Traversing Rouen ZFE Area

simians

Has anyone ever cared for whether you have the critair sticker or not? Even the french themselves seem to largely ignore it, at least I see a lot of cars and commercial vans 
without.

My impression is that the idea is dead in the water and not really enforced by anyone.

• Haha 1

I agree that the Crit air like the Angles Morts and the zone in Rouen are not really taken seriously. Until you meet the Enforcer who takes it all very seriously.

I feel much happier just having these things sorted and being legal for very little effort.

10 hours ago, spirou said:

Has anyone ever cared for whether you have the critair sticker or not? Even the french themselves seem to largely ignore it, at least I see a lot of cars and commercial vans 
without.

My impression is that the idea is dead in the water and not really enforced by anyone.

It is not mandatory for a vehicle (French-registered or 'foreign') being driven in France to carry a Crit'Air sticker - the only time a sticker becomes relevant is when a vehicle enters a French clean-air zone and many French drivers won't do this. After the Crit'Air scheme came into being I obtained stickers for my Rapido motorhome and for my Hyundai car on a just-in-case basis, but - as I avoid driving in large cities like the plague - I never actually needed the stickers.

This 2022 French article stated that, 1,380 Crit-Air-related fines were issued between July 2021 and October 2022 iin Paris and its inner suburbs. (No more recent data seems to be easily available for Paris)

https://www.20minutes.fr/paris/4015941-20221222-grand-paris-pres-1-400-amendes-liees-vignette-crit-air-depuis-2021#:~:text=Selon des chiffres communiqués à,Paris et en petite couronne.

The French transport authorities and the metropolises that have clean-air zones fully accept that the only realistic way to crack down hard on motorists breaking the Crit'Air rules is by using camera systems and automated fining (ie. analogous to speed-camera systems). Crit'Air automated systems have been trialled and the current (optimistic!) expectation is that these will  become active in 2025..  

Regarding the Rouen ZFE, a March 2024 "76actu" article stated

Fines, but no "dedicated checks" for the police
Concerning the police, "there are no checks dedicated to compliance with the ZFE", the State services assure us. Since March 1, 2023, 10 violations of compliance with the ZFE (absence of a sticker or driving with a prohibited vehicle) have been noted by the national police.

They have given rise to fines, but only during checks for another traffic violation, such as speeding, using a phone while driving or not having a license, for example. Offenders have been exposed to hefty fines:

For private vehicles, light commercial vehicles and two-wheelers: 3rd class fine: €68 (reduced fixed fine: €45 and increased €180); For heavy goods vehicles: 4th class fine: €135 (reduced fixed fine: €90 and increased €375).

So - unless the Rouen police actually stop you within the city's ZFE for a roadside check or some sort of 'ordinary' motoring infringement - even if you have no Crit'Air sticker, or the wrong sticker, the chances of being fined are minimal.