Milenco levellers

bigal

Hi there this is Milenco Limited.

We have received a couple of emails about this post, last week; however we were on our annual shutdown.

With regards to updating our website, we are currently in the process of doing this. We are also producing a video, which we believe will answer all the questions raised.

Updating the website has become a bigger task as new technology is being introduced like wap for smart phones, so please bear with us, whilst this is completed.

Product Demonstration:

In our previous contribution to the forum we offered to show the Quattro Levels in use, and not one person rang the office to accept our offer.

The Quattro Level was designed to be used with 15” and 16” Motorhome wheels.

We are satisfied that this is the best level ever made. It is certainly the tallest and widest Level. The level does not slip on grass or concrete or sink in to soft ground. It’s engineered and designed so that it does not need chocks. As a company we do not like chocks because of the potential danger of hand trap.

It was not designed however to replace the vehicles handbrake or hold the vehicle in situation.

If you are looking for a device to stop the Motorhome from moving, our Quattro Level was not designed to do this. It is designed to level the Motorhome in the best possible manner.

With various ground conditions there will always be forces trying to move the Motorhome and to be safe you need to use your vehicle handbrake and engage a low gear.

Since our previous postings we have conducted some more studies on Motorhome handbrakes and positional stability when on Quattro Levels. This information will be included in the updated website, however we are satisfied that a current model Motorhome on a standard chassis when levelled will be stable on levels, but we would still recommend the use of the handbrake and the gear engaged.

In every test we have been able to hold the vehicle in gear whilst the driver’s seat was rotated with the hand brake momentarily released.

What we have subsequently found is that on certain Motorhome without original chassis, do have a large amount of movement after the handbrake is applied and our recommendation is to park these vehicles in a low gear as well as with the handbrake.

We are demonstrating all Milenco products including our Quattro levels at all the forth coming major international shows (Germany, Sweden, France, Spain, America and UK, etc)

Regretfully this means we do not have time to participate at any additional UK Motorhome shows this year, but if we receive enough interest, we would look in to organising a levelling clinic at the Peterborough Motorhome show next April.

Finally If you do have a problem with any Milenco product, please contact our office on 01908 220102 and we will do everything we can to resolve any issues.

Best wishes

Milenco Limited

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have received a couple of emails about this post, last week; however we were on our annual shutdown.

With regards to updating our website, we are currently in the process of doing this. We are also producing a video, which we believe will answer all the questions raised.

Updating the website has become a bigger task as new technology is being introduced like wap for smart phones, so please bear with us, whilst this is completed.

Product Demonstration:

In our previous contribution to the forum we offered to show the Quattro Levels in use, and not one person rang the office to accept our offer.

We are satisfied that this is the best level ever made. It is certainly the tallest and widest Level. The level does not slip on grass or concrete or sink in to soft ground. It’s engineered and designed so that it does not need chocks. As a company we do not like chocks because of the potential danger of hand trap.

It was not designed however to replace the vehicles handbrake or hold the vehicle in situation.

If you are looking for a device to stop the Motorhome from moving, our Quattro Level was not designed to do this. It is designed to level the Motorhome in the best possible manner.

With various ground conditions there will always be forces trying to move the Motorhome and to be safe you need to use your vehicle handbrake and engage a low gear.

Since our previous postings we have conducted some more studies on Motorhome handbrakes and positional stability when on Quattro Levels. This information will be included in the updated website, however we are satisfied that a current model Motorhome on a standard chassis when levelled will be stable on levels, but we would still recommend the use of the handbrake and the gear engaged.

In every test we have been able to hold the vehicle in gear whilst the driver’s seat was rotated with the hand brake momentarily released.

What we have subsequently found is that on certain Motorhome without original chassis, do have a large amount of movement after the handbrake is applied and our recommendation is to park these vehicles in a low gear as well as with the handbrake.

We are demonstrating all Milenco products including our Quattro levels at all the forth coming major international shows (Germany, Sweden, France, Spain, America and UK, etc)

Regretfully this means we do not have time to participate at any additional UK Motorhome shows this year, but if we receive enough interest, we would look in to organising a levelling clinic at the Peterborough Motorhome show next April.

Finally If you do have a problem with any Milenco product, please contact our office on 01908 220102 and we will do everything we can to resolve any issues.

Best wishes

Milenco Limited

Product Demonstration:

Best wishes

Milenco Limited

Well despite Milenco's statement, I for one would not even contemplate buying this product.

Having viewed the photo on Derek's link, IMO there is insufficient contact between the tyre(s) and the leveller to use it without chocks.

