Peugeot boxer egr valve problems

Pennydog

I have just had the third egr valve installed in my Peugeot Boxer based Motorhome within 12,000 miles!

The technician said that this is very common with this engine. Does anyone know how I can prevent the egr valve failing so frequently? Fuel additive perhaps..? Help! I'm desperate. It has cost me £1,500 just for egr valve replacements!

Thanks guys

You can blank the EGR valve off with a £5 plate off ebay

If you are lucky this won't bring on the emissions light on the dashboard (MOT fail)

If it does plan B could be a blanking plate with a small hole in. In which case make sure its a stainless steel plate. Because it will heat up like a hot tap does when you turn it on. Aluminium plate might melt. Mild steel plate might rust sending shards of rust into the engine.

Having a plate with slots like the one shown makes it easier to fit as you only have to loosen 2 bolts, slide it in, retighten B-)

1221376349_blankingplate1.JPG.761de171e4f0e4d2092187834c00944f.JPG

697004507_blankingplate2.JPG.5363ecdc72d1252ba562e3434637c239.JPG

Plan C might be to drive like a proper whitevanman or boy racer (lol) - they have no problems with the EGR valve.

THE EGR valve opens to let exhaust gas into the engine (eat its own sh*t) when the engine can cope with it - when its hot and running at high revs. If you don't drive like that very often it gets gummed up, and sticks open when you do put your foot down. Feeding the exhaust gas into the engine when it can't cope with it - when its cold and at lower revs. So it coughs and splutters - if it will start at all.

Assuming your vehicle is fitted with the 2.2 engine, that is a Ford Puma engine as fitted to the Transit, then it is a part with poor reliability. However it should cost much less by using a local garage and using a readily available part. Depending on the year the part cost could be less than £ 100.

Example,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-Valve-CITROEN-Relay-FIAT-Ducato-PEUGEOT-Boxer-IVECO-Daily-3-0D-2006-162642/173689255872?epid=27027036171&hash=item2870afb7c0:g:7joAAOSw3-9cEibj&redirect=mobile

It's not too difficult to fit and labour costs should be relatively low, typically it takes about one hour to remove and refit.

It maybe that the valve was 'cleaned' rather than replaced by new, this is rarely sucessful.

Blanking a euro 4 engine is possible but a euro 5 engine may show fault codes. It's also technically illegal to blank the valve and perhaps one should consider the environmental aspect.

There is not a great one can do to prevent failure as it's usually due to contamination of the internal electronics and drive motor / gear train. Having a spare new unit may be useful insurance.

Mike

Mechanical egr's were easy to blank off with any old piece of metal cut from a tin can, as I did on a Pajero, when it was legal.

But now they are electronic so will put you into limp mode, and fail your MOT.

As I now have respiratory problems I now appreciate the reduction in noxious emissions.

Pennydog - 2019-09-03 4:46 PM

I have just had the third egr valve installed in my Peugeot Boxer based Motorhome within 12,000 miles!

The technician said that this is very common with this engine. Does anyone know how I can prevent the egr valve failing so frequently? Fuel additive perhaps..? Help! I'm desperate. It has cost me £1,500 just for egr valve replacements!

Thanks guys

I had exactly the same problem with our Peugoet Boxer 2.2 euro5 puma engine a few months ago, it went into limp home mode and I had to be towed to my local garage. They diagnosed EGR valve and recommended a one time permanent fix involving a https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/ EGR delete engine re-map. Took them about an hour and cost £395, runs beautifully now and money well spent in my IMO.

Steve

Celtic tuning's own website.

"IS EGR REMOVAL LEGAL?

Please note that we only offer EGR solutions for Off-Road Usage only. Although it is not illegal to remove the EGR from your vehicle, it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of the EGR will almost invariably contravene these requirements.

The potential penalties for failing to comply with Regulation 61a are fines of up to £1,000 for a car or £2,500 for a light goods vehicle."

Billggski - 2019-09-03 10:18 PM

Celtic tuning's own website.

"IS EGR REMOVAL LEGAL?

Please note that we only offer EGR solutions for Off-Road Usage only. Although it is not illegal to remove the EGR from your vehicle, it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of the EGR will almost invariably contravene these requirements.

The potential penalties for failing to comply with Regulation 61a are fines of up to £1,000 for a car or £2,500 for a light goods vehicle."

mmmm which is cheaper to keep replacing a part which keeps on failing ? or get it removed and 'possibly' reciieve a fine for tampering with your OWN engine. Difficult one that. I know which one I would choose.

But then I only ever built up engines for performance and speed......not for Regulations unless you count the scrutineer.

Billggski - 2019-09-03 8:32 PM

Mechanical egr's were easy to blank off with any old piece of metal cut from a tin can, as I did on a Pajero

Could rust and blow shards of steel into the engine. Better to use stainless steel.

But now they are electronic so will put you into limp mode, and fail your MOT.

