Do we need a new Water pump?

harryajh

The water pump starting making pumping noises when it shouldn't recently on our Chausson Welcome 717GA when no taps were open.

Drained the whole system, refilled, bled the taps and all work fine.

Turn off the tap and the pumping noise turns off after a few seconds as usual but then it starts again and just keeps going.

The pump expels water underneath the garage in bursts of about 5 seconds approx every 30 seconds - has anyone any idea what's causing this?

thanks

Is your boiler inside the garage directly above where the water is being expelled? If so the frost or pressure relief valves may have failed.

Alternatively the pressure switch may have failed on the pump causing the pressure relief valve to dump the water.

Keith.

harryajh - 2021-08-27 4:28 PM

The water pump starting making pumping noises when it shouldn't recently on our Chausson Welcome 717GA when no taps were open.

Drained the whole system, refilled, bled the taps and all work fine.

Turn off the tap and the pumping noise turns off after a few seconds as usual but then it starts again and just keeps going.

The pump expels water underneath the garage in bursts of about 5 seconds approx every 30 seconds - has anyone any idea what's causing this?

thanks

The likelihood is that there is nothing wrong with the (pressure sensitive) water pump and it is repeatedly restarting because pressure in your motorhome’s water system is being lost (ie. water is leaking out of the system ‘downstream’ of the pump).

The simplest possibility (as Keith has said) is that, after you had drained and refilled the water system, the drain valve (a Truma “FrostControl” valve”?) did not close properly and - with all the taps closed - is releasing water as the system comes up to the water pump’s set pressure-limit. Or the drain-valve itself may have developed a fault.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Truma-frost-protection-not-closing/58771/

That water is emerging UNDER the garage area suggests that it’s coming out of a plastic drain tube rather than just leaking from (say) a failed water connector inside the motorhome. There will (probably) be two tubes - a larger diameter tube that’s connected to the drain-valve and a much smaller diameter tube that’s connected to a fitting on the heater and lets air out when the water system is being filled and lets air in when the water system is being drained. The air out/in fitting on the heater sometimes fails, but failure seems to be quite rare. (It might help to know how old your Chausson is.)

So check under the garage and establish where the water is emerging from. Then you should be in a much better position to diagnose from where in the water system the water is being lost.

thanks for all the replies, the Chausson is the 2015 model and is a pressurised system as far as I know.

Will have to try to get underneath later to check where water is being expelled from but it looks like its the same place where it emptys when draining for wintering.

Just a thought, we've kept habitation certificate upto date which I believe guarantess major appliances for 10 years? - would the pump (if it needs replacing) be covered by this does anyone one know? - sound expensive

It’s usually obvious when a pressure-sensitive water pump is fitted as they are fairly noisy and make a characteristic ‘drumming’ sound when operating.

This 2015 GB Chausson User’s Manual

https://www.chausson-camping-cars.fr/wp-content/uploads/MANUEL-Chausson-2015-Anglais.pdf

includes details of Truma’s FrostControl drain-valve (Page 40) and Page 60 mentions SHURflo water pumps.

The most commonly installed SHURflo pump is the 12V Trail King 7/20psi version (example advert here)

http://www.midlandleisuresupplies.co.uk/Shurflo-Trail-king-7-litre-per-minute-20psi-pressurised-12-waterpump

that is widely available for around £50. Replacement is usually straightforward, but that largely depends on how accessible the pump is.

A SHURflo pump will have a 1-year warranty, though Chuasson’s own conversion warranty might extend this (though not to 6 years). Conversion warranties have historically been quite short (2 to 3 years) and ‘water ingress’ warranties won’t cover replacement of failed major appliances. If you think the annual habitation checks you’ve had done would cover a water-pump replacement, I suggest you check the documentation.

Anyway, none of the symptoms you’ve described point to a water-pump problem...

Over the years , I have found that sometimes the drain valve on the heater, also the drain down valve drips, sometimes more heavily than others after a drain down.

I think the seals either move or get a bit of dirt in them, deposited from either the valve seat, or water.

I turn the pump on, and open and close the valves a couple of times, so the pressure pushes the debris out.

Worth a try.

Rgds

just a quick update and to say many thanks for all the help

couldn't see anything obviously wrong so took it in to a repair shop.

They found the pump was cracked, terminals corroded and several leaks - fitted new pump and sorted all leaks, going to give a bash next week when we're away next but hopefully all sorted - phew!

But - where did all that leaked water go? It must have gone somewhere, so was it traced and eliminated? Not trying to agitate you, but, depending on the scale of the leaks before you became aware of the problem, water will find its way into all kinds of nooks and crannies and, if not dried out, is liable to initiate rot in timber, or timber derived, materials.

the guy showed me the 2 places inside where water had leaked, next week (weather permitting), I intend to open even window/door and let the sun/wind dry any residue up.

I also have loads of those dehumidifier little tubs which I'll place everywhere when we park back up

and of course a damp tester meter to make sure it is fixed 100%

Archived