Caravan Club V Camping and Caravanning Club

Jackal

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Midge repellent. Try the Avon out before you buy a crateful. Midges love me and the Avon doesn't deter them. however it is said that the Skye road bridge "was built on it" as the workies smothered themselves in it before venturing out. Best to take a selection of potion/lotions. The coils which you burn certainly kill them off but it is said that these coils themselves are unhealthy and shouldn't be used in confined spaces. However they are so effective that we use them in the van. Waking up to find the place covered in dead beasties gives me a feeling of satisfaction. It would be great if the midge eating machine could be made in a much smaller, portable version. Maybe someday. In the meantime continue to visit Scotland. It is very beautiful.

ike

Guest Tracker

The beginning of winter or the end of winter are the only other completely midge free times!

I don't know for sure as I have not been in winter - but I am told that even then the little bl##ders can appear on warm still days and it would not surprise me at all!

Up to the end of May and after the end of September they are less voracious but can still make a mess of your skin when unprotected.

The West Coast is far worse than the East Coast and the cooler, windier and wetter it is the less you will see of them!

JayKay - 2007-11-18 10:29 PM

We have just returned from a CC site, Ferry Meadows in Peterboro, which was fully booked for the weekend. We are not members but we were still treated as if we were and the facilities were superb, electric hook-up in the pitch price and no extra charge for the dog. There was a 50/50 mix of caravaners and motorhomes and they all seemed friendly despite the CC&C sticker on rear of the van, perhaps they only spoke to me out of pity.

This was our first visit to a CC site and have been left very impressed.

John D.

We were at Ferry Meadows last weekend, tis a very nice site, we go loads as its local to us, execellent walking for our Staffy & Cocker Spaniel

Archived