Some will, some won't

I now appreciate the reduction in noxious emissions.

Don't we all. Nobody is suggesting blanking off an EGR valve that is working OK.

But the OP has been through 3 valves in 12,000 miles.

Blanking off a malfunctioning EGR valve can reduce emissions. Replacing it might reduce emissions some more - but for how long before it malfunctions again?

He would probably have emitted less fumes if he had done those 12,000 miles with the valve blanked off.

Especially since those valves can't have been used much anyway to clog up so quickly.

So they haven't saved much emissions, but will have increased emissions whilst they were malfunctioning.

What is he to do?

I think the problem with EGR valves gumming up on motorhomes in particular, is that us owners love our vans and consequently we do not drive them hard enough to get the exhaust gases hot enough to burn off the crud that collects in the EGR causing them to stick usually in the open position and loosing power. I myself am happy to cruise at around 60mph where permittable. I had to call-out the RAC when my mo/ho went into limp home mode, the RAC technician diagnosed an EGR fault and asked me if I ever drive the engine hard sometimes.

steveandlisa - 2019-09-04 9:24 PM

diagnosed an EGR fault and asked me if I ever drive the engine hard sometimes.

You could learn to drive like a boy racer. (lol) That would keep the EGR valve clear. But driving like that you'd increase your emissions more than blocking the EGR valve off :-S

John52 - 2019-09-04 9:57 PM

steveandlisa - 2019-09-04 9:24 PM

diagnosed an EGR fault and asked me if I ever drive the engine hard sometimes.

You could learn to drive like a boy racer. (lol) That would keep the EGR valve clear. But driving like that you'd increase your emissions more than blocking the EGR valve off :-S

So what`s the bloody point of manufacturers fitting the EGR valve in the first place " The mind boggles" >:-(

Last year at 9 years old and 240k I decided to remove and clean the EGR on my Toyota. There was nothing to clean. Most likely because I've been driving about 1000km per week on average, 90% of that has been on the motorway since I've had it. Under those conditions (cruise control at 125km/h, ~2200rpm) the EGR on this engine is open about 50% (depends on engine load with road gradient etc.). I've never checked how it behaves on the van as the OBD port is in a ridiculous position that requires me to drive with an open service flap if I want the scanner plugged in.

Just use your cars/vans for at least 30 min per drive, preferably on the motorway, and your EGR and DPF will be mostly happy. Just remember to allow time for the turbine to cool off by ending the drive with about 5min of easy city driving. Short drives and insufficient time to warm up will kill a turbo diesel engine very fast.

I have spoken to proper whitevanmen driving X250 2.2 puma engined vans for over 300,000 miles who had never even heard of the EGR valve and their engines run sweet as a nut.

Wheras old duffer in motorhome has the EGR so clogged after a few thousand miles the engine runs like a f*rt (lol)

That's useful advice. My Peugeot Boxer based Motorhome has had three new egr valves within 12,000 miles! We travel in Europe frequently and have just toured Scotland (we live on the Isle of Wight). So we do a lot of motorway driving. The mechanic told us that Boxers are notorious for egr problems......

What do you know about fuel and oil additives for cleaning the egr valve..?

Thanks

Pennydog - 2019-09-05 10:48 AM

What do you know about fuel and oil additives for cleaning the egr valve..?

Thanks

Frankly, like most people, only the advertising blurb they use.

Much of which has been discredited.

But whatever the problem some snake oil salesman will have a product that cures it *-)

I had a Mondeo TDCi with the 2 litre Puma engine. It certainly wasn't driven sedately. Never had an EGR fault flag up on diagnostics but every 20K or so I found the inlet manifold to be about 70% clogged with soot. Filthy job to clean it out. I blanked off the EGR valve and had no further problems over a further 60K miles.

spirou - 2019-09-05 10:14 AM

Just remember to allow time for the turbine to cool off by ending the drive with about 5min of easy city driving.

and if you are not in a city ;-)

Turbine will cool faster just letting the engine tick over.

Certainly a good idea to let the engine tick over for a couple of minutes for heat to dissipate before switching off if the engine has just been working hard. Turbo bearings can otherwise get red hot from the heat conducted from the blades when oil stops being pumped through them to cool them. Getting to the top of a long hill and switching the engine off immediately before heat dissipates away from the turbo can ruin the bearings.

Am I missing something here?

You've had the same part fail three times in 12,000 miles, presumably fixed by the same mechanic and you're happy with paying him yet again to fix it? If it were me I'd be climbing the walls and looking at taking action against the garage for fitting paatern parts or incorrect parts or using an incorrect process, I'd certainly not shell out to the mech to fix it again.

I'd be livid and at the least I'd go elsewhere and want some form of guarantee or warranty.

Have you spoken with Peugeot or a proper approved dealer to ascertain the normal failure rate of this part, 'cos three in 12k miles can't be right can it?

Archived