Filling up with Fresh Water

Fellbound

Silly question!

I'm still very new at this. Got my MH at the back end of last summer and to date I've only done short 2/3 day trips, so I have been filling the water tank at home and it has lasted each trip. But obviously on longer trips I will need to fill up elsewhere.

My filling hose has a Hozelock type attachment. Is this suitable for taps at all camp sites or do I need to take some form of universal fitting with me? And on the continent? Also my hose is 7.5 metres. Will that be long enough (water filler is at rear of my motorhome). What do others do?

Not a silly question at all. Much depends on how you use your van.

Personally I have never used a container or watering can much preferring to drive to a tap but if you are parked up in one place for several days, something we rarely do, I 'can' see the benefit!

If you only ever use sites chances are that your hose and a universal Hozelock hafl and three quarter inch type tap adapter plus a container with funnel will be all you will ever need.

If you rarely use sites then Aires, marinas and the opportunist tap when you come across one will often take a bit more ingenuity and possibly an extension hose in some cases.

There are many different size taps around Europe and as time passes we have collected many different adapters learning and adapting as we go.

The one we use most apart from the Hozelock is like this.

http://www.wilko.com/hose-pipes-sprinklers+spray-guns/wilko-tap-connector-round/invt/0298821

Both the above and the Hozelock screw on are available in larger sizes and we do also occassionally use the one inch sizes when we find a wider outlet tap, threaded or unthreaded, on a custom built service point.

http://www.hozelock.com/product-category/watering/fittings-and-connectors-watering/tap-connectors/

For several years I've been using a 25l water container and filling up the tank from inside the van. However, I have just bought a 15m food grade hose again because I am tired of lugging water. I'll split the hose into 10m and 5m and use a smaller container for top ups. If you find your current hose is not long enough - it should be, then buy another and a hose lock connector.

If you are like me, you'll end up with a selection of hose connectors. Hoselock does a fitting the screws on to taps - sometimes you have to unscrew the tap spout, and this connects to your standard fitting. This, and the traditional end with the jubilee clip, are the ones I use the most in the UK.

Bear in mind that water points and light coloured trousers do not make a good pairing unless you are very careful.

Fellbound

This 2010 forum discussiion will provide some idea of what other motorcaravanners do about fresh-water replenishment.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/water-filler-hose/20486/

Using a container or a watering-can to fill a motorhome’s fresh-water tank may not be practicable (eg. when the water tank is external or the hose from the filler to the tank is near horizontal). In any case, if there’s a tap nearby why not use a hose?

I have a 10-metre ‘cassetted’ hose and that’s always been long enough. As your motorhome’s filler is at the rear of the vehicle a 7.5-metre may well be adequate. But only time will tell and, if you find it necessary, you can always extend your present hose’s ‘reach’ by adding an extra section as Brock will be doing.

Brock - 2016-03-18 9:12 AM

Bear in mind that water points and light coloured trousers do not make a good pairing unless you are very careful.

Oh how true that is!

Soddes law applies - when the fitting comes loose and the water squirts you it will most likely hit you where it will look like there has been a different kind of accident!

I don't use a hose and I don't carry more than about 10 litres water (I simply have 2 x 5 litre containers in the van. (Old plastic wine barrels from France!)

That said we tend only to use sites & we don't often tour in the UK, only over the channel.

The barrels are always full and are refilled whenever we visit the toilet block on site and emptied into the on-board tank. In a couple of days the tank has plenty of water in it. I tend to empty the tank when I empty the grey water when we leave site.

The main reason we do this is that we are marginal on payload - We have 2 electric bikes plus a motorbike on board (& a few litres of wine/beer!) and would be right on the limit with full fresh and grey water tanks ~200Kg.

Works for us.

I always carried a bag of different connectors. Only 2 ltr bottles now as we stay local.

Do remember when using strange water sources to check its drinking water only and not a washing type. (lost the title of it)

If by chance in a foreign country and you have to buy a hose don't do what I did in France and choose a nice coiled flat one ... only to find it was perforated for irrigating the garden.

Excellent!

Thanks for all the help everyone. I woud rather fill the tank with the hose and do not think I can top up it up from inside the MH. I now think I know what I need. I'll use the Hozelock connector when possible, but will also take one of those connectors with the jubilee clip type fastner from Wilko for non-standard taps. As I have a funnel and 5 litres plastic ocntainer with me as well,the latter used for brewing up etc., I can use those in emergency if the hose wont reach or the connector doesn't work.

Brock - 2016-03-18 9:12 AM

George Melly use to say "giving to charity was like wetting yourself in dark trousers. You got a lovely warm feeling but nobody notices"

I am a World Class cheapskate.

I found that by using a Hozelock fitting (the one for joining 2 hoses) on the end of the hose, it fits nicely into the tank filling point and stays there (as long as you are not filling at full bore, which I never do).

The best thing since sliced bread for filling by hose is this (water block filler):

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/water_products.htm

It's half way down the page on the right (yellow thingy). Item number is N26712 and retails for £18 + £6 pp.

Highly recommended especially if your fresh water tank is not vented. I use it with a short length of food grade hose (12mm internal dia, 600mm long) which is then connected to my flat 15m cassette type hose. For more convenient fill points, I just connect a short 3m length of normal food grade hose.

