Traversing Rouen ZFE Area

simians

The traversing of Rouen often comes up as a topic of concern for many on Motorhome Forums, at least those not driving vehicles permitted within the exemption categories.

Well, as I understand it since mid 2024 a relaxation of the rules has been decreed. That is, for 24 days in total per annum, banned vehicle categories wll be permitted to travel within the hallowed 'Zone.' Of course anyone interested will check this out and confirm for themselves, I don't think anyone (including moi) can be 100% sure of their facts concerning he Rouen ZeFFingE and its predilection for confusing the hapless motorist. 

The downside to gaining this exemption requires online form application, and to be submitted within 24 hours of intention to enter the Zone. 

Oh you tease.

I know that last year Derek contacted them and was told that motorhomes would be exempt until 2024 (well more or less and in French)and I carried his reply with me as we drove through. But there was indication of when in 2024 in would end.

Please tell us the source of this useful information and any details you may have as to where to get the application form. But it looks promising.

GOOGLE-search on rouen zfe 24 jours

(example of results below)

https://zfe.metropole-rouen-normandie.fr/derogations/le-pass-zfe-m-24h#:~:text=À compter du 1er juillet,ouverts à tous et gratuit.

(According to GOOGLE Translate)

As of July 1, 2024, a 24-hour (one-day) Pass, available for a maximum of 24 days per calendar year, allows you to drive and park in the ZFE-m regardless of the air quality certificate of the vehicle used. The application and use of this Pass are open to all and free of charge.

Each Pass has a duration of 24 hours: from midnight to 11:59 p.m. It must be requested at the latest the day before the need on My Online Procedures of the Metropolis. You must have the registration certificate, precise information concerning the vehicle must be provided. The Pass is assigned to a vehicle.

By validating the request, you will immediately obtain your Pass by download. You cannot cancel it. The document must be presented to the police in the event of a check. When the vehicle is parked on the public highway, the Pass must remain visible and legible.

A maximum of 24 Ppasses can be issued per calendar year for a vehicle. In the event of needs over several consecutive days, you will have to make a request for each day.

I just wanted to dream the same dream @simians

Thanks for those details Derek and bonjour a tous Rouen ZFE-m. I'll let you know how I get on next month.

It's a great idea and it's a pity our motorhome clubs did not try to get such a dispensation for the London LEZ. We miss our campsite at Lee Valley and so no longer visit London. It would be so easy to allow any vehicle a once in/out visit each year. But I guess neither of the clubs suggested it.

Just registered and applied for a pass. You need to upload V5 for the first time of asking. They provided a helpful translation and so it took about 15mins. The pass was then immediately available in pdf form.

Well done @simiansand @Derek Uzzell...........you both put this site way ahead of the "other Forums" that I am part of who are still discussing diversions around Rouen.Thanks againPASS.thumb.jpg.865305e1df28371302f0bb45dbb0590d.jpg

My approach to Rouen has hitherto been to avoid it, not so much for the LEZ, but simply because the alternative route down the D6015 along the left-hand side of the Seine is pleasanter and arguably quicker.

The following assumes you approach Rouen from the North down the A28/N28.

As you approach Rouen, you will pass under gantry signs for Rouen Centre/Toutes Directions above the left-hand lane/s (N28/E402). 

You will next lose the D928 SP Bois Gillaume/ Mont St Aignan  to your right. 

At the next set of gantries, approaching the two tunnels, you will find signs above the LH carriageway/s for N28 and A13 to Le Mans and Elbeuf, and above the right-hand carriageways for N15 to Cergy-Pontoise, Vernon and Evreux.  Take the right hand lanes into, and though, the right-hand tunnel. 

As you emerge from the tunnel keep left and follow signs for left turn to Cergy-Pontoise, Evreux and Vernon at traffic lights ahead.  There are three left turning lanes at the lights: keep to the right-hand lane and stay right as you turn left across the dual carriageway, following Cergy Pontoise Evreux and Vernon, and keep right to pass the large church ahead on its left-hand side.

Once past the church take the right fork onto the D6015 for Vernon and Evreux (the left fork being for Cergy-Pontoise). 

You are now heading South on the D6015 with the Seine to your right.  The next "event" is the roundabout at Amfreville-la-mi-Voie, at which keep ahead for A13, Evreux and Vernon.    Ditto at following roundabout.

At the third, Port St-Ouen, roundabout, you have two choices, depending on whether your route is South towards Chartres, or South-West towards Le Mans.

For the former, take the second (left turn) exit to continue on D6015, SP Evreux and Vernon: if the letter, take the first (right turn) exit onto D7 SP A13, Elbeuf and Tourville-la-Riviere.

Unless the Rouen LEZ borders have been revised over the past couple of years (Derek may know), this route completely avoids the LEZ, is not much longer than going through Rouen, is much less hassle, and is a much (IMO) pleasanter drive. See Brian's next post below...

