Leisure Battery Lifespan aka how long is a piece of string

No, it definitely did not owe you anything.

The original Banner Energy Bull battery range was one of the few intended for slow/deep discharge 'leisure' applications with no specified starting capabilities. They were not sealed and their electrolyte -levels could be topped up. They gained a reputation for premature failure as (it was claimed) water loss was unusually high and failing to regularly check the electrolyte-level and top up if necessary would result in the battery going 'dry' and dying.

Rapido used to fit Energy Bull batteries as their standard leisure battery (my 2015 Rapido 640F motorhome had a 100Ah one) and - if I remember correctly - the Rapido handbook for that vehicle suggested a lifespan of 3 years. I replaced the Rapido's Banner battery at 5 years (with a Varta battery) but that was as a precautionary measure rather than as a necessity.

Current Banner Energy Bull batteries are now advertised as 'dual purpose' (ie. with an engine-starting capability) and I THINK their electrolyte-level can still be topped up.

https://www.bannerbatterien.com/en-gb/Products/Starter-Batteries/Energy-Bull/226-957-51-DUAL-POWER

Posted (edited)

Derek

Your comments about the Energy Bull are interesting and apposite. So far as I could tell the EB I had was said to be "maintenance free" . I was sceptical but as far as i can remember the caps for the cells were not easily removable and when I did the electrolyte level seemed OK (I didn't test it with my hydrometer). I soon gave up doing that. At 230ah its a big battery but with a compressor fridge and diesel heating it has a big job albeit backed up by 2 x 80watt solar panels and a Votronic MTTP charge controller.

East Neuk replaced the battery with an Exide strong pro EE2353 235ah which I think is also a dual function battery and perhaps that matches the high demands of the diesel heating when starting up. Certainly the CCA at 1200 is very high. 

I recollect that views have been expressed that the "old" Energy Bull was not all it claimed to be but mine served me well before its sudden death. 

Edited by HymerVan

A couple of old Energy Bull 'maintenance free' links

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/userfiles/PDFs/product information/Batteries/Banner Batteries FAQs.pdf

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/41437-banner-energy-bull-batteries-need-maintenance/

and - from Banner's current Energy Bull advert - the latest dual-purpose version is "maintenance-friendly" (whatever that means!) rather than maintenance free.

The cell-caps could be very hard to remove (Banner marketed a tool to do it, but I DIYed one from a bit of aluminium).

I have just replaced both the truck battery & the house battery. Both in their 4th year. The house battery was in part a cause of issues I had with the rear slideout. The truck battery gave no warning it just failed to start the engine. I borrowed a lithium jump starter drove 200klms to Broken Hill to buy my own jump pack. Then the next day drove down to the northern end of Adelaide a further 460klms to obtain the correct battery as there was none in Broken Hill. All good back on the road, now at Uluṟu (Ayres Rock). The second image shows the red soil near the Olga's not far from the rock. Cheers,

IMG_0407.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

I replaced the original Fiat battery and Banner AGM leisure battery at 8 years as a precaution, 5 years later the Varta replacements are about knackered, I shall be fitting Banner AGM again next, I note the sheet for one I'm looking at says "absolutely no maintenance", and I never did any maintenance on the old Banner.

On 15/08/2024 at 00:45, Geeco said:

I have just replaced both the truck battery & the house battery. Both in their 4th year. The house battery was in part a cause of issues I had with the rear slideout. The truck battery gave no warning it just failed to start the engine. I borrowed a lithium jump starter drove 200klms to Broken Hill to buy my own jump pack. Then the next day drove down to the northern end of Adelaide a further 460klms to obtain the correct battery as there was none in Broken Hill. All good back on the road, now at Uluṟu (Ayres Rock). The second image shows the red soil near the Olga's not far from the rock. Cheers,

IMG_0407.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

40 years ago or so I remember climbing the rock. Set off at first light. Got the certificate somewhere. Great photo.

Interesting you mention climbing "the rock". It is no longer an option, the indigenous people have laid claim to the area and they have certain "sacred sites" around the base of the rock where you are told not even allowed to take photos. It is a lot like the "politically correct" movement in your part of the world.  Today we did a round trip from Alice Springs to Ormiston Gorge in the West Macdonnell ranges 252 klms return journey. Very interesting geology. The image below is the Ellery Creek Big Hole & the second image is Ormiston Gorge. Enjoy cheers,