Milenco levellers

bigal

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all

Interesting topic so i thought i would post up my observations.

My first wife and i have a swift kontiki 669 and i purchased a pair of milenco quattro leveling ramps and have used them on all sorts of different ground and have never had any problems with them, be it going up, staying up or going down them.

I would like to see a set made higher or stackable set.

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Guest Tracker
ChrisK5 - 2010-05-19 8:07 PM

My first wife and i have a swift kontiki 669 and i purchased a pair of milenco quattro leveling ramps and have used them on all sorts of different ground and have never had any problems with them

Interesting..............................how many wive's and how many vans do you currently have?

I find that no matter how many vans, cars, boats, houses I have one wife at any one time is quite enough for me!

Just looked at this thread for the first time, must be getting bored. What a load of talk about leveling ramps, you put them under the wheels drive on, put handbrake on, make a cup of tea, where is the problem. Our van goes on first time every time, no slipping, no chocks, it will go on forwards reverse, probably sideways with no bother and it is an X250. No wonder so many complain about Fiat judder when they have this much trouble getting up on to ramps. Ours are a pair of Fiamma Level ups, suggest you dump Milenco and buy these.

rupert123 - 2010-05-19 9:28 PM

Just looked at this thread for the first time, must be getting bored. What a load of talk about leveling ramps, you put them under the wheels drive on, put handbrake on, make a cup of tea, where is the problem. Our van goes on first time every time, no slipping, no chocks, it will go on forwards reverse, probably sideways with no bother and it is an X250. No wonder so many complain about Fiat judder when they have this much trouble getting up on to ramps. Ours are a pair of Fiamma Level ups, suggest you dump Milenco and buy these.

Totally agree Henry never have any problem with my X/250 forward or reverse getting onto ramps neither have I ever complained about judder.

Hi all

My first wife and i have a swift kontiki 669 and i purchased a pair of milenco quattro leveling ramps and have used them on all sorts of different ground and have never had any problems with them, be it going up, staying up or going down them.

Can you confirm, please, that your Kon-Tiki stays on the Quattro levellers securely in all circumstances, even when chocks are not used, a gear is not selected and the handbrake is off?

rupert123 & lennyhb

This is a link to the "Quattro" section of the Milenco website:

http://www.milenco.com/level-quattro-pair.html

and (if you visit that webpage) you'll note Milenco's claim that these levelling blocks have the capability of "Pocketing the wheel at every height eliminating the need for chocks."

Now, I know it's tedious looking back through threads when they run to more than one page (or even when they are more than a few postings long!) but, if you return to bigal's original posting and read the thread in its entirety, you'll appreciate that it's this specific advertising claim that's primarily at issue here.

I don't believe Quattro levellers are any harder to drive up than a set of conventional design, single slope, wedges would be, assuming the latter had a similar overall length to Quattro and provided a similar elevation. In fact, I'd guess that the 'toothy' shape of the Quattro's upper surface might make ascension easier. But, once you've got the motorhome up on the Quattro levellers, the big question is "Will the vehicle stay there without use of handbrake, gear selection or chocks?" Bigal (the original poster) argues that it won't and I agree, except in certain relatively unusual circumstances. Both of us use Quattro levellers, so we are speaking from practical experience, not educated guesswork.

Obviously, to retain the motorhome securely on the Quattro levellers one can "put handbrake on, make a cup of tea", but that's irrelevant in this instance.

In MMM's Interchange Milenco's Nigel Milbank says

"We do recommend the use of the handbrake for safety reasons when on the level, but do not expect the vehicle to roll back (if the handbrake is momentarily released to swivel a seat for example) when level and correctly positioned with the tyres pocketed."

Well, I've never encountered that situation. Even though I ensure that my motorhome's tyres are as 'pocketed' as it's possible to get them, each time I've released the handbrake the vehicle has immediately begun to roll off the levellers. In fact, this is exactly what I would expect to happen, given that the 'pockets' are necessarily short and slope from front to rear.

I don't believe it's practicable to design a 'tall' single-piece leveller that will hold an 'un-tethered' motorhome securely throughout the leveller's full height range and in every camping situation that might be reasonably anticipated, without the leveller ending up unacceptably long.

