Where are the fuses?

I'm trying to find out why the lower market lights on my Challenger 3088 have failed and the fuses seemed a good place to start.

The handbook helpfully identifies them but fails to mention where they have hidden the box! The main vehicle fuses are in the usual Ducato position but no sign of the 'domestic' ones.

Any clues would be gratefully received.

I've never bothered tracing the wiring in my Hymer, but the following is based on overall observation and understanding.

There is an additional "Convertors" fusebox and connection point behind the trim at the bottom of the RH B-Pillar (As yours is an A-Class, the pillar will be vestigal, but the position should be correct.

This provides a connection for taking a relay for position lights to ground as and when the lights are on. AFAIK, there is no ex-factory Fiat provision of that relay, or fusing for the additional lights, there - that is left to the convertor. The convertor might have found it a convenient position to mount those additions.

However, on my 'van equipped with Schaudt electrics, the position light function is provisioned (amongst other functions) by an AD01 add-on box (positioned under the driver's seat) which uses the signal(s) to switch, and carries the appropriate fuses for the various functions.

I suspect you 'van may not have Schaudt electrics, but the principle is probably the same - the function would then be hidden away somewhere (as you have realised).

If it is equipped with Schaudt kit, a quick Google of "Schaudt AD01" will pull up images, and give you a clue as to what you might be looking for.

The Domestic fuses for my Chausson van are in the wardrobe, the van fuses ie lights indicators etc are under the bonnet, doesn't help you but it may be a starting place ? I have had lower marker lights fail in the past but not blowing fuses, the failure was due to water ingress in the lights, I just replaced the failed ones, easily obtained from E Bay.

TheFrenchConnection - 2021-08-07 1:36 PM

I'm trying to find out why the lower market lights on my Challenger 3088 have failed and the fuses seemed a good place to start.

The handbook helpfully identifies them but fails to mention where they have hidden the box! The main vehicle fuses are in the usual Ducato position but no sign of the 'domestic' ones.

Any clues would be gratefully received.

If it is the side amber marker lamps then on my 2008 Chausson Welcome 75 they were controlled by bespoke unit fitted in the drivers seat belt lower housing. It is manufactured by Scheiber and called 'Boite feux lateraux'. There are a couple of fuses in it and basically it is a relay that is operated by the Fiat 'Lights on Signal' and connects power to the lamps.

1295139962_sidemarkerbox.jpg.e7d0f645db19ad858200c73663ee1016.jpg

That is the equivalent of the Schaudt AD01 I detailed above.

If there is no obvious sign of a similar unit, and given the shared Chausson/Challenger parentage, I'd be inclined to remove the trim where the bottom of the B-pillar would be (below where the seatbelt would be if it weren't a A-class), and check there.

The "lights on" signal that will operate it will have the outlet there.

On our Ford based Challenger these lights are fed from the cable form that feeds the rear lights so I would trace the wiring from them. When we had an issue with the extra side lights there was no specific fuse -rather a connection issue.

Don't think the aftermarket connection mentioned will help. See https://www.misterg.org.uk/camper-converters-socket.html for details.

The Ford defined solution for additional marker lamps (at least for the MK7 Transit) was to take the feed directly from the rear number-plate lighting supply (subject to the maximum of an additional 40W of load).

The Fiat defined solution for additional marker lamps is for the converter to provide a separately powered feed, switched by a relay controlled by Pin 11 of the 15-way connector shown in your link (and located in the B-pillar). That is why it is common to provide a separate control box (such as the Schaudt or Scheiber units already detailed), containing the required relay and fuse(s).

There is, of course, no guarantee that the converter has adhered to Fiat standards, but given the background so far, it would be sensible to look for such an additional box.

Given that the Fiat switching is provided via the converter's socket, and a Chausson from the same stable apparently has the additional box co-located with that socket, if there is nothing obvious elsewhere I'd definitely remove the required trim and check there. (Even if it isn't there, it would give an opportunity to try and trace any wiring from pin 11).

Thanks everyone for the replies - fuse box found hiding under the floor of a storage area under a seat, but yes, under where an À-pillar would have been!

However, all fuses OK and no recognisable box (see photo).

À thought occurred while considering the next job... which is replacing the daylight running light control box which has failed and has been disconnected rather than show just one side. Are the lower markers 'engine-on' only and linked to the DRLs? The upper 'corner' lights are obviously fed from the rear lights as they still work and are controlled only from the light stalk.

Incidently the Challenger agents want over €300 for a replacement DLR box. No doubt it's a propriety item and once I çan find the time to get it off (riveted on in an inaccessible place) I hope to be able to find a replacement much cheaper - or maybe even have it repaired? Meantime we run-on dipped headlights and have passed our CT (French Mot).

TheFrenchConnection - 2021-08-08 8:45 PM

Are the lower markers 'engine-on' only and linked to the DRLs? The upper 'corner' lights are obviously fed from the rear lights as they still work and are controlled only from the light stalk.

On all 4 MH's I have owned, 3 of them being French manufactured, the lower amber side markers lights come on with the sidelight operation and nothing to do with engine running.

As for the DRL's I am sure a system from Ledcom could be fitted. https://www.ledcom.co.uk/daytime-running-lamps/fiat

• 5 weeks later...

And the resolution... https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Those-side-marker-lights/58825/#M697278

TheFrenchConnection - 2021-09-08 12:52 PM

Many thanks to those who contributed to my earlier thread searching for a fuse for the side marker lights.

Fiat does indeed run a 'lights on' feed somewhere around the RH door pillar to operate a relay for the markers. It is just finding it on an A-class that's frustrating. Challenger have put it inside a chassis member behind the RH wheelarch, carefull positioned to be exposed to as much muck and moisture as possible. Changing the wiring colours adds to the fun of the chase. As it is just a simple plug-in relay it's not surprising it gave up the struggle but the saving grace is that a Hella replacement costs just €6 once you have found the little blighter.

Thanks again to all who contributed to the hunt.

Archived