Red button

johnfromnorfolk

I usually put my Fiat Ducato into storage for about two weeks during the winter and then give it a run to warm and recharge the battery.

Recently when putting it into storage I disconnected the vehicle battery by depressing the red switch while removing the key.

After I performed this task I noticed a clicking noise from inside the M/H and the blue alarm sensor was flashing.

I hadn't noticed this before, any thoughts or advice?

I assume the red button is the one on the ignition-switch when a Ducato has the Battery Disconnection Function (as shown in attached drawing).

Other than you mentioning in an earlier posting that you own a 2013 Ducato, I’m not aware of any other details of your vehicle, so I’m not sure if it’s a motorhome or ‘commercial’.

I’ve no experience of the Battery Disconnection Function (my Ducato-based Rapido does not have it) other than what’s said in the Ducato Owner Handbook, and I believe you’ll need to provide more information about the “blue alarm sensor” that was flashing, as I’m uncertain whether this relates to a Ducato feature or something else (eg. an after-market alarm system).

I would have thought the Battery Disconnection Function could well trigger a relay (hence the clicking noise) and, if there’s an alarm system powered by the vehicle’s starter battery, that isolating the starter-battery might provoke a reaction from the alarm system. So, are you sure the clicking/flashing hasn’t always happened and it’s only now that you’ve noticed it?

755318612_batterydisconnectionbutton.png.36ef7e755fecc35268b2d20e7b28d0d8.png

The Battery Disconnection Function (BDF) was discussed in this 2017 MHFacts thread

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149-fiat-ducato/205394-battery-isolator.html

and it would appear that the specification of some Swift motorhomes built around 2013/2014 included the BDF. (I’m not sure why, in the MHFacts thread, there was doubt about the BDF’s functionality, as this is adequately covered in the Ducato Owner Handbook.)

Besides the drawing shown in my 1st posting above, the Handbook contains the text shown in the attachment below. (The last paragraph should read “The battery may have to be RECONNECTED...”)

When the ignition-key is turned to the BATT position, there should be a delay before the starter-battery is actually disconnected and, during that delay period, it would be expected that the Ducato’s owner would exit the vehicle and lock its doors remotely.

An after-market alarm system could be wired up directly to the starter-battery’s terminals so that the alarm could remain operative after the BDF has been engaged, or engaging the BDF could prevent the alarm from being powered by the starter-battery. And some alarm sysyems have a back-up battery to guard against the starter-battery becoming discharged.

As the clicking noise and blue-light flashing must be the alarm’s reaction to John engaging the BDF, to decide whether this is abnormal or not, it would be necessary to know what alarm system is fitted, how it has been installed, and how it might be expected to respond to the starter-battery being disconnected.

672622092_BDFtext.png.a7e7a665954a918ed763f8ddd2fb1874.png

I would have thought that should be the case, but there have been several reports here of the starter-battery of Ducato X250s discharging more rapidly than one might reasonably expect should happen (eg. difficult to start the vehicle after a fortnight’s non-use even when an alarm system has not been drawing 12V power).

And, of course, disconnecting the starter-battery will require lost transitory dashboard settings (time and date, possibly a radio code) to be re-input after the battery has been reconnected.

johnfromnorfolk - 2019-12-05 1:42 PM

I usually put my Fiat Ducato into storage for about two weeks during the winter and then give it a run to warm and recharge the battery.

Recently when putting it into storage I disconnected the vehicle battery by depressing the red switch while removing the key.

After I performed this task I noticed a clicking noise from inside the M/H and the blue alarm sensor was flashing.

I hadn't noticed this before, any thoughts or advice?

Just a thought, but do you have a solar panel fitted? I had a similar sounding 'clicking' and it turned out to be an interaction between the solar panel and the starter battery. Normally the panel was charging the leisure battery and overflowing into the engine battery, but when the engine battery was disconnected the linking relay started clicking.

Many thanks for all your replies.

The clicking and blue flashing light (factory fitted alarm) does show 45 seconds after setting the battery disconnect switch and leaving and manually locking the M/H.

I do lose the stored data i.e date, time etc.

The M/H battery would probably be o.k. after three weeks during the winter but I like to give it a run to warm the engine and habitation cab during very cold weather.

Thanks once again for our useful and informative replies.

As mentioned by Derek, it is possible that the alarm system has an internal back-up battery. Could it be that this back-up battery has failed, and the alarm system is trying to indicate that it is in trouble, as previously suggested by Keith? .

Alan

The Fiat factory alarm system available for Ducatos was discussed in this 2012 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-Ducato-Euro-5-manufacturer-alarm-system/28681/

but I can’t find any information about its specification or how it is turned on and off by a Ducato’s owner.

A blue flashing light is mentioned in this 2008 alarm-related thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/fiat-alarms/13574/

but I’m sure the Autowatch system referred to there would not have been installed in the Fiat factory.

John seems to be assuming that one or more forum members will own a Ducato with a similar specificatiion to his. However, although the Battery Disconnection Function is well documented in Ducato Owner Handbooks, those handbooks apparently provide no details of an alarm system.

John’s alarm is apparently set by “using the key”, but I don’t know which key that is. Nor do I know where in John’s Ducato the flashing blue alarm sensor/light is.

I did come across this 2017 MHFun thread

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/elddis-alarm-system.164338/

that mentions a blue alarm light in an Elddis motorhome, but, although the alarm system is said to be "factory fitted”, it’s plain that the alarm would have been installed in the Elddis factory during the conversion phase rather than in the base-vehicle manufacturer’s factory. An Autowatch alarm system is described here

https://www.trackingmycar.co.uk/product/autowatch-motorhome-alarm-system/

and refers to a "Blue flashing L.E.D deterrent”, but the Elddis/Autowatch stuff may well be totally irrelevant where John’s Ducato is concerned...

• 1 year later...

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Steve.

Thiis forum discussion ground to a halt in December 2019 and, although John Richardson has posted a few times since then on other matters, he provided no further information about the clicking noise.

I notice that John’s most recent forum logon was on 7 December 2020, so he may no longer be an active forum participant or monitor forum activity. If John does not respond to your enquiry here, you might try emailing him using the email address in his Profile.

(I was going to suggest you try asking about this on Swift Talk - but I see that this is no longer possible...)

https://www.swift-talk.co.uk/

However, what John did say was that his alarm system was "factory fit" which I take to mean the Swift factory. Since Swift had also specified the battery disconnect function from Fiat, it seems that queries of this nature properly belong back with Swift themselves, to explain how to avert/negate the problem. It seems daft to have the battery disconnect function if using it sends an alarm they have installed into panic mode, but who knows whether the alarm design/installation contemplated periodic disconnection of the starter battery.?

Archived