Problem being I can't see how the levellers could beused WITH chocks.

Others may think differently, if so please do not park on a pitch opposite me when using then. :-(

Personaly, I feel that it is useful that manufacturers do respond to critism of their products. and should be encouraged to do so.

It does give the impresion that they are looking a wider field of users experience than just the the boys (& girls) in the R&D lab. At least the company is aware of the critism, even if the reponse is not quite what people want to hear.

There are some vehicles with rear disk hand brakes that known to have a problem with the disks cooling and the car deciding to go a journey by itself !

My 09 Ducatto seems to want to join them, so I have no problem chocking the vehicle even when parked on the flat. ( Why let the gearbox take all the strain ?)

Its laudable that Milenco, have tried to produce that trys to avoid the problems of placing and removing chocks. I just hope that no accidents occur with the product and people not applying a litle common sense.

As I posted earlier in the thread, the chocks do what they say on the box, I have had no trouble using them, and as a matter of course use chocks as backup (with ample length of rope to pull clear of the wheel if need be)

Rgds

I have a set of Quatro ramps but have never thought about not chocking the wheels. I even do that at home where I am not quite level. The only thing is I see many people chocking the wheels on the ramp/levellers of differing makes. My chocks would not in any case fit the Milenco so I have driven on the ramps and then chock the rear wheels if they are the ones still on the ground. Why is it necessary to chock the wheels that are on the ramp. Never understood that but maybe I am missing something. The chocks I have tried on the ramps are of a dubious fit anyway, even the ones dedicated to a particular make.

Dave

flicka - 2010-08-04 2:10 PM

Well despite Milenco's statement, I for one would not even contemplate buying this product.

Having viewed the photo on Derek's link, IMO there is insufficient contact between the tyre(s) and the leveller to use it without chocks.

Problem being I can't see how the levellers could beused WITH chocks.

Others may think differently, if so please do not park on a pitch opposite me when using then. :-(

That will be your loss because they as simply infinitely superior to any other blocks available! We have been using them all season and as always I apply the hand brake and leave the vehicle in first gear. Having said that we do normally use the rear steadies which give additional security. Only problem is that when on the fourth step we can't get the rear jacks down.

I would add to my post above (Unable to edit because of the time limitation)

I chock the wheels on the ground, not on the ramps. As said by others, using chocks on the ramps , even incorporated / designed is at best, Iffy !

Using chocks on the Milenco ramps would be near impossible due to the shape / curvature etc.

Rgds

As an after thought if you have ramps on 3 or 4 wheels, maybe wiser to park elsewhere ;-)

tonyishuk - 2010-08-04 3:16 PM Personaly, I feel that it is useful that manufacturers do respond to critism of their products. and should be encouraged to do so. It does give the impresion that they are looking a wider field of users experience than just the the boys (& girls) in the R&D lab. At least the company is aware of the critism, even if the reponse is not quite what people want to hear. ..........

True!  But sadly, here is a company that is getting what should be valuable feedback on their product, from users and prospective purchasers alike, that it does not quite "do what it says on the tin", and their main response, instead of gratitude, is to say, in terms, we are right, you are wrong, and you aren't using our product properly.  Perleease!  These are levelling ramps, for God's sake, not nuclear reactors!

Simply stated, the ramps are too short (or have one too many pockets), leaving pockets too small in effective diameter for tyres of the sizes commonly used on motorhomes.

Ramps are not used on level ground, the ground will always be sloping where ramps are used.  Ramps are only needed for caravans where the slope is transverse, whereas for motorhomes the problem is more often that the slope is longitudinal, meaning the vehicle is inherently disposed to roll down slope.  Appropriately sized pockets would largely eliminate this tendency, reducing the need for chocks and the strain on handbrake mechanisms.

This feedback should be resulting in an improved version of the ramp with the pockets re-profiled to suit larger tyres - not lectures.  The idea is intelligent, and the present product seems fine for wheels up to around 14", but for the larger diameters (up to 16") common on today's motorhomes, larger pockets are needed for these ramps to work to best advantage.  Come on guys, wise up and listen! It is so frustrating to hear a UK manufacturer telling his customers they are all wrong in a recession!  Sales = revenue = equals employment and profit?  Do I hear a yes?  :-D

Hi there this is Milenco again.

If you were to make your own level that pockets the wheel exactly and has four steps that would retain the vehicle, it will be that long that you would not have space to carry it. This also would be very difficult to climb with lesser powered Motorhomes.