I accept that the Quattro levellers do pocket the tyres to some degree and, because of this, certainly should hold a motorhome better than a simple inclined wedge. But, if you have your motorhome on Quattro levels with no gear engaged and without employing chocks, and then decide to release the handbrake to "swivel a seat for example" (as the OP wishes to do) then you'll need to be a damn sight quicker than "momentarily" to complete the swivelling exercise before the motorhome starts to roll.

Mel B - 2010-05-15 10:04 PM

Brambles - 2010-05-13 10:52 PM

They can still slide, especially on wet concrete or tarmac and you are trying to get non driven wheels up the ramps. You definetly need ramps with a non smooth underneath surface on hard ground.

In which case, why not glue or tie (using cable ties) some rubber mats to the bottom .. should stop them slip sliding away .... if we have a problem we just whip the rubber mats out of the cab footwells and use them with the levellers on top.

Nar, Battery drill, masonry bit and some Thunder Bolts guaranty they won't move.

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest Tracker

The cheapest and most cost effective cure for skidding ramp syndrome is hinged flaps that the wheels drive onto first so that when they start climbing the load is against the attached flap and not the unatttached ground.

I don't even want a tenner for this tip - and if milenco want to adopt it in their next design there is no design fee - but a free sample for testing and evaluation would be a nice gesture - I like nice gestures! - and pigs might fly!

Derek Uzzell - 2010-05-20 8:54 AM

rupert123 & lennyhb

This is a link to the "Quattro" section of the Milenco website:

http://www.milenco.com/level-quattro-pair.html

and (if you visit that webpage) you'll note Milenco's claim that these levelling blocks have the capability of "Pocketing the wheel at every height eliminating the need for chocks."

Now, I know it's tedious looking back through threads when they run to more than one page (or even when they are more than a few postings long!) but, if you return to bigal's original posting and read the thread in its entirety, you'll appreciate that it's this specific advertising claim that's primarily at issue here.

I don't believe Quattro levellers are any harder to drive up than a set of conventional design, single slope, wedges would be, assuming the latter had a similar overall length to Quattro and provided a similar elevation. In fact, I'd guess that the 'toothy' shape of the Quattro's upper surface might make ascension easier. But, once you've got the motorhome up on the Quattro levellers, the big question is "Will the vehicle stay there without use of handbrake, gear selection or chocks?" Bigal (the original poster) argues that it won't and I agree, except in certain relatively unusual circumstances. Both of us use Quattro levellers, so we are speaking from practical experience, not educated guesswork.

Obviously, to retain the motorhome securely on the Quattro levellers one can "put handbrake on, make a cup of tea", but that's irrelevant in this instance.

In MMM's Interchange Milenco's Nigel Milbank says

"We do recommend the use of the handbrake for safety reasons when on the level, but do not expect the vehicle to roll back (if the handbrake is momentarily released to swivel a seat for example) when level and correctly positioned with the tyres pocketed."

Well, I've never encountered that situation. Even though I ensure that my motorhome's tyres are as 'pocketed' as it's possible to get them, each time I've released the handbrake the vehicle has immediately begun to roll off the levellers. In fact, this is exactly what I would expect to happen, given that the 'pockets' are necessarily short and slope from front to rear.

I don't believe it's practicable to design a 'tall' single-piece leveller that will hold an 'un-tethered' motorhome securely throughout the leveller's full height range and in every camping situation that might be reasonably anticipated, without the leveller ending up unacceptably long.

I accept that the Quattro levellers do pocket the tyres to some degree and, because of this, certainly should hold a motorhome better than a simple inclined wedge. But, if you have your motorhome on Quattro levels with no gear engaged and without employing chocks, and then decide to release the handbrake to "swivel a seat for example" (as the OP wishes to do) then you'll need to be a damn sight quicker than "momentarily" to complete the swivelling exercise before the motorhome starts to roll.

I agree with everything that Derek Uzzell says in his post.and it is a pity that some people go off on a tangent without reading the original post. I have received two emails today from Milenco stating that they are satisfied with their advertising and it is a great gesture by them to offer to organise levelling trials. It would be interesting to know if they succeed in pocketing the 15inch wheels/tyres (that were the subject of my first post ) to such an extent that the vehicle does not roll off the ramps. Many of the replies seem to miss the point that was made originally. In other aspects the ramps are satisfactory as far as I am concerned. Incidentally I do hold a class one licence and have no trouble at all in getting the vehicle up the ramps in spite of my advancing years, the problem is getting it to stay there even "momentarily". :-S B-)

What Milenco do seem not to have taken fully into account with this product, is that ramps are generally used on uneven ground, and uneven ground is seldom perfectly level on one axis, while being out of level on the other.  If the problem can be resolved using just one ramp, no problem.

