You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Format:  Go
National Battery labelling standard - Progress?
AuthorMessage
userTeamRienza
Posted: 7 December 2018 11:44 PM
Subject: RE: National Battery labelling standard - Progress?

Liking what I've found

Really pleased for you on the health front. Long may it continue!

Since joining this forum I have enjoyed and learnt lots from your postings. I appreciate what you are achieving for us all with your campaigning. Long may that continue.

Davy
userGeeco
Posted: 8 December 2018 3:39 AM

Has lots to offer

Maybe the PM should get you on her team you seem to have a lot more success on both the health front and the battery BS purge than she has had of late. Reading about your health improvement is one of the nicest stories this Christmas - congrats. It is nice when the good guys win.
Cheers,
useraandncaravan
Posted: 10 December 2018 1:00 AM

Forum master

Thank you everyone for the nice things said.

Aandy, I wonder if 'prayers' are about religion or more about projecting positive energy in a certain direction?
I think I am a religious person, but also believe that the mind has amazing potential for things we don't always understand.

Geeco, I am not sure anybody would want to be on T. May's team right now?
I certainly don't, having too much fun with my Wife and 2 children, making the most of every minute.
We went to see Cinderella in Llandudno last night and I had as great a time as my kids. My wife said it was like being out with 3 children.

Edited by aandncaravan 2018-12-10 1:04 AM
userStuartO
Posted: 10 December 2018 8:57 AM

Forum master

aandncaravan - 2018-12-10 1:00 AM .... having too much fun with my Wife and 2 children, making the most of every minute. We went to see Cinderella in Llandudno last night and I had as great a time as my kids. My wife said it was like being out with 3 children.

That's the ticket! I don't think it makes sense for any of us to be holding our breath for an end to the Brexit saga, let alone volunteering to get involved in trying to engineer a solution!
useraandncaravan
Posted: 8 February 2019 9:38 AM

Forum master

Just had an email from the government team investigating the mis-labelling and misselling of batteries.

This includes the following statement:

Test results I have are startling and concern me. I will be interested in the explanations of these importers/distribution/rebranders when I make contact with them.

You will note that the issue is solely with " importers/distribution/rebranders ", not the big battery manufacturers.

We have found that it is the likes of the Enduroline, Powerline, Platinum, etc made in the Far East usually to the lowest possible specification and with labels printed and applied in the UK that often don't mirror the battery's internals.

At the beginning of the year we had a motorhome with a duff battery that tested with the wrong resistance for it's technology. The capacity claims on the label also made me suspicious. When it was cut open, what was stated to be an AGM on the label turned out to be a very poor quality wet/flooded battery. You will not be surprised to hear it had the name of one of our least favourite 'makes'.

The government team have said they will release more info when they can, but as some of the test results will lead to Court appearances, that may be only limited information in the case of specific perpetrators.

As I have said before, not one big name battery manufacturer has any question marks on their batteries so sticking to these is safe and sensible. However, we would advise caution if considering any NCC verified Leisure battery other than the big names of Varta, Exide, Bosch, Yuasa, Banner.

When choosing batteries from the NCC Verified battery scheme, if a battery sounds too good to be true, you can be sure it is.
userarthur49
Posted: 8 February 2019 10:06 AM

Lives on the forums

Great work Allan ....
userPaul-
Posted: 8 February 2019 10:21 AM

Has lots to offer

Thank you for the update Allan, well done.
userdipsticks
Posted: 8 February 2019 10:31 AM

Pops in from time to time

Great work and result Allan, well done.

Why do they take so long whilst honest hard working folk are being relieved of their hard earned and not getting what they expect and have been told they're going to get.
useraandncaravan
Posted: 8 February 2019 10:58 AM

Forum master

dipsticks - 2019-02-08 10:31 AM

Great work and result Allan, well done.

Why do they take so long whilst honest hard working folk are being relieved of their hard earned and not getting what they expect and have been told they're going to get.

That is something I am finding frustrating, but when a battery is tested to BS EN 50342 it is charged fully for several hours rested 4 hours then slowly discharged, rested for 4 hours then recharged, etc.
The charge/discharge is calculated to be a 'percentage' of each batteries capacity so that it is comparable regardless of the batteries size.
On a bigger battery that can take an entire day for a single cycle. With a battery claiming 600 cycles that is a long, long time.

It makes you wonder how DBS Energy managed to test their 2,000 cycle battery which would take about 5.4 years, when the technology they are using has been around in the company for a lot less than that.

But it must be right, because the NCC have also 'verified' the test results "using independent Test houses". Maybe the NCC use a test house that has some magic way of independently replicating a 5 year cycle test in a month?
How about a Victron Lithium battery with claimed 5,000 cycles (potential 13 year test process) when the Lithium Iron technology it uses has only been prevalent for about 3 years?

My concern after some comments in this mornings email is that because testing can be so protracted for a quality high technology battery, the testing might be 'shortcut' to just testing capacity, as in it's Ah rating, for some Leisure batteries.

Edited by aandncaravan 2019-02-08 11:21 AM
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator