In Built Media Unit

Sunseekers2

Pages 7 & 8 of the article on this link may be of interest regarding the Aguri unit

https://murviclub.org.uk/w/wp-content/uploads/2019-Autumn-newsletter.pdf

I’m doubtful that it’s practicable to load ‘custom’ POIs into the AVIC-EVO1-DT2-C-GR unit

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/avic-evo1-dt2-c-gr

The blurb states that the unit

“...offers precise navigation with up-to-date map data for 46 European countries with over 10 million points of interest (POI) and a database of POI dedicated for motorhomes (fe.: Bordatlas and ViaMichelin)...”

but there doesn’t seem to be anything in the operating instructions about adding further POIs.

(There are on-line comments about loading custom POIs to AVIC units , but the comments all seem to be fairly old.)

Thanks for the info. It was as I suspect for the AVIC unit a bit of a procedure to upload your own POI'S and also the pain of map and speed camera updates. The article about the AGURI was interesting but also eluded to another unit the ATOTO which needs more exploring. What this has opened up is that Multi Media in built units it's a minefield.

I believe the navigation software in the majority of the Pioneer satnav units is IGO Primo (Nextgen). This can be confirmed by looking in the manual (available for browsing online) for the map update instructions, which will refer you to "Naviextras" and its toolbox.

If this is so, (I'm pretty sure it is for all current Pioneer models - it is for the EVO models I've checked) the map update toolbox provides the capability to add custom POIs via a similar process to carrying out a map update.

I have run IGO on a good few devices over the years, and POIs are loaded in Google Earth (.kml) format, and these have become increasingly available from most of the usual download sites (though it is relatively easy to convert to them from another format, say TomTom, if not).

IGO provides for sophisticated handling of POIs in this format, and I have a comprehensive set on my current navigation device. This device runs the software from an SD card, and this makes it easy to update maps by transferring it to a PC and using a PC based tool for map update, and also to update and/or "tweek" the POIs by editing on the PC before re-inserting the card in the device in the 'van).

The Pioneer process is slightly less convenient, since the navigation software and contents are run from internal memory on the navigation device, not a removable SDcard. In order to update, you must use a tool on the navigation device (Synctool) and dump the navigation contents to a user-provided USB device. This then functions like the SDcard in my device, and is updated via the same PC based tool before taking it back to the navigation device and using Synctool there in the opposite manner to update the in-memory contents from the USB.

The PC-based tool (Naviextras Toolbox) has a specific option to add custom POIs in .kml format to the USB , which will subsequently be transferred to the navigation device.

Two things to note:

The PC-based tool only runs on Windows, not Mac.

The transfer of .kml files via this method MAY only be supported at a baseline level (e.g. .kml and no custom Icons). I can't find any information on whether it supports any of the additional capabilities that I use, being able to directly edit. (e.g. custom Icons, nested POI sets (e.g. Aires broken down into categories, which allows a search for all, or a selected sub-type)). I suspect that, natively, the toolbox doesn't support these. I also suspect, given the way the thing works, that the USB could be separately edited between download and upload to do exactly what I do with the removable SDcard. (I'm waiting to confirm the dumped USB format with a friends device - I think it is going to look exactly like my SDcard, with user-defined POIs stored in the same location).

FWIW, I find IGO, when mastered, my preferred embedded navigation software. Some years ago, I did a write-up on creating/editing POIs on this platform and it is still relevant.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/IGO-and-Primo-POIs/34445/

Thanks for the info. I use Naviextra's to update my Zenec unit which is playing up and I want to replace. I assume it's the same process for the AVIC as used on the Zenec I download the required POI convert to the required format (is it .kml ?) and then add through the extras tab.

I am assuming the extras tab will work for the Pioneer (Since it uses Naviextras Toolbox for updates). I also have a long-held assumption that this method adds the POIs but doesn't enable custom Icons (you might be able to confirm - though I think you can select one of the inbuilt icons on the unit?).

On the Zenec/Clarion/Xzent units I've used over the years, because the software/maps/POIs are all on the SDcard, and the unit runs from that card, then I haven't used the extras tab to add POIs, but edited (copied) the POI data directly to a specified location on the card. With offline preparation of the data, it is possible to manipulate the data and add custom Icons, nest the POIs in categories, etc.

Since the update process for the Pioneer units consists of a memory download to USB, update the USB via Naviextras toolbox, then a reload of content back into device memory from the USB, I'm making a small leap of faith that the "extras" tab for POIs will work the same way at the middle stage, and a slightly greater leap of faith that editing the contents of the USB stick at the intermediate stage would replicate my method of editing the SDcard.

(If using the "extras" tab creates/populates the content/userdata/poi folder with the desired POIs, then this is almost a given - if it populates the content/poi folder, then it is slightly less certain)

This may not be absolutely correct but using the extras tab on my Naviextra's I then open another tab which then allows me to see POI's and Naviextra's then allows me to add my POI's to the folder via the from/too function. Never been able to get the icons to work but the named folder(my renaming) do show up in Custom POI's on the unit when I'm looking.

Direct editing is to content/userdata and then each of two subfolders poi and usericon.

The userdata folder often doesn't exist from scratch and then needs to be created (along with the two required subfolders) (Though this was the folder I was wondering whether the extras tab method populated).

The method is detailed in the downloadable PDF from the link I posted above and requires specific file contents as detailed therein.

I'm not sure how "broken" your Zenec unit is, but if you want to try relatively up-to-date IGO POIs (and Icons) for

Bordatlas

CampingCar-Infos

Archies Camping

C&CC and CAMC (sites, CLs, etc)

UK Supermarkets

MyLPG.EU

I can dump my folder contents somewhere for you to download and copy to your (assumed) SDCard.

(It's around 3Mb as a zip file).

Unfortunately it's not playing ball. The Radio does not tune but cycles through the frequencies. thought it maybe an Aerial problem but then tried the USB music stick and it does the same with that. Also it's not that responsive to touching on the buttons on occasions, given that the Sat Nav side works ok but a 4+ hour journey without music is a bit tedious and can't find a dealer here to touch it and not sure if it's worth spending the money. Thanks for your offer but got all of them on it via Naviextras. I notice the new pioneer uses Here maps is that the same as Igo ?

Sunseekers2 - 2020-10-18 12:24 PM

I notice the new pioneer uses Here maps is that the same as Igo ?

Igo (Igo Primo, Nextgen, etc.) is the navigation software.

It can work with mapping data from different suppliers (subject, of course, to it being made available in the appropriate format).

The satnav unit supplier will decide on IGO as the software, and then have a choice of mapping data suppliers.

The Zenec/Xzent family currently (I think) all use TomTom provided mapping data.

I can't confirm the Here maps for Pioneer, but it confirms my perception from a friend's AVIC device (and I certainly had Here/Navteq maps in a previous IGO device).

TomTom and Here are probably the major suppliers of mapping data for OE and aftermarket devices. Here was Navteq ((and Nokia) in an earlier life and is now owned largely by a consortium of German carmakers.

Archived