However, if the problem requires the use of two ramps, and the ground slopes diagonally (and for some reason it always does :-)), aligning the ramps so that both tyres properly engage the pockets when parked, but with the ramps not aligned across the axle, is a bit of an ask.

I hate to dispute the fundamentals of their design, but using the cellular construction method they have adopted, which should afford good traction coupled with light weight, adding a flat lead in section, possibly hinged, to avoid the ramps skidding, leaving off the pockets to give a smooth ramp, and then providing a chock that locks into the cells, would seems a far more versatile solution for four wheeled motorhomes.  I would then add to make them orange, or yellow, so that they are more noticeable when driving away!

The present product seems inherently more suited to caravans, which it is recommended should be parked with the handbrake off once the steadies are deployed, giving greater value to the pockets.

Final thought.  Why do folk try to achieve level while driving up ramp/s (whether or not in reverse gear)?  Just stop, put down the ramps, welly the accelerator and drive straight to the top (ideally someone will shout STOP! :-D), then brake, and do the levelling by allowing the van to roll in small increments back off the ramp until level.   If you do overshoot, come right off, and then go fully up again.  You soon get the feel for how far/fast to go, and there is comparatively little clutch wear, and much easier control. 

Derek Uzzell - 2010-05-20 8:46 AM

Hi all

Can you confirm, please, that your Kon-Tiki stays on the Quattro levellers securely in all circumstances, even when chocks are not used, a gear is not selected and the handbrake is off?

Of course the hand brake is on (which operates the rear wheels by the way, not the front which we use the ramps on) but neutral is always selected.

ChrisK5 - 2010-05-20 6:46 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2010-05-20 8:46 AM

Hi all

Of course the hand brake is on (which operates the rear wheels by the way, not the front which we use the ramps on) but neutral is always selected.

Hi Chris, I advise you to read the original post at the beginning of this discussion. This refers to the Milenco advert. which states : "They pocket and better support the tyre at every height, therefore eliminating the need for chocks". This implies that the vehicle is stable without using another restraint to stop it rolling off the ramps. Of course everyone should use chocks as a precaution but the advert says you don't need them.

When the vehicle is sitting on the "pocket", the leading edge of the "pocket" is causing a localised indentation in the footprint of the tyre which indicates to me that the "pocket" is not long enough. Whether that would cause long term damage to the tyre is debatable. Perhaps we need someone with an in-depth knowledge of tyres to guide us on that question. With regard to the question of chocks, perhaps Milenco should design profiled chocks to suit these ramps in the same way that other manufacturers do. :-S B-)

Brambles - 2010-05-21 11:04 AM

For similar money you can buy two sets of Fiamma Jumbo levellers/ramps along with chocks. The Fiamma Jumbo are stackable and give you similar height.

Yeah, thanks for that Brambles let's hope people take note, it was the original advert that caught my eye and now I wish I had never seen it. Even on the box which the Quattro Levels come in it says "Wheel is pocketed at every height, no need for chocks". What can't speak can't lie ! :-S B-)

Brian Kirby - 2010-05-20 5:27 PM

What Milenco do seem not to have taken fully into account with this product, is that ramps are generally used on uneven ground, and uneven ground is seldom perfectly level on one axis, while being out of level on the other.  If the problem can be resolved using just one ramp, no problem.

However, if the problem requires the use of two ramps, and the ground slopes diagonally (and for some reason it always does :-)), aligning the ramps so that both tyres properly engage the pockets when parked, but with the ramps not aligned across the axle, is a bit of an ask.

I hate to dispute the fundamentals of their design, but using the cellular construction method they have adopted, which should afford good traction coupled with light weight, adding a flat lead in section, possibly hinged, to avoid the ramps skidding, leaving off the pockets to give a smooth ramp, and then providing a chock that locks into the cells, would seems a far more versatile solution for four wheeled motorhomes.  I would then add to make them orange, or yellow, so that they are more noticeable when driving away!

The present product seems inherently more suited to caravans, which it is recommended should be parked with the handbrake off once the steadies are deployed, giving greater value to the pockets.

