Caravan Club V Camping and Caravanning Club

Jackal

Had problems getting into our chosen CC Club site, so joined the C and C Club and stayed there.

Without wishing to sound too bolshie, we certainly didn't like the way all the facilities and I mean all the facilities were religiously locked at 10:30am regardless of whether they were physically being cleaned or not.

Surely if there is only one cleaner at work then only that facility should be shut to enable punters to use an alternative?

Is this the norm?

At every CC Club site we've stayed in, common sense seems to have prevailed and only as facilities are cleaned are they are shut.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Le Thou

No problems with the CC but from experience as a member of the CCC it was not a good one.

I read somewhere about an old chap, in his eighties, who rolled up at the CCC site were he had pre-booked and on presenting his membership card and he duly asked about his senior citizen discount to which he replied that he had been a senior citizen for almost 20 years but the warden behind the counter insisted that he had to go and get his wife from the MH to prove that she too qualified for the discount!

Unbeleivable but true!

We stayed on a CCC site at Criccieth last year and to it was not a pleasant experience. CCC ?? No thanks.

I'll stick with the Caravan Club

we find the C&CC marginally less offensive to motorhomers than the CC, but it's a close call

left the CC because of the official lack of support towards motorhomes

am drifting from CCC due to rampant apathy - only stay because I want a CCI every year - and in future may need them for cheap ferry deals

at least on some CCC sites we're not forced to pay for electricity

a plague on both their houses

B-)

The worst experience we had with the CCC was 3 years ago at the NEC Birmingham Feb. we had booked to stay 3 nights and we were in our previous motorhome a Eriba Car a lovley little motorhome, settled in had a day around the show settled down for the evening and it started to snow.

Put the heating on and settled down for the evening, about 10pm the snow was falling heavily and then our gas ran out, no problem we would go and get some as the temperary site warden had gas. But then came the shock because we had not got the right size bottle he said he could not let us have one there was nothing he could or would do, although they were sitting there with electric hook ups and gas bottles outside the van we could not have one.

So with me in tears the only thing to do was to pack up at 10.45pm and make our way home through heavy snow and away from the friendly club I have since always had a rye smile when referred to as the friendly club.

Because some of the sites are handy and good we won't cut our noses to spite our faces and not be in the club, but would never realy on them again and of course now with the Hymer we always have 2 gas bottles so would not be put in that position again. Carol.

true about the hard standings - and they do have an obsession about pre-booking 2 night s at a time. ..

but .. ..

C&CC didn't refuse to get involved in the Motorhome Parking debate - you know - provision for high vehicles - on the basis that that was political

just the month after they actively lobbied against speed limits in devon / Cornwall adversely affecting their members ie caravanners

presumably that wasn't political

nor have i ever been told by C&CC that I can't have that pitch because they only want caravans there - no not because of practical issues - it was just a really nicely positioned pitch they were saving for a caravan! - and they were 'dumping' motorhomes on grotty little pitches

nor have I been told to go away and stop complaining when I objected to the caravanners on either side overspilling onto our pitch with their

awnings / windbreaks / 4x4 x2 / dogs / kids / bikes

B-)

Ah, yes. Hardstandings.

Twas on wet grass that we camped last night.

And it got even wetter with my unproductive attempts to get our boiler to work!

No problem getting off this morning but the inside of the van now needs a mop or two, or three.

But let's face it, I'd rather not.

Have never recovered since being pulled off by a 25 year old Merc on snowy grass in Germany! Oh the pride!

We have just returned from a CC site, Ferry Meadows in Peterboro, which was fully booked for the weekend. We are not members but we were still treated as if we were and the facilities were superb, electric hook-up in the pitch price and no extra charge for the dog. There was a 50/50 mix of caravaners and motorhomes and they all seemed friendly despite the CC&C sticker on rear of the van, perhaps they only spoke to me out of pity.

This was our first visit to a CC site and have been left very impressed.

John D.

Guest Le Thou
Back to Criccieth, and on the following morning after, the night before a heavy rain it took 3 vehicles to pull a romahome of its pitch due to a very wet night and did the warden with his discovery help ?? No

I subscribe to both clubs, friendliness depends on the individual wardens and how stressed they are at the time you meet them. Most of them are friendly some of the time, and some are friendly most of the time - strange that - they must be at least part human, whereas motorhomers using their services never moan - do they?

I do find it strange that all wardens have a very intimate and almost indecent relationship with their sods, upset their grass at your own risk :D

Overall they do an excellent job - the only gripe I have is with the cost of staying on some of the club sites, the CC £18 per night in Blackpool, at least there is always room on that site for you to stay. The C&CC have a number of basic sites with a more reasonable charge and a choice of paying/using electricity, cheapest was £6/night, and special OAP tariffs too. Still not so economical as staying on aires in France.

