EU Tyre Performance at 1.6mm

rayc

The EU is proposing that tyres must meet the same performance standards at 1.6mm as when new.
Apparently 128 millions of tyres are prematurely replaced annually in the EU adding to environmental pressures.
How will this stack up with the advice within the motorhome fraternity that tyres should be replaced at 5 years irrespective of the amount of tread remaining?
I read a RAC article which said "Tyre and safety experts believe the 1.6mm legal minimum is insufficient to guarantee safety – most recommend a minimum tread depth of 3mm for tyre replacement."
There is big money at involved. This article mentions a saving of £6 billion for European motorists every year. How will the tyre dealerships cope with that loss of income.
I predict plenty of confusion and Police Officers out with their depth gauges.

Michelin's advice on the 1.6mm tyre depth can be read here.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/advice/tyre-basics/tyre-tread-depth#:~:text=The minimum tread depth is,your tyres before this threshold.

It includes the statement

The minimum tread depth is 1.6 mm. This means that it is imperative to change your tyres once this limit has been reached to avoid compromising your safety and breaking the law. But it also means that it is premature to change your tyres before this threshold...

2 hours ago, rayc said:

How will this stack up with the advice within the motorhome fraternity that tyres should be replaced at 5 years irrespective of the amount of tread remaining?

Where do you get that advice from?

Continental clearly state in their Data Book that their tyres are good for TEN years as long as inspected annually after five years, and I have now run two sets to ten years without issue.

Keith.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Keithl said:

Where do you get that advice from?

Keith.

I've seen it mentioned regularly on forums over the 15 years or so I have been motorhoming.  This link to is typical. See under 'Signs of Deterioration'.https://www.motorhomes.co.uk/tyre-safety-month-how-to-maintain-your-motorhome-tyres/

or this one which states that "Some motorhome insurance companies won’t cover tyre-related claims if the tyre is over five years old and you can’t prove they’ve been annually inspected by a competent person." https://camperbuyer.com/blog/tread-carefully-all-you-need-to-know-about-motorhome-tyres

Edited by rayc

4 minutes ago, Keithl said:

Sorry but IMO more fake news to get you to spend money! I will still go by the Continental manufacturers advice.

As I do with mine.  It is though hardly fake news ,  a simple google search of 'motorhome tyre replacement at 5 years' will bring up a multitude of hits from supposedly reputable sources.

I must admit I have heard various sources quoting five years but I always counter with Continentals advice of TEN years and suggest looking for manufacturers recommendations for whatever make of tyre the poster is running.

image.thumb.png.0dab39b6398351811f0487580f97aee0.png

3 hours ago, rayc said:

or this one which states that "Some motorhome insurance companies won’t cover tyre-related claims if the tyre is over five years old and you can’t prove they’ve been annually inspected by a competent person." https://camperbuyer.com/blog/tread-carefully-all-you-need-to-know-about-motorhome-tyres

My tyres are inspected every year by a government approved inspector at a government approved test station in line with government recommendations.

The BTMA's advice on tyre age and service life can be read here

https://btmauk.com/advice-about-tyres/motorists-tyre-care/#1591346077142-c4516b2c-4170

My wife's Skoda Roomster car (bought new in 2009) has covered under 24k miles and is on its 3rd set of tyres. The 1st set were Continentals and all 4 tyres began to 'perish' at the base of the tread blocks after 5 years (MOT advisory in 2014). The 2nd set were Hankooks and all 4 tyres began to 'perish' at the base of the tread blocks after 6 years  (MOT advisory in 2021). The Roomster now has Falken tyres.

I've been told by tyre fitters that this 'perishing' is commonplace and is cosmetic and age-related rather than harmful to a tyre's structure, but it's not pretty and I wasn't prepared to ignore it indefinitely.

Incidentally, my 2024 Skoda Fabia's Owner's Manual warns "Do not use tyres that are more than 6 years old" and the Manual for my 2009 Roomster (that has several pages about wheels/tyres) also advises a 6-years limit and that tyres older than that should be considered for 'emergency' use only.

Over many years I have had to replace worn tyres on a van so rarely that it was never an issue.

Much more of an issue was uv degradation and tyres cracking and whilst most of the time this light perishing was not presumed dangerous it was very often enough for me to change 'em as the last thing I needed on a long haul holiday was a tyre failure.

Enough things can go wrong without encouring them!