Idle Thoughts on Brexit

Dave225

Some idle thoughts re Brexit:

1. Will we have to replace out current EU number plates with one that has a Union Jack in place of the existing EU blue flag and stars? Will we have a grace period? Will St George’s Cross, Saltire and Welsh dragons be allowed??

2. Will there be anew channel at Immigration for UK passport holders only? My cynical mind thinks that even if we did it will still take longer as the Border officials seem to view all Uk passport holders with the utmost suspicion and seemingly cheerfully wave through other nationalities. But is a hope.

3. Will we see a return to Duty Free and being searched to see if we have that illicit bottle hidden in the child’s suitcase? Hopefully the UK Government will play sense and allow the existing rules to remain. Of course if there is a huge increase in smuggling then they will have to take action. Once imjports of French/Italian/Spanish wine dry up and are replaced by Australian/New Zealand/South Africa/ Chile then I think there will be much ado etc. Prices may drop......whoopee!

4. I assume my EU passport will need to be replaced by a glossy black UK one. Unfortunately mine expires next year so I may be stuck with the EU beer mat one for another 8-9 years. Will it be stamped with a red line stating ‘Non EU Citizen’??

5. I guess that if Border Controls become more vigorous then once I am in Schengen then travel will be as it is now. If not then there will be the old fashioned stop at the Border for a stamp etc. Could make life more interesting at Parties to show off your passport etc. Or probably make you the bore of the year.

6. Will we have a solid Border between Eire and Northern Ireland? I doubt we cannot have one as the alternative options would be bad. An open Border allowing anyone to walk into the UK is a bit too much to tolerate despite what the 2 Governments have to say. Will this mean the IRA start their smuggling rackets again?? On an aside Wee Burnie up here hopes to keep Scotland as part of the EU somehow ( and regardless of cost) so I foresee a solid border in Northumberland and Cumbria being the result. I do not think it will happen because Wee Burnie will get her marching orders before then. It would be a b....r for me visiting the grandkids though.

7. I also have a sneaky feeling that Spain will do a deal with the UK so that travel between the 2 countries is basically as it is now. The loss of all that expat revenue would mean big problems for them as unemployment would rocket and I doubt they are that stupid, so I foresee things staying pretty much as they are. Imposing a hard border would be catastrophic for all the Spanish working in Gibralter and come a Spanish election..................??

Conclusions???

I suspect things will not be that bad and despite what all the Remainers have to say, they could actually be of benefit to us, although there may be a few glitches to overcome.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dave225 - 2017-02-16 7:56 PM

1. Will we have to replace out current EU number plates with one that has a Union Jack in place of the existing EU blue flag and stars? Will we have a grace period? Will St George’s Cross, Saltire and Welsh dragons be allowed??

2. Will there be anew channel at Immigration for UK passport holders only? My cynical mind thinks that even if we did it will still take longer as the Border officials seem to view all Uk passport holders with the utmost suspicion and seemingly cheerfully wave through other nationalities. But is a hope.

3. Will we see a return to Duty Free and being searched to see if we have that illicit bottle hidden in the child’s suitcase? Hopefully the UK Government will play sense and allow the existing rules to remain. Of course if there is a huge increase in smuggling then they will have to take action. Once imjports of French/Italian/Spanish wine dry up and are replaced by Australian/New Zealand/South Africa/ Chile then I think there will be much ado etc. Prices may drop......whoopee!

4. I assume my EU passport will need to be replaced by a glossy black UK one. Unfortunately mine expires next year so I may be stuck with the EU beer mat one for another 8-9 years. Will it be stamped with a red line stating ‘Non EU Citizen’??

5. I guess that if Border Controls become more vigorous then once I am in Schengen then travel will be as it is now. If not then there will be the old fashioned stop at the Border for a stamp etc. Could make life more interesting at Parties to show off your passport etc. Or probably make you the bore of the year.