Having made proto-types with numerous pocket configurations, we settled for the Pocket shape on the Quattro Level that gave best product performance in the widest variety of ground conditions and levelling situation.

We would not recommend the alteration of this profile as it will reduce the product performance and safety.

Well done milenco.

I once heard a Journalist say they will never post on a forum, because it’s like getting into an argument with a drunk.

Well I can see what he meant now.

I have used my Quattro levels for 2 seasons and I think they are one of the best purchases I have ever made. You drive on them and stop. No problem at all. They are much higher than all the other levels and don’t sink in.

It amazes me, these fools that post rubbish on the forum about products, when they have never used them.

Do you really think an idiot sat in front of a computer knows more about making a product than the manufacturer?

Please gentlemen and Brian. Wise up.

B-)

crappyhamper - 2010-08-05 11:59 AM

Well done milenco.

I once heard a Journalist say they will never post on a forum, because it’s like getting into an argument with a drunk.

I have used my Quattro levels for 2 seasons and I think they are one of the best purchases I have ever made. You drive on them and stop. No problem at all. They are much higher than all the other levels and don’t sink in.

It amazes me, these fools that post rubbish on the forum about products, when they have never used them.

Do you really think an idiot sat in front of a computer knows more about making a product than the manufacturer?

B-)

The link to the photo in Derek's tpost IS self evident >:-(

How much of your tyre is in contact with the Milenco levellers (?)

Can you post a photo of them, as YOU use them to disprove the current evidence.

I do not consider two contact strips across the width of the tyre sufficient to be considered Safe or retain grip.

Milenco's statement that for the tyre to "pocket" on the leveller would make them too long to fit in a Motorhome, is FRANKLY Rubbish. I have a full width rear Garage and they would not exceed 7'.

So do Milenco understand the market they are trying to reach -

(?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?)

Guest Tracker
crappyhamper - 2010-08-05 11:59 AM

Well done milenco.

B-)

This first posting from a 'new' member has all the attitude of someone who has been here before posting under a 'nom de plume'?

If you are indeed a new member, by choosing to slag off people who fhave the temerity to disagree with your own point of view you have not chosen a very good way to start and to have your own point of view taken seriously.

Just a gentle suggestion CH but please - wise up and stick to the subject without involving personality and insults.

...........................and welcome to the forum!

And as for the idiot in front of a computer knowing more about product design than the makers - well yes I'm afraid a lot of experienced people do seem to have that knack - you only have to look at much of the poorly designed rubbish on sale 'designed' to cure problems in all walks of life to realise that!

Guest Tracker
That was my first thought too Barry but I am too much of a diplomat to say so - and, being the gentleman wot I am, I would never dream of criticising anyone's nickname - however appropriate it might be!

Taken from the Milenco website a few minutes ago:

Milenco Quattro Level (pair) - New for 2009

We think this is the best level ever made. It effectively makes other levels look like toys. We are very proud of the light weight innovative design (patent pending) registered design. This gets over all of the problems using conventional levels on soft ground, but more importantly it’s twice as high as conventional plastic levels, which are never quite high enough.

The worlds only 4 step Polymer level. Completely new for 2009. This is the tallest and widest level ever made for a Caravan or Motorhome. Incorporates lattice, high-grip upper tread surface. Pocketing the wheel at every height eliminating the need for chocks. Solid base, which makes it suitable for use on soft ground or sand.

Perhaps Milenco could categorically stated exactly what is meant by 'eliminating the need for chocks'.

To me, by making this statement, the manufacturers are claiming, by negating the need for chocks, that the product gives the same outcome as if chocks were used - that the motorhome wheel(s) will stay put, regardless of whether the handbrake is engaged, or the vehicle is put in gear.

They are therefore claiming that the levellers are designed in such a way that they are wholly and solely sufficient to keep the vehicle where it is without any other method of restraint, and prevent movement of the motorhome/stop it from rolling off the levellers.

From what has been said by those who have used them, this claim appears to be completely at odds with the users' experiences. Milenco's postings, whilst welcome and appreciated, do NOT address this claim.

So, in a nutshell Milenco, if you wouldn't mind answering the below question categorically it would help clear up a lot of 'misunderstanding':

Are you claiming that by negating the need for chocks, a motorhome on your Quattro levellers will NOT move, regardless of whether other means of restraint are used?

If YES, then it would appear that you are incorrect and the claim should NOT be made.

If NO, then please explain exactly what this does mean in simple terms.