Regards Terry

some are great - wardens can be terrific and friendly - my issues have come from orders and attitudes handed down - not with local people at all.

both clubs exist primarily for caravans now - despite C&CC's origins

they cater for people booking in for at least a week at a time, or a long weekend simple easy no hassle

[well until they lift the awning revealing all the grotty brown areas :-> ]

B-)

I'm not in this debate as I can't really comment but I notice Terry said not so economical as staying on Aires in France . I say not as cheap as staying on a Campsite in France either we have had some pretty good ones at not more than £13 for all of us can't be bad.

I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with Terry.

But I'm dropping the CC now because of their high prices. Very nice sites but just too expensive now. Perhaps I'll rejoin later?

Edit: Just re-read Terry's post. I beat you! We stayed on C&CC at Walton on Thames (a very nice site incidentally) and for 2 people with old git discount it came to £3.90! No electricity in that price of course. I see that in next year's book it's still only £4.20. Highly recommended and not just 'cos it's cheap :-D

Must point out to Terry that the discount to older members starts 55 years of age and not OAP age which I have always assumed is 65 for men and 60 for women. The discount of course does not apply in the high season. Although the CCC as raised its site fees this coming year, the cost of most CC sites makes it a very expensive nights stay, one that I personaly would not pay no matter how big a smile is on the face of the site warden.

We belong to both. Overall we prefer the caravan club but both also run a good variety of cl/cs which we intend to explore sometime.We have never felt prejudiced against because we were motorcaravanners and the C&CC club run a system for motorhomers where for about £4.50 you can use all the facilities for 3 hours.

Quite right Chas! I'm eligible for old git discount but not for OAP :-D

As pointed out above this has to apply to all campers and you need to prove it. As my wife is 2 years younger than me it hurt me to have to pay full price for her while I waited for her to catch up. The site warden told me it was my penalty for having a "young" wife.

As for High season? I'm not sure I'd fancy it then anyway. Too crowded.

twooks - 2007-11-18 10:07 PM

- only stay because I want a CCI every year - and in future may need them for cheap ferry deals

We're in the Motorcaravanners Club, mainly so we can get our annual CCI - heckuva lot cheaper than joining the big clubs when that's the main thing we want! Maybe you should consider it Jackie?

As for the CC, we use them the same way they use motorcaravanners - for what we can get. When we know we're going to do a lot of UK touring (eg a year when we're not crossing the water in summer) we join the CC for an odd year, but only for CL's, not their Club (Class) Sites.

And IMHO you can get just as good ferry deals without them - and even if they saved me a few quid I don't think it'd justify the membership fee.

Tony

I'm a member of both clubs solely to gain access to the CLs and CCs which I use one weekend in two throughout the year. I only use club sites as a last resort, i.e if convinced the weather irrefutably dictates hard standings only or there is no alternative within walking distance of where I want to go.

The club sites are so expensive it offends my innate sense of Northern thrift to stay on them. Also, having invested time and money making my van energy self-suffficient, I deeply resent being forced to pay for a hook-up I don't need, as is often the case with the more developed club sites.

Until the advent of Star-Trek style matter transporters to move the van instantly to France every Friday evening, I expect I'll have to stick with the clubs, but its purely a marriage of necessity.

Bob

twooks - 2007-11-18 10:07 PM  and in future may need them for cheap ferry deals at least on some CCC sites we're not forced to pay for electricity a plague on both their houses B-)

You can get much better ferry deals than with the clubs by booking direct in most cases.

Guest Tracker

It all depends what one expects and wants from a site.

If, like us, all you need is a safe place to park overnight and no facilities other than a pit and a tap every third day, well then yes both the clubs can be, with some notable exceptions, overly pricey and generally, but by no means always,somewhat unwelcoming to the nomadic one nighters.

If on the other hand you enjoy the site atmosphere and the wide variety of campers - from the sublime to the ridiculous - to watch, and you enjoy the security of advanced booking and being based in place from where you can venture forth safe in the knowledge that your pitch awaits your return, then the club sites do have a lot to offer.

Yer pays yer cash and takes yer choice!

Usinmyknaus - 2007-11-19 9:33 AM

The club sites are so expensive it offends my innate sense of Northern thrift to stay on them.

Ah! You must be from Northern Surrey then?

Only joking. But you make me realise that I must be a northerner at heart :-D

Thanks for that to Tony & Miami.

I'd forgotten about the Motorcaravanners option [possibly because we're not into rallying] tho I used to join in on the forums until they made it members only.

Jollies for 2008 are pretty much sorted out now, so if I let membership of CCC lapse and think about it next year.

B-)

Archived