6. Will we have a solid Border between Eire and Northern Ireland? I doubt we cannot have one as the alternative options would be bad. An open Border allowing anyone to walk into the UK is a bit too much to tolerate despite what the 2 Governments have to say. Will this mean the IRA start their smuggling rackets again?? On an aside Wee Burnie up here hopes to keep Scotland as part of the EU somehow ( and regardless of cost) so I foresee a solid border in Northumberland and Cumbria being the result. I do not think it will happen because Wee Burnie will get her marching orders before then. It would be a b....r for me visiting the grandkids though.

7. I also have a sneaky feeling that Spain will do a deal with the UK so that travel between the 2 countries is basically as it is now. The loss of all that expat revenue would mean big problems for them as unemployment would rocket and I doubt they are that stupid, so I foresee things staying pretty much as they are. Imposing a hard border would be catastrophic for all the Spanish working in Gibralter and come a Spanish election..................??

Conclusions???

I suspect things will not be that bad and despite what all the Remainers have to say, they could actually be of benefit to us, although there may be a few glitches to overcome.

1) Initially it will be GB but expect that to be replaced by a combination of a Welsh dragon over St.Georges cross because Scotland will go and as N.I voted Remain, they are already looking at putting up border controls.

2) Ideally there will be two channels. One for Remain voters who will be fast tracked through customs border control, the other for Brexiters which will start at Operation Stack on the M20 where most attempting to leave UK will spend their holiday in future.

3) Duty free we've enjoyed for many years will become history. 200 fags, one bottle of spirits, two bottles of wine or one case of beer at a max. Current UK Gov "guidelines" will simply be enforced by HMRC as maximum limits. Watch out for the rows of shiny motorhomes impounded by HMRC lined up waiting to go to the crusher.

4) Assuming we do leave EU (still a very long way off and serious regret growing daily), then the passport will be headed Little England & Wales or similar. They need to be stamped with the owners political persuasion of Remain or Exit.

5) Schengen may well go. It's a possibility. Remain passport holders will get priority. Brexiters will be sent to the back of the queue.......assuming they've made it off the M20.

6) It was mentioned on the news tonight. Ireland are already looking at border controls.

7) Ex-pats living in Spain should be registered as Spanish resident already. The Gibralter issue is a problem as they have border controls there anyway, but Spain has some citizens living in Spain but working in Gibralter whilst Gibralter has some who work in Spain so the border control there is really going to be a pile of fun.....especially in summer!

Guest pelmetman

Ditto ;-) ..........and a lot of Remoaner b*tching :D ........

Bulletguy - 2017-02-16 8:40 PM

The Gibralter issue is a problem as they have border controls there anyway, but Spain has some citizens living in Spain but working in Gibralter whilst Gibralter has some who work in Spain so the border control there is really going to be a pile of fun.....especially in summer!

(My feeling is that Gibraltar is a parasite Britain would be more prosperous without.)

The biggest border problem will be for the just in time deliveries the foreign (especially car) manufacturers in Britain depend on. EU Border officials are suddenly going to have immense powers to ruin whats left of industry in Britain - and no one has shown themselves as more adapt at that than the French - remember what they did to Japanese imports making them all queue up go through a tiny customs office in Poitiers. Another inconvenient problem the Brexiteers have simply ignored.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-02-17 9:29 AM

The Gibralter issue is a problem as they have border controls there anyway, but Spain has some citizens living in Spain but working in Gibralter whilst Gibralter has some who work in Spain so the border control there is really going to be a pile of fun.....especially in summer!

(My feeling is that Gibraltar is a parasite Britain would be more prosperous without.)

The biggest border problem will be for the just in time deliveries the foreign (especially car) manufacturers in Britain depend on. EU Border officials are suddenly going to have immense powers to ruin whats left of industry in Britain - and no one has shown themselves as more adapt at that than the French - remember what they did to Japanese imports making them all queue up go through a tiny customs office in Poitiers. Another inconvenient problem the Brexiteers have simply ignored.

.....and what you Remoaners ignore ;-) .......Is that Monsieur Peugeot and Citroen etc will want to sell their Frog cars to us Brits, so I would imagine any overt back stabbing would be reflected in the sales of their vehicles >:-) .........