Thank you.

milenco - 2010-08-05 10:06 AM Hi there this is Milenco again. If you were to make your own level that pockets the wheel exactly and has four steps that would retain the vehicle, it will be that long that you would not have space to carry it. This also would be very difficult to climb with lesser powered Motorhomes. Having made proto-types with numerous pocket configurations, we settled for the Pocket shape on the Quattro Level that gave best product performance in the widest variety of ground conditions and levelling situation. We would not recommend the alteration of this profile as it will reduce the product performance and safety.

Good day Milenco.  Thank you for your reply, which prompted me to a little doodling - yes, I know, but please bear with me.  :-)

A tyre of the size we should probably be considering is approximately 730mm diameter (175/75 R 16). 

If this is to be lifted 200mm (the lift of the Quattro) in 4 steps, each step needs to be 50mm. 

To resist rolling back a front lip is required, of say 12.5mm, placing the peak of the lip approx 100mm behind the axle centre. 

To resist overshoot a final, backstop, lip is required of, say 35mm.

If the pockets are profiled to fit the above tyre they will each be of 365mm radius.

To match the above criteria, the pitch required between pockets is 320mm. 

Allowing a 220 mm lead in, four pockets, and adjusting length for the 35mm backstop lip, I reckon the total ramp length required would be in the region on 1450mm, with a maximum height of 235mm, and an average gradient of 1:12.8, so not excessively steep. 

The length could be reduced somewhat if it were assumed the ramp would always be used downslope on sloping ground, so that the front lip is effectively formed by the inclination of the ramp.  Maybe 200mm could be shaved off the length in this way, but less than 1250mm total length seems impractical.

So yes, the result is a ramp considerably larger than the Quattro, presumably at greater cost, and with greater weight.  However, Milenco's cellular construction should minimise weight, leaving bulk, and maybe cost, as the main drawback.

The question is, would other potential users find this length excessive, for a 200mm lift ramp, and would they value the 200mm lift?  I would suggest most would settle for one such, some two, that no-one would need three, and many (like me) would consider there is no need for 200mm of actual lift - re-siting being an easier option! 

So, given some facts, in the spirit of learning, let's see what folk say.

In my May 17 posting on this thread I suggested that extending the length of a Quattro “to a massive 1200mm” would be necessary to ‘pocket’ a motorhome tyre genuinely effectively. This would be an increase of 50% over the Quattro’s already significant 800mm length and (despite Brian’s optimism) I see no reason why the weight wouldn’t rise similarly from its present 3.8kg per leveler to 5.7kg - that’s a hefty 11.4kg per pair.

Me, I wouldn’t want to be carrying levelers that are any bulkier/heavier than the present design of Quattro, but it needs saying that the technical criticisms made of the Milenco product don’t really concern me. I don’t leave my motorhome sat on levelers for days on end, never use chocks and don’t expect the vehicle to stay securely on levelers without the handbrake and/or a gear engaged. I also only deploy the Quattros when I actually NEED the high lift they provide.

Milenco’s latest advice about Quattro…

“It was not designed however to replace the vehicles handbrake or hold the vehicle in situation.

In every test we have been able to hold the vehicle in gear whilst the driver’s seat was rotated with the hand brake momentarily released.”

basically confirms what’s been said repeatedly in this thread – that, in general usage, you’ll need to hold a motorhome on Quattros with the handbrake and/or an engaged gear, otherwise it will tend to roll back down the leveler. This has always seemed self-evident to me, but nothing was said about gear-engagement in Milenco's ‘seat-swivelling’ comment in MMM and the ‘no chocks’ advertising claim may also be considered ambiguous to some. What are we really saying? “ If your motorhome has an effective handbrake and there’s no backlash in the gearbox and you engage a gear and employ the handbrake, then you won’t need chocks.” Well I wouldn’t argue with that.

I do wonder whether Milenco’s statement “…however we are satisfied that a current model Motorhome on a standard chassis when levelled will be stable on levels..” isn’t weasel-wordy. If a motorhome is on levelers and is horizontally ‘level’ based on a notional line taken through its front and rear wheel centres (which might be the case if the motorhome is parked on a very steep slope, then it’s very likely that the vehicle will be ‘stable’. But, as far as I’m aware, that’s not how motorcaravanners generally use levelers. This is semantic nit-picking, but that’s what this thread has necessarily been about.

We seen some more of the postings and the photo of a Quattro level with a spare wheel, and would like to clarify the following.

Level

By this we mean that the Motorhome floor be level enough so that it is comfortable, the fridge working and the shower drains. It may be on one, two or three levels subject to the ground shape.

Non original Chassis.

