Ford Chausson gremlins back to bite us....

StevenP

So, do you know when your motor home was built? Well, don’t assume it’s 100 per cent as described on the label – or the invoice.

When we collected a brand spanking Chausson Welcome 630 in July and embarked on our maiden trip to Cumbria we understandably assumed we were riding on a 2018-built vehicle….because the sales blurb and invoice says it’s a “new 2018 model” so it must be right mustn’t it?

Well, only in part, as we have ruefully learned after our newly registered Ford Transit based Chausson repeatedly lost power on that maiden trip up the M6 – particularly worrying on a busy Friday afternoon, I can tell you.

This is our first motor home and I’m new to this forum. I am aware that the Euro 6 engine problem has been aired in a thread last year, ‘2017 Ford Transit Mk 8 issues’. Old news maybe, except that it’s still relevant in 2018, hence this new thread.

So back to that first adventure, or rather misadventure. We managed to reach our campsite just off the M6 in Cumbria and called out Ford Assist whose engineer diagnosed various faults but couldn’t be specific. The “service required!” flashed on the dash and an alarm sounded at regular intervals, coupled with significant power drops.

Fast forward two days and our sick dream machine is in a Ford dealership where it is diagnosed as having a faulty set of fuel injectors – yes, that problem from 2016 and 2017 back to bug us.

The good news was that they would replace the injectors under warranty but the bad that it could be a few weeks before they got them in from Europe. However, Evans Halshaw pulled out all the stops (bless ‘em!) and had us back on the road 24 hours later having sourced new parts and taking the motor home on a 20 miles test run. So we were luckier than some who had bought in 2017.

Later, we are told that the Ford was built on July 1st 2017 - more than a year before we drove off in it. Also, according to the Ford UK database, the vehicle was “registered” on October 23rd 2017.

What did that mean? Who had “registered” it? Don’t know said Ford UK but the warranty would run from October 2017, not July 2018.

We can only assume that Chausson routinely registered the Transit in France when they bought it in to build the entire motor home.

We have recently learned retrospectively (outandaboutlive.co.uk 26/02/2018) that the warranty will be extended to five years from date of purchase but still wait for written confirmation.

So even though the motor home was delivered into the UK in April this year and the invoice has the chassis VIN as 2018 (as does the V5) the Ford was built over a year previously.

It may be that this is common with motor homes built on Ford, Fiat or Peugeot….?

Prior to buying, I read on fordtransit.org that there had been problems with the Mk 8 engine in 2016 and 2017 and had I known this was a 2017 build, I wouldn’t have risked buying it.

Still, with the replacement injectors in the low emissions engine now working harmoniously, the Ford’s “car-like” set-up does offer a fine drive and reassuring handling. 2018 buyers beware though!

It's quite normal for motorhome manufacturers to buy in a stock of chassis and then work their way through them, building the bodywork over a period of time. So the Ford base vehicle may be two years old by the time it is finished and delivered. The build date will be in the Ford handbook, but why it was registered before you bought it is a mystery, unless someone was going to buy it previously and then pulled out.

"2018 models" are often launched in August of the previous year.

Think you should be talking about this to the Dealer who sold you this 'pre-registered' vehicle, was it sold as such? If not, you should be due a substantial rebate....for loss of Warranty. Which COULD come and bite you in the wallet. May not, but you cannot be sure.

If the Dealer didnt tell you that the base vehicle Warranty had already been registered, then he is guilty of fraud. Getting money under false pretences.

Dont just accept it, at the very least Free Servicing and perhaps an expensive extra for the Van.

The real date of registration will be on you V5C, and I have little doubt that it will be the date at which your dealer sold it to you, and the only way it will have received the appropriate year's registration is if it were "new" at that point.

It isn't uncommon for the base vehicle to be entered on the warranty system shortly after delivery to the converter (my suspicion is that they have the vehicle PDI'd by Ford dealer staff on/shortly after delivery to avoid future issues, and this "forces" the entry into the warranty system).

The Ford warranty should start from the real date of registration (as per the Ts&Cs), not some arbitrary date shortly after it went to the converter, and you should raise the matter with Ford Customer Services.

A couple of 'vans ago I successfully got them to alter my warranty from 2 to 3 years on an imported Transit base, also setting the start to the UK registration date. I know they have subsequently changed the way they deal with this, but can't remember the details - it may be that they will now only accept details of first (real) registration date from Chausson.

I did a write-up of my experience, but it seem to have disappeared in some of the past forum maintenance. It is referenced here, however, which demonstrates that your experience (both warranty and vehicle age) is far from unique.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/No-warranty-on-new-motorhome/22856/

This 2008 forum thread discussed Ford warranties.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ford-Warranties/11285/

Whatever the make of vehicle on which a motorhome is based, the warranty provided by the base-vehicle’s manufacturer should not commence when a base-vehicle is handed over to a motorhome converter, and the norm is for that warranty to commence when the completed motorhome is first registered (eg,. by the DVLA in the UK).

The date that a base-vehicle is handed over to a motorhome converter (Chausson in this instance) will undoubtedly be recorded (ie. be ‘registered’) on the base-vehicle manufacturer’s database (on Ford’s database in this case) and, unless that date is revised when the completed motorhome is registered in the country it is sold, it will be taken as the start-date of the base-vehicle's warranty..

There’s no ‘fraud’ involved - when things go wrong it’s just a screw-up in the proper bureaucratic procedure - but it has proven tricky in the past for the eventual retail-buyer of the motorhome to have the originally-recorded start-date of the base-vehicle’s warranty corrected.

In SteveP’s case (as Robinhood has advised) he should discuss this with Ford Customer Services. However, it would have been the Chausson dealership that sold Steve his new motorhome that dealt with the motorhome’s UK-registration and it should be that dealership that ensures that the start-date of the Ford warranty accurately reflects when the motorhome was UK-registered.

As far as ’new’ motorhomes being built on quite ‘old’ chassis is concerned, this is reasonably common. Not sure how to guard against this risk, as (realistically) you won’t be able to find out when the base-vehicle was built until you can gain sight of the documentation relating to the completed motorhome.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-08-28 9:42 AM

As far as ’new’ motorhomes being built on quite ‘old’ chassis is concerned, this is reasonably common. Not sure how to guard against this risk, as (realistically) you won’t be able to find out when the base-vehicle was built until you can gain sight of the documentation relating to the completed motorhome.

You can normally get an idea of when a base vehicle was built by looking for tell tale signs such as the manufacturers date tag on seat belts, moudling dates on ash trays or easy to remove plastic mouldings like cup holders, etc. These latter dates may well be coded but you won't need to be a rocket scientist to decipher them. ie a clock dial with 12 markings around the periphery and year code in centre, etc.

Ot if you lift the bonnet look for manufacturers part number labels on wiring harnesses or plastic mouldings again.

You soon get a picture of when parts where actually made and hence a feel for when the vehicle was built.

Keith.

Actually it transpires that you need to be logged in to get the full information. I've just tried it with my mother-in-law's Ford's VIN and I get only basic information but I do have an Etis print for the same vehicle from a dealer that shows everything e.g. build date, warranty start date and registration date. So the assistance of a Ford dealer seems to be required to determine the build date of a prospective purchase.

Steve928 - 2018-08-28 11:23 AM

Actually it transpires that you need to be logged in to get the full information.

But there is a way around that...

Find your VIN (either from V5C or ETIS link above) then enter it here...

http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/ford_eu/vin_check

Or if that doesn't work try...

http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/ford_eu

and then you can decipher the year and month of build. Not totally straightforward but should be acceptable to those who really want to know.

PS It should work with other makes and models if you select the right menu item.

Keith.

Keithl - 2018-08-28 12:52 PM

Steve928 - 2018-08-28 11:23 AM

Actually it transpires that you need to be logged in to get the full information.