Conclusions???

An interesting and at times amusing stream of consciousness that provides a welcome change from the tone of the usual spats we get into. The only one that bothers me much personally, and I admit quite selfishly, is number 3. I don’t share your optimism Dave that wine from the New World will become cheaper or that the government “will play sense” as you put it by allowing the status quo to remain for the booze cruiser. Any opportunity to increase tax revenues would be hard for the government to resist non? (Just thinking about wine and cheap fags made me drop in a bit of French).

Veronica

pelmetman - 2017-02-17 9:44 AM

I would imagine any overt back stabbing would be reflected in the sales of their vehicles >:-) .........

If buyers were that patriotic wouldn't they be buying British assembled vehicles in the first place?

We already see some border obstructions whilst we are in the EU. The Spanish will not allow freight traffic through the Gibraltar border at weekends, which creates a lot of problems for the Morrisons supermarket. IIf they are delayed and late at the border on Friday afternoon they are stuck half a mile from their destination until the next working day with fresh produce rotting on board whilst the supermarket is going short. At any one time Morrisons have 14 artics on the road just to supply the one supermarket (which is why its more expensive than other Morrisons supermarkets)

Foreign owned car factories won't put up with that and tariffs as well. They will accept generous relocation packages to move into the EU. Especially since British workers are the cheapest to sack - the reason they puit factories in Britain in the first place)

John52 - 2017-02-17 11:04 AM

Foreign owned car factories won't put up with that and tariffs as well. They will accept generous relocation packages to move into the EU. Especially since British workers are the cheapest to sack - the reason they puit factories in Britain in the first place)

..and aren't Peugeot looking to buy GM (Vauxhall & Opel), so who knows where Vauxhalls could end up being made?....

Back to the general point; Apart from the possibility of a few extra queues and/or a bit more form filling(and maybe having an Asian or African,instead of eastern Europeans to wipe their backside when they eventually go into a care home),I can't see leaving the EU making that much difference to the lives of the average retired, state/private/public sector/"Navy" pension drawing motor-homer...

(not unless it involved a need to ration their internet access?.... (lol) )

It'll be those in employment..and those having to meet current-day levels of mortgages and rents, whilst bringing up families, that'll bear the brunt of any affects..

pepe63 - 2017-02-17 11:32 AM

..and aren't Peugeot looking to buy GM (Vauxhall & Opel), so who knows where Vauxhalls could end up being made?....

Back to the general point; Apart from the possibility of a few extra queues and/or a bit more form filling(and maybe having an Asian or African,instead of eastern Europeans to wipe their backside when they eventually go into a care home),I can't see leaving the EU making that much difference to the lives of the average retired, state/private/public sector/"Navy" pension drawing motor-homer...

It'll be those in employment..and those having to meet current-day levels of mortgages and rents, whilst bringing up families, that'll bear the brunt of any affects..

Well said Pepe. I've added all of the inconveniences you mention to my selfish fear of increased expenditure on booze and fags. The only upside is my indulgences mean a swifter departure from this world and make it less likely that I will be around long enough to endure the indignity of someone else having to wipe my backside.

Veronica

John52 - 2017-02-17 9:29 AM

I doubt UK will ever give up their beloved rock island John though i suspect there may be a battle over it now! Just 4% voted Leave which speaks volumes. They may elect to go with Spanish sovereignty. If i had a business there that's exactly what i'd be doing right now.

Not quite the same but it does bear similarities to the politicking which went on prior to the Falklands war. It did seem strange that we had an island over 8,000 miles away, which was only 900 miles away from the country who felt it 'theirs'. Unknown to many islanders (at the time) Thatcher was on the verge of handing it over to the Argentinian Government but the Generals got impatient.

Previously Falkland was all but a forgotten place, neglected by UK. Since the war millions have been pumped in to the infrastructure and we maintain an entire regiment of troops there. Resident islanders are also exempt from University fees unlike mainland UK.