We have found that some of these move further after the application of the handbrake than the standard Fiat chassis for example, hence the advice to select gear.

Chocks.

With regards to chocks please read our previous posting.

Pocket shape.

We can understand why you would imagine a pocket that matches the inflated profile of a tyre would be successful. The tyre contact point on a road for example is however completely flat.

For example, if you look at the tyre shape, loaded on the step type levels, you will see often that the tyre contact area actually sits across two flats and the riser.

The shape of our levels pocket was developed with laden Motorhomes and the tyres interaction with the level when used on a variety of surface conditions with all tyre types. In the UK we generally use all season tyres. In many countries they use winter tyres and summer tyres. So we used all 3-tyre types in development. We also used 15”, 16”, 17” and 18” wheels because in time these wheel sizes will be used on Motorhomes.

We produced levels with the optimum shape developed, which gives the product the best performance in use and is small enough to carry.

We could easily make levels with a surface radius that matches the tyres, but the shape we use, works far better due to the tyre deformation under load.

We do have a giant ramp (1.3M long) which is sold overseas but the price is (we are told by dealers) prohibitive for the UK market.

As a company, we do welcome feedback, and as with all our products, they were extensively tested by a number of Motorcaravanners before production and during the life of the product. We continuously improve all products based on feedback.

If you look at the postings made by people that have used these Levels they are all positive. We have sold a very large number of these levels all over the UK and Europe and have only ever had positive feedback.

If you try our levels, we are confident you will find they are the best levels in real world camping conditions by far.

Best wishes

Milenco Limited

Thank you again, Milenco.  So, as with most things, the Quattros are a compromise between perfection, cost, and practicality, and are the outcome of a logical balancing of these factors.

It is clear to me that the pockets are not intended, as I had assumed, to cup the tyre, but merely to create a series of sawtooth(ish) profile steps the tyre can more readily climb. 

It also seems a little re-wording of their copy, as Milenco have said is intended, may help to clarify how the ramps are intended to be used, possibly aided by an illustration of a tyre sitting on the pocket points so show the normal condition. 

It seems the problem here was not so much the ramps "not doing what it says on the tin", as "what it says on the tin" not quite doing justice to the ramps.  If the writing on the tin is amended, and any resulting confusion eliminated, one should hear nothing further but praise.  So thank you once more for taking the trouble to explain, and good luck Milenco with your product.

Milenco it is good to see you care about your products enough to defend them on a forum, they could well be the very best ramps, but I think the claim about not needing chocks is a little confusing and that seems to be the only criticism your customers have on here

I wonder what would happen if someone took Milenco's word and put their motorhome on the levellers, didn't apply the handbrake or put it in gear because of the implied stability of the vehicle on the levellers, and the statement that chocks are not required, and then it rolled off and caused injury or damage etc ... anyone remember the American 'cruise control' case .....

Whilst I appreciate Milenco coming on here to give their views on their product which, as has been said, is a quality item, you simply cannot get away from the fact that the wording/claim is very misleading. Simply by removing the claim that chocks are unnecessary from the advertising etc, the situation will be resolved! :-S

Mel B - 2010-08-06 8:21 PM

I wonder what would happen if someone took Milenco's word and put their motorhome on the levellers, didn't apply the handbrake or put it in gear because of the implied stability of the vehicle on the levellers, and the statement that chocks are not required, and then it rolled off and caused injury or damage etc ... anyone remember the American 'cruise control' case .....

Whilst I appreciate Milenco coming on here to give their views on their product which, as has been said, is a quality item, you simply cannot get away from the fact that the wording/claim is very misleading. Simply by removing the claim that chocks are unnecessary from the advertising etc, the situation will be resolved! :-S

As the person who raised the original post on this subject I totally agree with you MelB and stress that the problem was due to the levellers not fulfilling the claims made by Milenco in their advertising that they "eliminate the need for chocks". My specific need, and the reason I bought the Quattros in the first place, was for the vehicle to remain on the levellers whilst I swivelled the driver's seat. I had experienced problems with the Sprintshift gearbox after leaving the vehicle "in gear" on my previous levellers, hence the attraction of the qualities claimed by Milenco for their levellers. There is no doubt that the Quattros are sustantially constructed but they do not fulfil the claim made in the advertising and on the packaging with regard to "eliminating the need for chocks". I now intend to modify the Quattros in the manner described in an earlier post by someone else in an effort to overcome this problem. My intention in raising this subject was to prevent other motorhomers from making the same mistake as I had in buying them un-tried. :-S B-)

Archived