What's not to like?  🙂 

• Like 1

Hi my command of the French language is rudimentary so could be taking a wrong direction but if I got to the correct page it informed me that my crit air 3 motorhome didn’t need a day pass to go through the Rouen emissions zone. In a previous discussion Derek posted that level 3 was ok for 2024 but would need level 4 from 1/1/25 so would my status change come the new year

Regards David 

davidmac, when you know your actual date of travelling within the ZFE could you not just fill in the form regardless of whether or not you can confirm if your m/h actually requires a pass? If it rejects your application on the premise that your Crit aire status allows you access (as of right), then taking a screenshot of the rejection form should be proof that you made the attempt, should satisfy the flics..........probably! Anyway it's only a 135-500€ fine for a transgression!

Brian K, while the scenic route may appeal as an alternative route circumventing the ZFE, I'd personally consider it ideally a summer route. This time of year, or least shortly, many M/Hhomers travelling the western France routes are chasing the winter sun and most are usually wanting to make reasonable progress. The often poor weather and the increasing chance  of snow in the Pyrenees make this something to bear in mind, at least for me. Not in a rush but not looking for anymore roundabouts than have to be endured. The French have  contracted roundabout mania in the last couple of decades. 🤨

This is very embarrassing!  🙃 Please disregard my claim above that the described route passes outside the Rouen LEZ.  Total confusion of facts and dates on my part.  Apologies. 

I last used the route in September 2022, when the LEZ was first introduced.  I'd checked relevance at the time for our van, which was Crit'Air 2 rated.  It was therefore legal within the LEZ - through which, as Derek has kindly pointed out above - my described route passes.  Somehow, in the interim, that had lodged in my memory as by-passing the LEZ, rather than having a van with an LEZ compliant engine.  Mea Culpa!

For the avoidance of possibly expensive penalties in case anyone should take my incorrect claim that the described route does not enter the LEZ at face value, and proceed to follow it, I should be most grateful if Derek or Keith could kindly delete or edit the final paragraph of my post above to remove the assertion that the route does not enter the LEZ.

If that is not possible, then please delete the whole post.  The route remains, as stated, a pleasanter south-bound alternative to driving through Rouen, so it may be worth retaining (minus the claim that it evades the LEZ!) on that basis alone, but it definitely takes one into the LEZ.

Anyone wishing to get the full details on the LEZ might like to copy and paste this URL:   https://zfe.metropole-rouen-normandie.fr/  into Google Translate, which will return a pretty much flawless translation of the whole website into English.

Vehicles with Crit'Air 3 and above are presently entitled to drive through, and stop in, the LEZ.  A proposal to raise the minimum compliant standard to Crit'Air 2 from 2025 is presently suspended, but seems likely to come into force at an (unspecified) later date. 

So, if your van is Crit'Air 3 compliant, don't forget to check whether the minimum standard has been raised to Crit'Air 2 before assuming you can still legally traverse the Rouen zone.

(Previous post edited as requested - Keith)

Hi, Simians, my trip is planned for next June so I have plenty of time to sort things out. After seeing your original post I thought I would check it out. Getting a fine would make it a very expensive jaunt .

Brian, I think you have got your Crit-Aire numbers the wrong way around. One is high emissions five is low.

Regards David 

Meant in jest, yes indeed expensive.

From Dieppe it's the Gustave Flaubert bridge for me, as is usual. Now with a Pass, I'll be able to traverse Rouen without the necessity of keeping a wary eye out as I have been so inclined to do in the ZFE era! 

2 hours ago, Brian Kirby said:

This is very embarrassing!  🙃 Please disregard my claim above that the described route passes outside the Rouen LEZ.  Total confusion of facts and dates on my part.  Apologies. 

(Previous post edited as requested - Keith)

Many thanks, Keith.  🙂 

8 hours ago, davidmac said:

Hi my command of the French language is rudimentary so could be taking a wrong direction but if I got to the correct page it informed me that my crit air 3 motorhome didn’t need a day pass to go through the Rouen emissions zone. In a previous discussion Derek posted that level 3 was ok for 2024 but would need level 4 from 1/1/25 so would my status change come the new year

Regards David 

Yes when I applied for my pass, as above,it also told me I did not need a pass with a Crit air 3. Asking for November 2024.From your post this may be OK until 1/1/25.

Anyway I just put Crit air 4 and got the pass.

Classifications 1,2,and 3 are compliant until 1st Jan. 2025. After that date Class 3 becomes a vehicle non grata. With the introduction of this new 24/24 pass system that restriction implemented on 21st Jan is probably irrelevant for those Class 3 bods requiring just an hour or 2 passing through Rouen. 

I'm prepared to be massively corrected,  but the compliancy rules don't and didn't apply to vehicles of whichever class between 8:00pm and 8:00am. Exception I believe being gay Paree. So in extremis one could  always do a bit of night driving, should the 24/24 Pass come to eventually pass over as it were, ie be revoked.