Violet1956 - 2017-02-17 10:50 AM

An interesting and at times amusing stream of consciousness that provides a welcome change from the tone of the usual spats we get into. The only one that bothers me much personally, and I admit quite selfishly, is number 3. I don’t share your optimism Dave......

Veronica

You'd be right to be bothered. Under current HMRC Notice 1 ruling both fags and booze are listed as "guidelines" and "personal use"........two vague terms many British have always misinterpreted and argued over. In short what it means is if purchases are made within any EU country, there is no maximum as long as you can prove the items are for personal use only and not resale (which many have been doing over the years!).

Assuming we exit EU, UK Gov will simply take "guidelines" out and replace it with "maximum limit" and give HMRC the powers to enforce it. Limits will be so punitive and draconian, people will have no other option but to pay the hiked up prices in UK.

Thanks to the lunacy of Brexit you will see the end of free trade.

Guest pelmetman

I would imagine any overt back stabbing would be reflected in the sales of their vehicles >:-) .........

If buyers were that patriotic wouldn't they be buying British assembled vehicles in the first place?

We already see some border obstructions whilst we are in the EU. The Spanish will not allow freight traffic through the Gibraltar border at weekends, which creates a lot of problems for the Morrisons supermarket. IIf they are delayed and late at the border on Friday afternoon they are stuck half a mile from their destination until the next working day with fresh produce rotting on board whilst the supermarket is going short. At any one time Morrisons have 14 artics on the road just to supply the one supermarket (which is why its more expensive than other Morrisons supermarkets)

The difference is would you buy something from a country that's actively trying to harm yours? ;-) ........

Oh I think you are wrong there. It will make a big difference. It already has. I have been banging on about motorhomers voting for Brexit being like Turkeys voting for Christmas for long enough.

Lets remind ourselves of the downsides for us.

Poor exchange rate. On my last trip over the water we enjoyed four months at over 1.4 to the pound. Now look at it and if or when we leave I would expect it to drop to Parity at least. Over a four month trip your looking probably at it costing you £1000 more than when it was at its best.

However point number two. We will only be allowed three months in Schengen anyway so you wont be able to spend as much I guess but bad news for all those Snow birds who like to spend the entire winter in Spain on a bit of scrubland and bad news for people like me who like to spend the entire summer wandering around Europe.

Yep, Duty free. How many of us overloaded our vans with all our goodies on the way home. The government will not do us any favours here. Not only that, already much of the stuff I really like to eat and drink from France which was already expensive here has started to shoot up even more. It will be warm crappy British beer and cheddar cheese from now on but Brexiteers will probably like that.

EHIC Card. That will no doubt go. Travel insurance will rocket and of course will not cover existing ailments. Try not to get ill, injure yourself or die as it will be costly.

Roaming rates. Just when we were on the brink of the EU flattening them we will be back to how it was ten years ago.

Those are a few for starters but yeah, unless you dont give a toss about money and are willing to be an illegal alien for long trips there is very little to get excited about for our post brexit motorhoming in mainland Europe.

pelmetman - 2017-02-17 12:40 PM

The difference is would you buy something from a country that's actively trying to harm yours? ;-) ........

That's a bit rich coming from someone whose just spent the last four or five months swanning around Spain spending money there in preference to supporting his beloved UK.

How thin the pretentious veneer of so called "patriotism" is as rank hypocrisy prevails. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-02-17 1:09 PM

pelmetman - 2017-02-17 12:40 PM

That's a bit rich coming from someone whose just spent the last four or five months swanning around Spain spending money there in preference to supporting his beloved UK.

How thin the pretentious veneer of so called "patriotism" is as rank hypocrisy prevails. *-)

Is Spain actively trying to prevent us Brits from coming to Spain? ;-) .........No BG quite the opposite B-) .......

If they were then I'd go elsewhere and spend my money........ and I'll do the same should any EU country try to impose penalties on the UK >:-) ..........

I am a true patriot not like you whinging Remoaners *-) .......