But there is a way around that...

Find your VIN (either from V5C or ETIS link above) then enter it here...

http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/ford_eu/vin_check

Or if that doesn't work try...

http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/ford_eu

and then you can decipher the year and month of build. Not totally straightforward but should be acceptable to those who really want to know.

PS It should work with other makes and models if you select the right menu item.

Keith.

It didn't work for me - the only date it returned was first registration date.

When I said

"As far as ’new’ motorhomes being built on quite ‘old’ chassis is concerned, this is reasonably common. Not sure how to guard against this risk, as (realistically) you won’t be able to find out when the base-vehicle was built until you can gain sight of the documentation relating to the completed motorhome.”

I wasn’t referring to establishing when a completed motorhome’s base-vehicle was manufactured once the motorhome was available to inspect, as doing this presents no great difficulty.

What I was getting at is that, when one orders a brand-new motorhome, there’s no way of knowing the build-date of the base-vehicle on which the motorhome you’ve ordered will be constructed and, consequently, no way to guard against the risk that the base-vehicle might have been built a lot further in the past than you might like.

I ordered my 2015-model-year Rapido motorhome in October 2014 and, at that time, there was no certainty when its Fiat Ducato base might be (or might already have been) made. I took delivery in April 2015 and, from the documentation that relates to the vehicle, I know that the Ducato base-vehicle was ‘assigned’ to Rapido on 10 January 2015 - so, my Rapido’s Ducato base was about 3-months old when I took delivery, but I could not know that this would be so when I ordered the Rapido.

In StevenP’s case, the Ford Transit chassis on which his Chausson is based has a build-date of 1 July 2017, making the chassis 12-months old when he took delivery of the motorhome. Any mechanical revisions that Ford might have made to Transits that were built post-1 July 2017 were not applied to Steven's Transit chassis and the well-reported injector problem showed up just after the motorhome was handed over to him.

Steven says that, if he had known that his Chausson’s Transit base would have a 2017 build-date, he would not have risked buying it, but (as I said earlier) this type of risk is always lurking in the background and can’t really be guarded against.

If you order a new motorhome it’s to be expected that there will be a few months interval between the build-date of the base-vehicle and when the completed motorhome is ready for delivery. There was a 4-months interval for my Rapido and a 6-months interval for my previous Hobby motorhome. A 12-months interval is unusually long, but probably would not matter except for the Transit injector issue.

The possibility that the base-vehicle’s warranty will have its start-date when the base-vehicle was assigned to the motorhome converter is another potential risk that can’t be guarded against until the motorhome has been completed and delivered. As has been warned here before, it’s always worth confirming from an agent for the base-vehicle’s make what warranty start-date is ‘registered’ on their database fot the motorhome’s base-vehicle. The sooner a wrong start-date is recognised, the simpler it should be to correct.

My sincere thanks for the replies and information.

I thought it might be the case that MH vehicle bases can be bought by converters the previous year and your comments confirm that.

It remains unclear why it was “registered” in October last year, presumably in France, either by Chausson or the Ford dealer, unless “registered” is nuanced differently in the handover process involving Ford and the MH converter. Perhaps, as Derek says, it is simply Ford “recording” the vehicle handover to Chausson. I wish someone would tell Ford UK that! They insisted to me that the warranty would run from that October 2017 date. I have since written to Ford customer relations and await their reply. I am also discussing that, plus other issues with the dealer.

It is the case that by entering Ford’s own database can you establish the date of engine and chassis build. So that’s useful for any prospective buyer to know.

I have only today seen the wording of a letter on the Ford Transit Forum (May 16, 2017 2.20pm) from Ford Customer Relations at Daventry in which they tell a Transit based motor home owner that when the engine is “new and run for short periods of time when cold”, condensation forms on the injector nozzle….and ….”during the process of conversion to a motor home the engine is regularly started for short periods of time when cold. This is why motor homes have been particularly affected.”