The owner of the website is an active motorcaravaner and knows his stuff. No connection, but a happy customer.

Sorry Robbo but I can't agree.

Firstly why make a simple process more complicated than it needs to be?

Secondly, unless this one is different, pressure regulators and narrow fill hoses from inlet to tank tend to make the water flow agonisingly slowly whereas a hose stuck down a wide fill tube fills as quick as it get down t'tube.

Pretty much every water tank has an overflow vent these days, unfortunately often so badly designed and sited sited that it prevents the tank from filling fully, to prevent slow filling and a vacuum forming as the water level drops.

The wider the hose bore the quicker the filling.

Tracker - 2016-03-18 4:12 PM

Secondly, unless this one is different, pressure regulators and narrow fill hoses from inlet to tank tend to make the water flow agonisingly slowly whereas a hose stuck down a wide fill tube fills as quick as it get down t'tube.

Pretty much every water tank has an overflow vent these days, unfortunately often so badly designed and sited sited that it prevents the tank from filling fully, to prevent slow filling and a vacuum forming as the water level drops.

Tracker, I think you're singing from a different hymn sheet.

The product I was referring to does exactly what YOU most desire in a filling system. Basically, it is an adaption of sticking a normal hose pipe into the water inlet. The yellow plastic contraption holds the hose pipe in place and clips into most water inlets by 3 lugs and turning clockwise.

If you look more carefully at the link I poster, you'll probably follow my description a bit better. It's made in Italy, but don't worry, some good things have been known to come from there !!!

Robbo - 2016-03-18 6:30 PM

The product I was referring to does exactly what YOU most desire in a filling system. Basically, it is an adaption of sticking a normal hose pipe into the water inlet. The yellow plastic contraption holds the hose pipe in place and clips into most water inlets by 3 lugs and turning clockwise.

If you look more carefully at the link I poster, you'll probably follow my description a bit better. It's made in Italy, but don't worry, some good things have been known to come from there !!!

Aaaaah so!

I see now - you mean the replacement tank filler cap with a Hozelock adapter fitted on it and not the big ugly box thingy at the top of the page. Silly me!

In which case I agree - I have a home made one from an old cap with a broken lock that I modified and it does exactly what it is supposed to do.

That said shoving the hose end with a hozelock fitting on it down t'open filler 'ole to help it stay in place has the same effect and costs even less!

Tracker - 2016-03-18 7:01 PM

Robbo - 2016-03-18 6:30 PM

Aaaaah so!

I see now - you mean the replacement tank filler cap with a Hozelock adapter fitted on it and not the big ugly box thingy at the top of the page. Silly me!

In which case I agree - I have a home made one from an old cap with a broken lock that I modified and it does exactly what it is supposed to do.

That said shoving the hose end with a hozelock fitting on it down t'open filler 'ole to help it stay in place has the same effect and costs even less!

Noooooooo - not that one.- see this from another website:

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/water-block-filler-p-4757.html?osCsid=3e8d8c33ffc994d700b1362e50045a6b

The Water Block Filler, when connected, has an air gap which helps vent the tank.

You stick with your simple and effective system and I'll stick with my slightly more expensive simple and effective system.

No right or wrong ways - just different, to quote your signature phrase, haha !!!

Over twenty squids (incl P&P) for a dollop of yellow plastic - you cannot be serious!

You're darned right I will stick to my cheap, simple and effective systems!

I'm not saying you are wrong - just that I have a differing view point - but if it works for you it must be right for you and that is all that matters innit!

No right or wrong - just different!

Tracker - 2016-03-18 8:07 PM

Over twenty squids (incl P&P) for a dollop of yellow plastic - you cannot be serious!

You're darned right I will stick to my cheap, simple and effective systems!

I'm not saying you are wrong - just that I have a differing view point - but if it works for you it must be right for you and that is all that matters innit!

No right or wrong - just different!

Tracker, the only reason I recommended this bit of kit was because I thought it might be of interest to others on this forum. That is what this forum is all about, after all.

However, your initial negative comments (without fully understanding the product in question) is unfortunate ,to say the least.

I respect your views (generally) but try to understand that others are not quite so gifted at bodging up stuff to suit their particular requirements.

I prefer to spend a few quid and purchase something that is purpose designed. This product is one of the most useful I have purchased in 40 years of campervanning (sorry, hate the term Motorhoming as I started out with a Type 2 VW combi, converted by myself).

Let's let the other forum members decide. Perhaps we can let this matter rest - it's over and out from me.

Robbo - 2016-03-18 7:32 PM

Noooooooo - not that one.- see this from another website:

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/water-block-filler-p-4757.html?osCsid=3e8d8c33ffc994d700b1362e50045a6b

The Water Block Filler, when connected, has an air gap which helps vent the tank.

/QUOTE]

Neat one Robbo; I think you are right, and a bad bodge is a waste of time; and that's valuable in itself.

Sadly; not all gizzmos work

regards

alan b

P.S. Not that I'd want to leave the hose unattended.

So has anybody got a remote tap that they can fit to the filler hose?

Alan,

I use a Hozelock 'STOP' connector on the end of my hose so when I disconnect it from the MH the flow stops. After turning the tap off I then push a double ended hose connector in to release the valve to allow me to drain the hose. Simple solution really!

Keith.

Archived