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-02-17 12:54 PM

Oh I think you are wrong there. It will make a big difference. It already has. I have been banging on about motorhomers voting for Brexit being like Turkeys voting for Christmas for long enough.

Lets remind ourselves of the downsides for us.

Poor exchange rate. On my last trip over the water we enjoyed four months at over 1.4 to the pound. Now look at it and if or when we leave I would expect it to drop to Parity at least. Over a four month trip your looking probably at it costing you £1000 more than when it was at its best.

However point number two. We will only be allowed three months in Schengen anyway so you wont be able to spend as much I guess but bad news for all those Snow birds who like to spend the entire winter in Spain on a bit of scrubland and bad news for people like me who like to spend the entire summer wandering around Europe.

Yep, Duty free. How many of us overloaded our vans with all our goodies on the way home. The government will not do us any favours here. Not only that, already much of the stuff I really like to eat and drink from France which was already expensive here has started to shoot up even more. It will be warm crappy British beer and cheddar cheese from now on but Brexiteers will probably like that.

EHIC Card. That will no doubt go. Travel insurance will rocket and of course will not cover existing ailments. Try not to get ill, injure yourself or die as it will be costly.

Roaming rates. Just when we were on the brink of the EU flattening them we will be back to how it was ten years ago.

Those are a few for starters but yeah, unless you dont give a toss about money and are willing to be an illegal alien for long trips there is very little to get excited about for our post brexit motorhoming in mainland Europe.

Yeah I can just see Spain chucking me out after 3 months (lol) ........Do der maff's Barry *-) .......

17 million Brits go to Spain every year.......Do you really think they'll allow the EU to mess with that meal ticket (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

Guest pelmetman

Oh dear generation Snowflake may catch a cold *-) ........

I wonder what they'd do if they had 15% mortgage rates like we had to contend with >:-) .......

Guest pelmetman

Yeah right......So countries not part of the EU cant be in the EHIC scheme?.......That'll be news to Norway, Iceland, Switzerland etc (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2017-02-17 3:01 PM

Is Spain actively trying to prevent us Brits from coming to Spain? ;-) .........No BG quite the opposite B-) .......

Quit wriggling. You posed the question to that poster, "would you buy something from a country that's actively trying to harm yours?" I'm not sure exactly what "harm" you feel EU countries are doing to ours but you obviously have zero issue with buying in an EU country!

I am a true patriot not like you whinging RemAIners *-) .......

Poppycock. You are a Brexiter of convenience using and taking whatever "bits" of EU countries suit you. That's not the sign of a "true Patriot"......it's rank hypocrisy!

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-02-17 5:19 PM

Quit wriggling. You posed the question to that poster, "would you buy something from a country that's actively trying to harm yours?" I'm not sure exactly what "harm" you feel EU countries are doing to ours but you obviously have zero issue with buying in an EU country!

I am a true patriot not like you whinging RemOAners *-) .......

Poppycock. You are a Brexiter of convenience using and taking whatever "bits" of EU countries suit you. That's not the sign of a "true Patriot"......it's rank hypocrisy!

Correction I have no issue with buying in a European country ;-) .........

Plus us Brexiteers are of course patriots when compared to you RemOAner sycophants >:-) .........

According to Barry we don't make cars in Britain. Or are you going to get all pedantic and claim that assembling cars from components is not making them. John *-)

pelmetman - 2017-02-17 6:13 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-02-17 5:19 PM

I am a true patriot not like you whinging RemOAners *-) .......

Correction I have no issue with buying in a European country ;-) .........

So why ask, "would you buy something from a country that's actively trying to harm yours?"

And you never answered my question, what is this "harm" you believe EU countries are inflicting on ours to the extent you pose the question about "buying something from a country trying to harm ours".

You are contradicting yourself and your own statement.

Plus us Brexiteers are of course patriots when compared to you RemAIner sycophants >:-) .........

But that's exactly my point Dave. So far i'm not seeing very much of this so called "patriotism" at all. You should be staying in this country and financially contributing towards this economy.......but you've chosen to support an EU countries economy instead and i view that as rank hypocrisy.

Archived