The next few words seem hollow: “Corrective action is being addressed in manufacture and an interim action has already been actioned with motor home converters to prevent further recurrence.”

Well, my July 1st, 2017 build must have been overlooked as that was after the Ford letter in May.

I urge anyone thinking of buying a Ford-based Chausson in 2018 to ask their dealer to check the VIN with Ford to establish build date. This fuel injector corrosion problem did not afflict every Mk 8 Euro 6 Transit and the problem is apparently now covered for five years from purchase in the UK.

But you don’t want to be caught out by a power loss on a busy motorway, or any road, believe me! Insist on a thorough test drive.

We were naïve (stupid?) enough to drive away without having had a test drive, which, undoubtedly, would have exposed the problem via the “service required!” warning light and accompanying audio alarm which came on momentarily within a few minutes of departing the dealer. Yes, I can hear you all sighing! There were reasons, but I’ll leave it that for now.

Last, Billggski says the vehicle build date should be in the handbook, but it isn’t the case here. All I have is an undated stamp by a French Ford dealership in the warranty book. Any view of this please?

I’m pretty sure that the build-date of the ‘chassis’ was not in the Transit handbook of the Hobby motorhome I bought in 2005, and it’s not in the Ducato handbook for my current Rapido - though a certificate was provided giving the (correct) start-date for the Fiat warranty. The date of the Fiat Certificate of Conformity relating to my Rapido’s Ducato chassis tallies with the date I understand the chassis was assigned to Rapido, but Ford’s procedure may be different.

I didn’t test drive my Rapido (nor my Hobby) before accepting it, so you aren’t alone...

The build date was on the first page of my Fiat service book, which was actually two years before first registration!

It was clearly delivered from Italy to Germany, built up into a motorhome and then delivered to the UK, when its first registration triggered the warranty.

But as I bought it three years old, with 12,000 miles on the clock, it had been run in, any problems sorted,, loads of extras added, and was half the price of when new.

But still had two and a half years of Lowdhams gold warranty, which I didn't need to test. Luckily.

AFAIK, Chaussons "model year" starts when they return from the summer shutdown, so from next week 2019 vans will be coming off the lines. This would tie up with the 2019 brochure being the "current" version on the website https://www.chausson-motorhomes.com/contact-us/catalog/

A Ford chassis built in Turkey early July 2017 may not have made it to the Chausson production line before the summer shutdown, so it would be built as a 2018 model when production restarted if that were the case.

As Chausson changed quite a bit with regards to trim and upholstery between the 2017 and 2018 versions, it should be easy enough to see which MY you have - both the 2017 and 2018 brochures are still available on the link above for comparison. As I had a 2017 van on the Ford and now a 2018 on a Fiat, I am all too aware of the differences ! The differences are even greater for 2019 vans - presumably to try to keep the prices down.

If it helps, my previous Roller Team van was "new" to me & first registered 1st March 2013. The CoC was dated December 2012, which is when it was received by Roller Team UK. The Roller Team gas test printout stuck inside the gas locker was dated November 2011 (presumably when the habitation bits were built onto the chassis at Roller Team) & the Fiat build specification sheet was dated July 2011 - so my "new" van was well over 18 months old by the time I took delivery ! It appeared to have stood in a pound in Italy for a year before reaching the UK, which probably explained why the cab battery was DOA (replaced without comment with a new OEM FIAMM battery under warranty while I waited at the Fiat dealer)

Having had the injectors issue on the Ford I had ( an early build Euro 6 170hp model) I know well how scary going into limp mode is - particularly when you have just picked it up & it is all unfamiliar, on a wet M62 in the rush hour. The Ford technicians tried to tell me mine was OK on the basis of a local roads test drive - they changed their tune after one junction up the M62 ! They came off at the next junction & came back on local roads as it was "too dangerous" to come back on the motorway. Your 24 hours turnaround was better than the 5 weeks it took to sort mine - I might have presevered longer with it had I received that level of support as, in large part ,it was my lack of confidence in Ford's commitment to sorting issues in a reasonable timeframe that made me choose to change to the same MH but on a Fiat in under a year. Did they do the dipstick recall at the same time as the injectors, or was yours late enough to have had the shorter version fitted by the factory ? IIRC, the shorter disptick increases the sump capacity by a litre.