Final thought.  Why do folk try to achieve level while driving up ramp/s (whether or not in reverse gear)?  Just stop, put down the ramps, welly the accelerator and drive straight to the top (ideally someone will shout STOP! :-D), then brake, and do the levelling by allowing the van to roll in small increments back off the ramp until level.   If you do overshoot, come right off, and then go fully up again.  You soon get the feel for how far/fast to go, and there is comparatively little clutch wear, and much easier control. 

Yes Brian I agree especially with your comment on chocks, unfortunately I can't see Milenco changing their stance that the motorhomer is wrong and they are right., after all, shouldn't we all be open to ideas wherever they come from? :-S B-)

To go back to the OPs' main point. When I swivel the seat the handbrake does get in the way too on our van. So what I do is to get on the chocks to the desired height, switch off the engine, put it in gear, keep my foot on the brake and just release the seat swiveling handle. When the seat has turned a few inches it is round enough to clear the handbrake lever. I then engage the handbrake and remove my foot from the brake. The vehicle stays in gear all the time. I then apply the chocks to a front wheel and the opposite side rear wheel.

I've never had an instance of the van rolling back.

We have been using the quatro levelers for some time and have never once had the motorhome stay up without using the hand brake so it would be interesting to take up the Menlenco offer.

Having said that I can't be bothered. These are the best leveling blocks we have ever had. We have had no problems driving up them even in the wet which always was a problem on our old ones. They are wide so the tyre is always fully on the block. Whilst the pockets may not hold the tyre as Melenco claim they do give a good feel as to which level you are on.

Just one useful tip. We have a small spirit level which we use and have marked the positions of the bubble to show what level on the blocks we need to be on. Having established this I simply drive up to the level required under my wife's guidance, put the foot brake on followed by the hand brake and the job is done. I leave the engine in gear initially until the rear steadies are down then take it out of gear.

The feel of the position is so positive that I have on occasions taken it up the blocks without the help of my wife. We have only once need to use the highest position the only problem with using that being that we cannot get the rear steadies down.

Great product but how Melenco can justify making the claim about the pockets is beyond me. I always take the Motorhome off the blocks by simply releasing the hand brake without starting the engine so I know it does not stay up as claimed.

Second simple tip. Never do this if the wife is still washing up with a sink full of water!

Colin Leake - 2010-05-26 5:14 PM

We have been using the quatro levelers for some time and have never once had the motorhome stay up without using the hand brake so it would be interesting to take up the Menlenco offer.

Having said that I can't be bothered. These are the best leveling blocks we have ever had. We have had no problems driving up them even in the wet which always was a problem on our old ones. They are wide so the tyre is always fully on the block. Whilst the pockets may not hold the tyre as Melenco claim they do give a good feel as to which level you are on.

Just one useful tip. We have a small spirit level which we use and have marked the positions of the bubble to show what level on the blocks we need to be on. Having established this I simply drive up to the level required under my wife's guidance, put the foot brake on followed by the hand brake and the job is done. I leave the engine in gear initially until the rear steadies are down then take it out of gear.

The feel of the position is so positive that I have on occasions taken it up the blocks without the help of my wife. We have only once need to use the highest position the only problem with using that being that we cannot get the rear steadies down.

Great product but how Melenco can justify making the claim about the pockets is beyond me. I always take the Motorhome off the blocks by simply releasing the hand brake without starting the engine so I know it does not stay up as claimed.

Second simple tip. Never do this if the wife is still washing up with a sink full of water!

Hi Colin, I agree with your comments, especially with regard to "staying up" and, " How do Milenco justify the advert. claiming the pockets allow the vehicle to stay up the ramps without the use of chocks/handbrake".

Milenco's representative, Nicky Ward, said in an email to me that they were satisfied with their advertising, what does that say about the company? :-S B-)

lenny, the handbrake lever is on right hand side of the drivers' seat. It still catches though when you swivel the seat. I can get it to "miss" but I have to slide the seat forward and it makes getting out of it more fiddly! I only do this when I'm putting it back into the forward position.

Just double checked my van they will foul the Handbrake in the fully rearmost position but you can't swivel them from that position as the backrest hits the side of the cab & you would need to be a giant to drive it with the seats that far back.

Probably depends what seats you have ours are the ISRI Captain seats.

So it took Milenco four years with extensive test grounds to develop these and they are proud, four years!Wow what a great British company no wonder manufacturing in this country is in such a state.The four years they took to develop them would explain the price.How does the saying go, ah well back to the drawing board.

Archived