Caravan Club V Camping and Caravanning Club

Jackal

Considering joining CC to purchase their european campsite guide. I know non members can purchase but at a much more expensive cost. the difference between the price guide cost would help offset the m'shop cost. Is the guide worth it?

ike

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

never used it - never had any problem finding sites - I use Internet before we go, and ACSI [with card] and local tourist info,

and, of course, sites like this for recommendations

as for your question - depends how much you're going to use the rest of their services

B-)

incidentally, wrote to CC before we left explaining our concerns re their perceived attitude - to paraphrase their response

'couldn't give a $h1t - got members coming out of their ears resign if you wish'

so we did

Guest Tracker
twooks - 2007-11-19 12:54 PM

incidentally, wrote to CC before we left explaining our concerns re their perceived attitude - to paraphrase their response

'couldn't give a $h1t - got members coming out of their ears resign if you wish'

so we did

That about summed up their attitude when I wrote arguing against compulsory electric hook ups a few years back - the 'majority' wanted it so that makes it OK.

So come renewal time I deprived them of my money - and best of all I have not missed them at all!

Mind you I have noticed a deterioration of the attitude from the used to be 'friendly club' on sites - but their THS and rally people are a much more friendly and cheerful crowd.

The real clincher for us for the CCC over the CC is no need to pre book for most rallies and THSs.

We joined the C&CC purely for the wonderful members only site at Luss on Loch Lomond....We now try and use CS at peak times but out of high season the sites in Scotland and good and have not met an unfriendly site assistant or manager...perhaps if you are nice to them then they are nice to you....I agree that the site fees are getting a bit expensive so as I said we use as many cs and independent cheaper sites.

The the site at Luss is magnificent especially on a clear day as you are right at the lochside....notice I didnt say sunny as that is few and far between in Scotland (lol) (lol) (lol)

ike - 2007-11-19 12:48 PM

Considering joining CC to purchase their european campsite guide. I know non members can purchase but at a much more expensive cost. the difference between the price guide cost would help offset the m'shop cost. Is the guide worth it?

ike

I think it is worth it, we always take it with us, although as it is information submitted by members, there are sometimes inaccuracies where directions are concerned. But on the whole we find the comments made about the sites very useful, and of course it has loads of sites in it.

We have just paid to renew with the CC, it cost £35 for 2 of us. I have just had a look at the CC website regarding their prices for the 2007 editions of the Caravan Europe guides. Prices for the 2008 editions are not yet available. For non members the price is £15.99 per issue (they do 2 of them) and it is £25 for 2, plus £1.95 postage. For members it is £8.50 for Volume 1, £8.00 for Volume 2, for the 2 together it is £16.00, also plus £1.95 postage. Therefore, simple maths would tell us that purely for paying less for the guides, it is not worth joining the CC.

Hope this helps.

Ralph - 2007-11-19 10:23 AM

Usinmyknaus - 2007-11-19 9:33 AM

The club sites are so expensive it offends my innate sense of Northern thrift to stay on them.

Ah! You must be from Northern Surrey then?

Only joking. But you make me realise that I must be a northerner at heart :-D

Nice riposte Ralph. I've been a northern missionary trying to civilise 'em down here for nearly 30 years. Retained the sense of thrift of course, and I still don't put "r"s in bath, grass etc.

Bob

In fairness I should add that gaining access to the CLs and CS does give me a worthwhile benefit from membership because in the absence of "Aires" in this country, for me, there is no comparably cost-effective alternative other than wild camping, which I prefer not to do in England and Wales.

As a relative newcomer, I did find the CC Caravan Europe books useful in France for those occasions when we did not find an Aire we liked the look of. The references to the excellent municipal sites in particular were helpful, especially when diverting from the planned route at short notice.

Bob

Guest Tracker
Champstar - 2007-11-19 2:04 PM

We joined the C&CC purely for the wonderful members only site at Luss on Loch Lomond....We now try and use CS at peak times but out of high season the sites in Scotland and good and have not met an unfriendly site assistant or manager...perhaps if you are nice to them then they are nice to you....I agree that the site fees are getting a bit expensive so as I said we use as many cs and independent cheaper sites.

The the site at Luss is magnificent especially on a clear day as you are right at the lochside....notice I didnt say sunny as that is few and far between in Scotland (lol) (lol) (lol)

Did you experience the full force of the local resident army whilst at Luss?

Midges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and lots of em usually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Usinmyknaus - 2007-11-19 4:20 PM

In fairness I should add that gaining access to the CLs and CS does give me a worthwhile benefit from membership because in the absence of "Aires" in this country, for me, there is no comparably cost-effective alternative other than wild camping, which I prefer not to do in England and Wales.

We joined the CC solely to benefit from the network of CLs.

We stayed at about 20 on our trip to the UK in the summer, and only one asked to see our membership card!!

At one location we wanted to stay there wasn't a CL but a C&CC CS. We phoned them and even though we weren't members they let us stay five nights.

The POIs I downloaded for Autoroute had all the details of each CL/CS, so I didn't even need to use my CC handbook.

Hi, Derek500

That's a valid point you make about most of them not asking for membership confirmation, also i have stayed on quite a number where clearly they have exceeded the 5 pitches so I can only assume that some of them play lip service to the rules, ???

As for the CC Europe books 1&2 mentioned earlier, these are purchasable from other places not just from the CC try a Google search also remember that quite a lot of the information is a few years old so last years books are still a worthwhile investment?

hope that helps

derek500 - 2007-11-19 4:15 PM

Usinmyknaus - 2007-11-19 4:20 PM

We joined the CC solely to benefit from the network of CLs.

We stayed at about 20 on our trip to the UK in the summer, and only one asked to see our membership card!!

At one location we wanted to stay there wasn't a CL but a C&CC CS. We phoned them and even though we weren't members they let us stay five nights.

The POIs I downloaded for Autoroute had all the details of each CL/CS, so I didn't even need to use my CC handbook.

Hi,

Do they have free target practice on all those with over 5 vehicles ?

LordThornber - 2007-11-20 10:23 AM

Off topic a tad but I clearly remember reading that The CC employ the RAF to have a sly peek on the CL's for possible breaches of the 5 van rule, gulp 8-)

Martyn

enodreven - 2007-11-20 10:12 AM

As for the CC Europe books 1&2 mentioned earlier, these are purchasable from other places not just from the CC try a Google search also remember that quite a lot of the information is a few years old so last years books are still a worthwhile investment?

Completely agree. I bought it this year but I certainly wouldn't buy it every year. Not up to date at all but still recommended.

Tracker - 2007-11-19 3:29 PM

Champstar - 2007-11-19 2:04 PM

Did you experience the full force of the local resident army whilst at Luss?

Midges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and lots of em usually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The midges were not too bad this year..they were worse up north...even so just use the avon stuff and plenty of citronella candles...and no problem...dont let the little b*****s spoil the view

We stayed at the CC&C site at Luss in September 2006 and as you say, it's a beautiful site on the shores of Loch Lomond.

After I came back from my early morning shower, there was a mist over the loch and surrounding hills so I nipped in the van to get my camera to take some pictures. I hadn't applied any Avon ad the little b****s had me for breakfast. My head looked like the surface of the moon. Oh well. you live and learn >:-)

Just paid £2.70 for a bottle and bid another £2 odd on the other fragrance for her who must be obeyed's delectation.

Scotland here we come!

Twooks,

I've done piri-piri in Venezuela, sandflies in NZ and no-seeums in the States but nothing irks me more than to be eaten alive whilst trying to walk on Skye and Torridon. I even bought one of those stupid net hat thingies. Hate 'em, I do!

Archived