Re: the Ford warranty - I did get a letter from Ford retrospectively applying the 5 year warranty to my van. I suggest finding out just what this warranty is, though (I didn't look into it as I had done the deal to get the Fiat when the letter arrived), as I don't think it is Ford who are offering the full 5 years. IIRC, the wording on the large poster in my MH dealer says in the small print below the big "5 years" bit something about 2 years Ford warranty & 3 years "dealer backed" (or something similar), whatever that means ?

I guess I must be the sole ex-Ford owner who wasn't impressed by the "car like" setup & "great handling" - while it was certainly a more compliant ride then the Fiat, that came at the expense (to me) of the excessive pitching & rolling on the softly sprung and damped chassis. Mrs B has already commented that my driving is a bit more "spirited" in the Fiat !

I hope your new injectors have fixed the problem for good & that you have many memorable journeys - for the right reasons !

Nigel B

Billggski - 2018-08-28 7:50 PM

The build date was on the first page of my Fiat service book, which was actually two years before first registration!...

You haven’t said how old your motothome is, but, when the Fiat Ducato part of my 2015 model-year Rapido gets serviced, the ‘stamp’ goes into the appropriate section of a thick multi-languge booklet titled “Fiat Motorhome Warranty and Services”. The booklet has nowhere in it to record the Ducato’s build-date, nor is that date recorded in the other Fiat booklets that came with the motorhome.

Regarding the Fiat Warranty, the booklet states:

“Fiat Warranty only covers all the base starting from the delivery date of the Motorhome by the Motorhome dealer (“Seller”).”

“The Warranty goes into effect on the day of delivery to the end customer or, if irrelevant, from the date of first registration of the Motorhome.”

This should be the case with any new coachbuilt motorhome irrespective of the base-vehicle’s manufacturer.

This 2009 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Warranty-Problems-/14433/

related initially to under-warranty servicing, but went on to discuss potential problems with a motorhome’s warranty start-date. (Don’t bother trying to use the links in the final posting - they are all ‘dead’ now!)

As the equivalent to our term “model-year”, French motorhome manufacturers use the word “collection" . (example here)

http://www.rapido-camping-car.fr/rapido_actualites_2019-la-creme-du-design.phtml

Each ‘collection’ will undoubtedly differ from its predecessor - new models may be introduced, old models may be dropped, an existing model may be revised to a greater or lesser extent, there may be cosmetic changes across some or all the manufacturer’s model-ranges, etc.

Details of a new collection will begin to be known mid-year

https://www.campingcarlesite.com/camping-car-neuf/

and ‘new collection’ motorhomes will then start to become available to motorhome dealerships.

If a new collection coincides with a significant revision to the base-vehicle (eg. for Ducato in 2006 and 2014) it should be possible to identify immediately if the motohome has an ‘old’ or ‘new’ base. But if the base-vehicle remains unchanged across a collection break-point, a ‘new collection’ motorhome could be built on a base-vehicle that has some age. Plainly, once a base-vehicle has left its factory of birth, it would be as well for it to be transformed into a motorhome as quickly as practicable and then rapidly be purchased and used by a motorcaravanner. Otherwise it’s going to sit around on its tyres with its brakes rusting in the rain, require care to ensure that its starter-battery is looked after (as Nigel touches on) and gradually deteriorate.

But there can be quite a delay between when the base-vehicle is born and when its conversion into a motorhome has been completed, and another long delay after the conversion is complete and a motorcaravanner buys it.

