Milenco levellers

bigal

Having already purchased a pair of Milenco Quattro levellers I then saw a letter of complaint in this months MMM P214 regarding the claims made by Milenco that you do not need chocks because the wheel sits in a specially formed pocket on the leveller. My CI Cipro has standard 15" motorhome wheels and having tried these levellers out on my level driveway I have found that the vehicle rolls backward just the same as on any other make of leveller when the handbrake is released. Having read the reply from Nigel Millbank (Milenco) I would agree with some of the points made and the points made by Peter Rosenthal, they are certainly high, wide and grippy and they do pocket the wheels to some extent but they DO NOT allow parking without chocks. The answer seems to be for Milenco to make special chocks available that are big enough and suitably profiled to suit these levellers. B-)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Roger, it's a CI Cipro 55 06 reg. I've had another look at the problem and it seems to me that the pockets on the leveller are too short. Three longer pockets in the same length of leveller would be better ie. make the Quattro leveller into a Triple and retain the same height. Hope that makes sense. B-)

...it's a CI Cipro 55...

Not enormous, then. They should work.

Funnily enough, I've just bought some Milenco Triples and had put the Tribby up on them yesterday. As an experiment, this morning I took the engine out of gear, released the handbrake and... gently rolled off the ramps.

Oh well, at least they give a more positive feeling of where you are when you drive up them than my old Fiammas do. I've been off the end of them once and wouldn't like to repeat the experience. 8-(

Cheers,

Roger

I think the claim is that additional chocks sre not required as excessive rolling force is not applied to the vehicle (trying to roll down the ramp) which the handbrake might not hold.

Anyway! Is it not possible to use standard wheel chocks behind the wheels not on ramps to stop the motorhome rolling off the ramps. Seems a simple solution to me!

Jon.

If these products are used, as their name suggests, to level a vehicle then I do not think it is a valid test to use them on a level driveway. This will tilt the vehicle backwards giving more inclination for the vehicle to run backwards off the ramps.

If they are used on sloping ground, that is to make the vehicle level, there will be less of a tendency for the vehicle to run backwards.

That's the theory anyway as I don't have these ramps to test it!

If these products are used, as their name suggests, to level a vehicle then I do not think it is a valid test to use them on a level driveway.

My earlier message described the result of using them on a sloping gravel pitch.

No need for theorising. 8=)

Roger

If the levellers are supposed to stop you rolling off them due to the 'dips' in them, then it shouldn't make any difference whether you're using them on a slope or flat ground - some van's are not level on flat ground and need the levellers to ... er ... funnily enough ... level them!

I wonder if they were designed purely with caravans in mind which have smaller diameter wheels ....? :-S

Iv,e got Milenco quatro and have 16" wheels. The 'hollows' are not exactly the full shape of the wheel but I love them. They are solid flat bottom so do not sink so readily into soft ground, the upper surface is very grippy for the wheels. The fourth level is quite high. I have used chocks on the ramps or as suggested above, wedges behind the other grounded wheels. Not had any problems yet. The downside is that they are quite big for storing.

Dave

Guest Tracker

Is it me - am I missing something here?

What is the big deal?

Why not just put the handbrake on and the van ain't going nowhere!

Isn't that what handbrakes are for?

Plus simply engaging the handbrake is a darned sight easier than faffing around with chocks that also have to be stored?

I wonder if they were designed purely with caravans in mind which have smaller diameter wheels ....?

I've just looked at the Milenco Web site, which says: "This is the tallest and widest level ever made for a Caravan or Motorhome."

It also says, "Pocketing the wheel at every height eliminating the need for chocks". (See http://www.milenco.com/level-quattro-pair.html )

That's unambiguous, ISTM. The ramps are simply not doing that part of the job they're advertised as doing.

Roger

I use this type which I bought in Dusseldorf in 2004. They are adjustable in height.

Ideal for me as a single person because I can feel the wheels drop into the recess.

These are marketed by Milenco.

levellers.jpg.66c2bd111acd654581a382a88eb710b4.jpg

No it rarely rolls off, although to be sure it does not I do put the handbrake on. I think it is because the hollow where the tyre goes is quite deep and about the same shape as my tyres.

When I bought my set they were quite cheap but that was in 2004.

I think that Milenco bought the design rights from the German company in 2006. However, they do not appear to market them as much as their other designs.

I paid about £25.00 for my set in 2004. They are now about £65 - £70 for two which may be the reason you do not see many in use.

If you use the clip-on pieces shown below, the blocks (Milenco Froli type)do not slip on any surface.

The tyre first runs onto the clip-on and this holds the wedged block in place. With these fitted the wedge cannot slide away.

LevellerClip-on.jpg.fd2f56db2db646e027e029f54f6921f4.jpg

Archived