UK would be around £28,000.

The registration-number (WF08JVV) shown in the advert is correct for a Tempo and the motorhome itself was apparently re-taxed on 25 July 2024.

All very suspicious...

Out of curiosity, instead of doing as Derek, and 'phoning the number, I "Googled" it, which brought up "Who called me", with the the following result:

"This number, primarily associated with Utility Scam, is a landline operated by WAVECREST NETWORKS LIMITED, and is located in Nottingham, England

The overall user rating for this number is Negative . The number 0115 888 3050 has been looked up 1,154 times, leading to 22 user comments that have helped form a clearer picture of the caller's intent.

Analysis of reports indicates that the most vulnerable regions impacted by calls from this number include South EastLondon and Yorkshire and The Humber."

And went on to list various comments associated with the site including "scam" and "fraud".

So I then "googled" Wavecrest Networks Ltd, bringing up Companies House with an address of: 71-75 Shelton Street, London, England, WC2H 9JQ, by which point I had drawn the conclusion that something was seriously wrong with GT Motorhomes.  Whether responsibility for that lies with the present (single) Director, or whether his website has been hijacked, I know not, but would I contemplate buying a van (or even a chocolate teapot!) from them at present?  Would I Hell !!!!!!!!!!!  😞 

Edited by Brian Kirby
correction

• 4 weeks later...