Where SteveP’s Chausson is concerned, it stands to reason that a right-hand-drive Ford Transit camping-car chassis-cab unit intended to be converted into a motorhome to be sold in the UK will not have been ‘registered’ in France in October 2017 in the way that an equivalent left-hand-drive motorhome would have been ‘registered' when bought in France by a motorcaravanner. It’s far more likely that the October 2017 ‘registration date' on the Ford database (when the chassis was apperently already 3-4 months old) was when the chasss was received by Chausson. It may be possible to confirm this from the motorhome's documentation, together with when the motorhome conversion was completed by Chausson and when the motorhome arrived in the UK and was transported to the UK dealership from which Steven bought it. However, it should not be necessary for Steven to be investigating the history of his Chausson, as there’s no good reason to think that he might be other than the motorhome’s ‘first retail’ buyer and, consequently, the Ford and Chausson warranties should commence on the day that the motorhome was handed over to him.

It’s very obvious from past forum discussions that the warranty-date issue Steven is faced with is nothing new (and that it too often seems to affect Ford-based motorhomes). Me, I’d demand that the Chausson dealership involve themselves with Ford about the start-date anomaly and also progress with Ford the 5-year warranty extension Nigel mentions.

A couple of additional recollections :

I am pretty sure that there was a French Ford dealer stamp in the PDI section of the Warranty / Service record booklet on my Transit. This would most likely have a date stamp.

An easy way to determine the Model Year is the cooker - the 2017 vans had a 3 burner gas hob + an oven / grill unit above the fridge/freezer. The 2018 models have a Thetford Triplex hob / oven / grill unit with 2 gas burners and an electric hotplate. I have only experienced 610s, but I think that the 630s are the same in this regard. The 610s have different bed mechanisms for 2017 & 2018 models, but I don't know if similar changes were made to the 630.

HTH

Nigel B.

Nigel

It used to be the case that the motorhome dealership was responsible for arranging that a new motorhome’s ‘base vehicle’ be PDI’d by an an agent for the manufacturer of that base-vehicle. That responsibility ceased years ago and, nowadays, the base-vehicle part of a new motorhome will already have been PDI’d when the motorhome dealership receives it. In principle, the motorhome dealership need only ‘PDI’ the conversion part of the motorhome, though a responsible dealership will also take a close look at the base-vehicle.

It would be normal practice for a Ford-based Chausson motorhome to have its Transit base-vehicle PDI’d in France, and for Steven’s motorhome that PDI may well have resulted in the 23 October 2017 ‘registration date’ on the Ford database. But Steven’s Chausson’s Ford warranty should still start when he took delivery of the motorhome.

Hopefully Steven’s motorhome actually is a 2018 model-year Chausson (albeit with a June 2017 Transit chassis) but he should definitely confirm this from the kitchen-equipment variations you’ve highlighted.

I can’t thanks you guys enough for your interest and advice. Nigel is quite right that we were comparatively fortunate to have the fuel injectors fitted within 24 hours. I reckon that is because Ford belatedly got their act together with the UK supply of injectors in the face of continuing complaints since Nigel’s awful experience of last year. I do know that some police Transits have been afflicted so perhaps that has had some influence!

In response to Nigel’s impressive eye for detail, yes our 630 does have the two gas burners and electric hotplate ( a handy option ) so that confirms that the model is 2018.

The nub of the confusion was that the sales invoice has the year 2018 printed below the VIN so I was puzzled how this could be the case after discovering the July 2017 engine and chassis build date. I think the invoice remains ambiguous even though it does reflect the information on my UK registration V5.

And had I known the engine build was 2017 at point of sale, I wouldn’t have taken the risk of buying, having read of the 2017 injector problems online.

Derek’s information about motor home dealers no longer having an obligation to PDI the base vehicle and just the conversion is very interesting and he is quite right that a “responsible dealership will also take a close look at the base vehicle.” Precisely - and particularly so given the Euro 6 Mk.8 Transit’s well documented history of fuel injection failure. And prospective buyers should insist on an engine function check before completion of sale.

Thanks again.

Archived