This Rouen 24 hour Pass system is being considered in other French jurisdictions I understand, I certainly hope so👍

15 hours ago, davidmac said:

...............................................Brian, I think you have got your Crit-Aire numbers the wrong way around. One is high emissions five is low.

Regards David 

Hello David.  

The following is from the RAC website explaining the Crit'Air vignettes and their meanings in terms of vehicle emissions classes.

Crit'Air sticker categories

• Crit’Air 0/E - for zero emission electric and hydrogen vehicles - green sticker
  • Crit’Air 1 - for plug-in hybrid vehicles and Euro 5, 6 petrol vehicles - purple sticker
  • Crit’Air 2 - for vehicles that conform to the Euro 4 petrol vehicles, and Euro 5, 6 diesel vehicles - yellow sticker
  • Crit’Air 3 - for vehicles that conform to the Euro 2, 3 petrol vehicles and Euro 4 diesel vehicles - orange sticker
  • Crit’Air 4 - for vehicles that conform to the Euro 3 diesel vehicles - burgundy sticker
  • Crit’Air 5 - for vehicles that conform to the Euro 2 diesel vehicles - dark grey sticker

As can be seen, the higher the emissions from the vehicle, the higher the number on the vignette. 

Apologies if my terminology above caused confusion.  By "higher", I was intending to refer to the emissions standard the vehicle had attained (i.e. higher standard = lower emissions) and not the number on the Crit'Air vignette.

18 hours ago, simians said:

............................................Brian K, while the scenic route may appeal as an alternative route circumventing the ZFE, I'd personally consider it ideally a summer route. This time of year, or least shortly, many M/Hhomers travelling the western France routes are chasing the winter sun and most are usually wanting to make reasonable progress. The often poor weather and the increasing chance  of snow in the Pyrenees make this something to bear in mind, at least for me. Not in a rush but not looking for anymore roundabouts than have to be endured. The French have  contracted roundabout mania in the last couple of decades. 🤨

It's very much a matter of personal choice, but in terms of distance and duration my impression is that whereas it may be a bit longer and slower the differences are not that great.  It also depends on whether one prioritises cost, time, or distance.

So, I decided to settle my curiosity and had a little "play" with my favourite, route planning, "Autoroute" programme.

I set the start as A28 Junction 13 (Isneauville, just North of Rouen) and the end point as the interchange between D18 and A13 at Oissel, South West of Rouen, and left Autoroute to choose its own routes between those points.

Autoroute offers three routing options, Quickest, Shortest, and Preferred.  So, with Preferred set to avoid toll roads, the results were:

Quickest 31 miles and 34 minutes,

Shortest 26.4 miles and 55 minutes, and 

Preferred 31 miles and 34 minutes.

I then tweaked the route to replicate my favoured route, by introducing a waypoint at the third, "Le Port Saint Ouen", roundabout, and repeated the exercise.

Results:

Quickest 33.3 miles and 40 minutes.

Shortest 30.9 miles and 78 minutes, 

Preferred 33.3 miles and 40 minutes.

The time difference between the two shortest variants seems mainly due to the use of some very minor roads between the Le Port St Ouen roundabout and the Oissel interchange. 

Also worth noting is that the untweaked Autoroute route was straight down through Bois Gillaume on the D928, across the "Gillaume le Conquerant" Seine bridge and on via Petit Couronne, whereas the Quickest option went via the Pont Mathilde and down West bank of the Seine and St Etienne du Rouvray, which route involved three roundabouts!  🙂 

Number of roundabouts aside, a difference of 2.3 miles and 6 minutes over a total distance of 30 odd miles doesn't seem that high a penalty to pay for a pleasanter, more relaxed, drive.  No obligation, of course!  🙂 In practise, local traffic conditions seem likely to play a larger role on travel time on any given day than the choice between the above two routes.

Edited by Brian Kirby

1 hour ago, davidmac said:

Hi Brian, my mistake, I had read somewhere that the threshold for Rouen was being raised from 3 to 4 . Unfortunately it doesn’t take much to confuse me nowadays .

Regards David 

No need, David.  It is somewhat counter-intuitive, just ask Volkswagen!  🙂 

32 minutes ago, teccer said:

plus I  have the Crit’Air 4 -

Go back up to Derek's 15/10 post above, and copy the link to the Rouen council website.  Then open (or downlead and open) Google Translate.  Post the copied link into the left-hand blank page at the top of the screen - where it says "detect language" - and then switch to the right-hand blank screen and set that to translate to English.  The link will then appear in that page also and, when you click on it, it will open the Rouen website, simultaneously translating it into pretty well flawless English.

2 hours ago, teccer said:

plus I  have the Crit’Air 4 -

As already advised by BK google translate is your amigo.. Couple of things I can add, is first of all scan your V5c, the page headed Registration Certificate, select 'Request a ZFE m- pass' box.

In the box 'Identification number or number in the type series (heading E)' slightly confusing?, I just entered my Document reference number found on the front page of my V5c., wasn't rejected. 

Process only takes 10 minutes.