Polishing your motorhome

Phil and Lol

I use Autoglym and have done for many years I wash the van and give it a good coat of polish 2-3 times a year. The van always looks smart and keeps it shine all year round and I find black streaks and any other stains come off easily with a general wash.

I do the same as Keith although I'm cutting back on the polish as it is primarily useful for evening out the paint - such as removing swirls - and reflecting the sun. I'm using Extra Gloss Protection which makes it easier to wash the van in future - well until it wears off.

So if you want a shiny van, use the Super Resin polish. If you want to protect the paintwork, use the Extra Gloss Protection.

I don't use a polisher but you can buy hand held applicators. These don't waste as much of the Autoglym product.

Im finding that a Metallic finish PVC, needs less special care compared to plastic/abs/ fibreglass finishes found on coachbuilts, coincedentaly just washed and polished mine today. My son bought me some Turtle Wax ICE synthethic wax that can be applied in full sun, and an ICE shampoo. Very easy to apply with a small sponge and very easy to shine up with microfibre cloths. Goes over plastic bumpers/trims/ etc and glass, and shines them too, no white residue. Will see how it stands up to our Sea air.

Guest pelmetman

I've tried all sorts.....but still end up with Mer in doors :D .....

Plus I've always tried to make the effort to double polish the over cab before we go on a trip ;-) ......makes getting the bugs of much easier B-) ......

Just read a advert in my local newspaper from a local firm,to revitalise your motorhome, wash down and scrub, complete machine mop & polish, finishing wax & brush touch up.

The price FROM £345 + vat. *-)

Don't all rush at once

:D

Polishing a vehicle and waxing it are different processes.

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-car-wax-and-car-polish-and-why-it-matters/

Waxing will provide long-term protection of the paint-finish and make subsequent cleaning easier. The vehicle should first be cleaned scrupulously and carefully polished to a showroom shine, and only then should it be waxed. Applying wax to a ‘dirty’ vehicle will be a regrettable experience.

These links are to 2016 reviews of vehicle polishing and waxing products.

http://allthatgleams.co.uk/car-care-reviews/best-car-polish/

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/63776/best-car-wax-2016-group-test

I use Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, Autoglym Super Resin polish and Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax.

The problem with super resin polish is that it is very abrasive, if your MH is gel coated, you will very quickly erode the surface leaving it porous and making it difficult to keep clean . For this reason, unless there are swirl marks or surface contamination, I would avoid abrasive polishes. After many years of keeping boats and classic cars, there are a few products that I would recommend for keeping motorhomes clean and shiny.

If the surface is faded or marked, I would use Meguire's Ultimate compound with a wet pad, to clean the surface without cutting, a good clay bar will remove contamination. to finish, it is difficult to beat Colonite 476 wax, it is detergent proof, gives a great shine and lasts very well. For the ultimate shine, I would use Meguires 26 professional yellow paste wax.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2016-08-31 7:32 AM

I use Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, Autoglym Super Resin polish and Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax.

I don't doubt it Derek ;-) .......

We must compare anoraks one day :D..........

Guest pelmetman
Will86 - 2016-09-01 5:38 PM

Sorry, not a polisher or waxer, Only a once a year washer ... when its raining.

Whether it needs it or not eh Will? :D .......

• 4 months later...
hagrid - 2016-08-31 9:17 AM

The problem with super resin polish is that it is very abrasive, if your MH is gel coated, you will very quickly erode the surface leaving it porous and making it difficult to keep clean . For this reason, unless there are swirl marks or surface contamination, I would avoid abrasive polishes. After many years of keeping boats and classic cars, there are a few products that I would recommend for keeping motorhomes clean and shiny.

If the surface is faded or marked, I would use Meguire's Ultimate compound with a wet pad, to clean the surface without cutting, a good clay bar will remove contamination. to finish, it is difficult to beat Colonite 476 wax, it is detergent proof, gives a great shine and lasts very well. For the ultimate shine, I would use Meguires 26 professional yellow paste wax.

wondered when someone would mention Meguires. I have used it for many years on boats, motorhomes and classic cars

Thank You for your response.

My van is a year old and didn't appear to need much cleaning,but as it would be used less in this filthy wet winter ,I gave it a good all over clean with autoglym shampoo conditioner, then dried it with a soft cloth.

The colour is Gold with a pearly sheen. I can only see swirls on the side window that I cleaned with autoglym Fast glass.

I did read the bottle and it does not mention silicone, but a little article in MMM March '17 p203 alerted me that Autoglym said they had "No suitable products" I panicked as to what I may have done ....has the damage been done? I have a bagful of different Autoglym products as little gifts from friends for my pride and joy.

For side windows (the plastic ones)after washing I find Sparkle household plastic and glass cleaner does an excellent job using the old style yellow duster. 3M Finnessit ( not sure on the spelling) is an industry standard polish for gel coat and paint and can pe applied by hand or machine but should be used lightly. Dos'nt come cheaply either.

Archived