Boxer/Relay/Ducato most Reliable Euro 6 Engine (wet-belts ?)

Hi

We might be considering a bespoke conversion depending on the quote we receive which would necessitate buying an empty panel van to convert 

The convertor likes the Sevel vans for a number of reasons- size width and corrosion resistance.

We'd prefer to get a euro 6 version due to where we live.

I understand that different Euro6 engines were fitted in the Fiat versus the Citroen/Peugeot duo, from the research I've done online up until 2021 and they all now use  the same PSA (wetbelt ?)  engine.

Am I right the pre 2021 Fiat Euro 6  2.3Multijet engines use a conventional dry Cam belt, whereas the Pre 2021 Citroen/Peugeot 2.2 or 2.0 HDi Euro 6 use a "wet belt" which is a similar design to Fords Euro 6 Transit engine ?

I've heard that the Ford engines are breaking these wet-belts prematurely essentially destroying the engine.

Is there a similar issue with the Relay/Boxer variants using this similar design? 

Has anyone had a problem?

I am assuming the Fiat would be a more reliable design ?

Likewise has anyone had an issue with the Fiat dry Cam belt on these ?

I realise the earlier Euro 5 Boxer/Relay engines were same as Transit 2.2 so chain based and ( presumably ?) less prone to issues. But not able to go toll-free into emission zones.

Hi 

Quite a lot of teasing questions I am sure you will get many conflicting answers. I think caution is needed in the purchase of some of the vehicles you mention. Do your research and buy wisely. In the end it's personal choice and only you can decide what's best for you 

Regards

11 hours ago, Dionysius said:

I understand that different Euro6 engines were fitted in the Fiat versus the Citroen/Peugeot duo, from the research I've done online up until 2021 and they all now use  the same PSA (wetbelt ?)  engine.

Am I right the pre 2021 Fiat Euro 6  2.3Multijet engines use a conventional dry Cam belt, whereas the Pre 2021 Citroen/Peugeot 2.2 or 2.0 HDi Euro 6 use a "wet belt" which is a similar design to Fords Euro 6 Transit engine

2.3L Euro6 6B (twin EGR circuits) and 6D-TEMP (AdBlue) Fiats use the well-known Iveco-derived unit.

2.2L Euro6D Fiats use the Stellantis 'Family B' unit first used in the Jeep Cherokee.

2.2L Euro6B Peugeot and Citroens use PSA's DW10 unit.

2.2L Euro6D Peugeot, Citroen and Vauxhall/Opel vans (and now Toyota? - not sure) use PSA's DW12 unit 

All have dry belts. 

Edited by Steve928

Euro 6 motors first became available in Ducato in 2016

https://www.aboutcampbtob.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/N13_Fiat.pdf

Also in 2016, "BlueHDi" motors (originally with a 2.0litre capacity) began to be fitted to Peugeot Boxer and Citroen Relay/Jumper models. (Prior to that a Ford-derived 2.2litre motor was used and that had a timing-chain.)

https://www.media.stellantis.com/em-en/peugeot/press/peugeot-rolls-out-its-bluehdi-technology-to-the-boxer

Looking back through Dionysius's postings I note that he (?) has a static caravan, but I can see nothing to indicate any practical motorhome background. The only forum member I'm aware of who commissioned and oversaw a bespoke van conversion was the late-Mel Eastburn, who had a huge amount of motorhome experience, and Mel's project was definitely not problem-free.

This link is to a self-build van project, but may be useful when contemplating a bespoke conversion..

http://deepredmotorhome.com/

The trouble (as I see it) is that the goal-posts are continually being moved. Initially the Auto-Sleepers"Talisman"  model found favour primarily for its short length and bedding layout. Next a panel van conversion was preferred, but the only contender bedding-wise appeared to be a Globecar Trendscout - but that would not have the Euro 6 motor that's now high on the shopping list. Time I think for a reality check...

On 31/07/2024 at 19:48, Dionysius said:

Is there a similar issue with the Relay/Boxer variants using this similar design? 

No , both euro 6 Fiat and Peugeot/ Citroen have 'dry' belts, with a short chain between the cam shafts. 

The Peugeot/Citroen DW  series  is used in Ford and Citroen/Peugeot passanger vehicles, with a long service Interval for the belt, 10 years/100k miles.

The euro 6 engine to avoid is the non adblue Fiat euro 6. This had a dual EGR syste that causes issues.  Very high cost repair , in the region of £10k . The Fiat with adblue is fine.

Second hand vans will not have desirable features such as,  single adjustable passenger seat,  passanger airbag , higher power engines, auto transmission. Are you prepared to drive your nearest and dearest as a passanger with no airbag?

If ordering new from Fiat or Citroen /Peugeot its possible to get a high discount on list prices, this includes all options ordered at the time, discounts can be as high as 45%.

I would caution against a bespoke  build. A second hand professional built PSV will hold its value, and any build issues will have been resolved.  The big name professional converters get massive discounts from the manufacturer  and the vans will usually be loaded  with options a second hand delivery van will never have.

Consider also  a PSV motorhome will be carefully looked after and not suffer the abuse that a commercial van will receive.

One final point regarding converting a SH van is that DVLA are reluctant to change body type to motor caravan. This can cause issues  with many things, for example insurance.  The basic  problem is that  a SH or new van,   will be category N1, commercial  vehicle, even getting  'motor caravan' body type does change this.

A professionally  built PVC will be registered as M1, passanger vehicle.

This has implications with tolls and road charges .

Safety, a PVC from one of the big names will fully comply with all safety standards, including seating restraints,  gas and electrical instalations.

Value for money, with high volumes and huge discounts for the base vehicle and all the fittings, an off the shelf PVC will offer much more than a bespoke build.