Motorhome Fun website

Mel B

vindiboy - 2010-07-01 1:38 PM

The shutters have come down on me on Motorhome fun too, I will not pay subscriptions to any site.

Likewise.....and very abruptly too.

As you say, the internet is vast and there are many more sites or forums freely available to any who bother to search. Much information now being charged for is also freely available if people spend a few minutes on Google. On MF I lost count of the number of people who would make a post enquiring as to where/how can they obtain such 'n such part. I'd hit Google and get the info within a matter of minutes. *-)

Been involved in various clubs over the years and as soon as they begin to grow and expand it's seen as a potential money making machine....and often thats when the trouble begins.

Worst example I remember was a local CB club back in the early 80's when membership went stratospheric.......over 4000 members in less than one month. Large sums of money were being generated and very quickly a committee was formed by a motley collection of power freaks all anxious to dip their hands in the till......which they did, big time.

Eventually the club folded but there was lots of equipment all paid for by members subs which simply vanished into thin air.....along with substantial sums of money never to be seen again.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
J9withdogs - 2010-07-01 7:25 PM

I joined MHFun for the rallies and camping areas at the shows. Just spent a (very) long weekend with them and all I can say is - it was FUN!!

Can't say that this forum has actually done anything for us except provide a platform for our views and opinions.

You gets what you pays for :-D

So why don't you DO something about if thats what you want?

Organise an MMM rally or get together.

If there was anyone on here to organise a meet with, Bulletguy, I would!

We have had meets in the past resulting in the 'Itchy Feet' group being formed., but they are mostly off enjoying themselves elsewhere now.

With the spates of nastiness in the past on here, many people have left this forum.

Us too have decided not to subscribe as we left motorhome facts when they asked us to subscribe, a lot like your selves have said, there are a lot of still free forums on the website all giving their advice freely so why pay one particular forum when you can do it for free, I suspect that a lot of those that were members will vote with their feet and leave and go elswhere, the problem we have we have booked to go to the northern show with them, what will happen there? will there be an atmosphere and if we do go do we ask to go in the general camping area? There are a lot of nice people in the forum and I was sad to go but dont want to pay the susscription when it is free on so many other forums yes we can pay and feel part of the group but you can feel part of the group on here as well!!!!

A site based on being a forum is worth what its worth because of the members input. An owner of such a forum has to be make a decision whether to raise funds to run it from advertising, donations etc or otherwise not to start it in the first place. I don't believe members should, once its well and truly established, have to pay to stay in 'their' community. If a subscription was set from day 1 then participating members would either accept that and join - or not.

I run a motorhome website that now has a forum and although there is a small subscription to access the information on the main site and its facilities - the forum is free and will remain so because the content within it will have been supplied by the members themselves.

J9withdogs - 2010-07-02 8:07 AM

With the spates of nastiness in the past on here, many people have left this forum.

Yes Janine they have, and it's sad as some were, in my view, good contributors.

I'm sure I've probably upset someone on this forum - but here's the rub, never with intent or malice as some have definitely been guilty of.

It's a shame one or two folk on here past & present, don't, (didn't) take the time to read what they've typed before hitting the "submit" icon.

That's ideal world stuff though and some would argue no doubt that doing so would take away the very essence of the forum.

I'll get me coat now 8-)

Martyn

I joined Motorhome fun a couple of years ago, ,How well I was browsing the internet and a random link took me there, it was free so I logged on , supplied a user name, password and E Mail address, just like you do on all other Forums, so now I am a member, I browsed and posted on there, met some Funsters at some of the Motor caravan shows I like to go to and chatted with some pleasant people, I never felt the need to Rally with them, buy any of their flags or bunting, something I don't do. If I am a member of something I don't feel the need to advertise it, I think people who fly flags for this organisation or that organisation are insecure and need to show they belong and are accepted just my opinion for what it's worth.people say I belong to this club or that club, BELONG? the property of ?? any way FUN is now a pay site and as I said earlier I don't pay to use a forum any Forum, so I am now a second class member it seems, it is not do with being tight or short of money, I could well afford to pay but I won't and reading the posts of those who have paid I am getting vibes of the Herd instinct,look at us we are loyal etc. and look at the non payers, what a shower oh well, a previous poster said how will he feel as a non payer if he rallies with them, well if you feel intimidated don't go with them , if they intimidate you over a trivial thing like this they weren't true friends anyway.I am not slagging FUN in any way, it was and probably still will be a great Forum, but that is all it is,another Motorhome internet forum.

Tricia2753 said:

the problem we have we have booked to go to the northern show with them, what will happen there? will there be an atmosphere and if we do go do we ask to go in the general camping area?

Hi Tricia, I have been a member of fun almost since it started, I have rallied with them although we don't tend to join in with anything they arrange, this hasn't caused an problems, like you get with some clubs if you do your own thing. I know some of them fairly well, I can't see you will have a problem.

You certainly won't from Jim the site owner who is an ok guy. Just go and enjoy it.

Olley

J9withdogs - 2010-07-02 8:07 AM

If there was anyone on here to organise a meet with, Bulletguy, I would!

For me personally meeting other motorhome/campervan folks off a forum board or whatever is not really something which 'floats my boat'.

Like 'vindiboy' i'm not into the flag and banner stuff. If people want to gather and show off their latest 'toy'......fine by me but that's never been my scene.

When I had my campervan I used it to tour around eastern europe and visited some pretty obscure places. I never went to countries like Spain or southern France where 'brits' like to frequent. Why would I want to meet other 'brits' when I live in this country? I avoided them! Many times I found myself in places where people spoke not one word of english, but I still managed to communicate.....and had great fun!

I've always gone solo.....but was never short of anyone to talk with. The last trip I met a German guy on a site in similar 'circs' to myself and we struck up a good friendship.

I don't know about any of the nastiness on here you mention as i've only just 'arrived', but what is stopping you from contacting one or two other like minded m/homers to meet up on a site somewhere? The only cost is your own fuel.

One thing I would mention though (from past experience), is 'meets' off a forum usually lead to a clique forming. That happened with one of the first forums I joined (not m/h related) and before long some pretty wild and dangerous accusations were being slung around.....which was when I left.

That forum self destructed and no longer exists.

trishandtez - 2010-07-02 8:43 AM

Us too have decided not to subscribe as we left motorhome facts when they asked us to subscribe, a lot like your selves have said, there are a lot of still free forums on the website all giving their advice freely so why pay one particular forum when you can do it for free, I suspect that a lot of those that were members will vote with their feet and leave and go elswhere, the problem we have we have booked to go to the northern show with them, what will happen there? will there be an atmosphere and if we do go do we ask to go in the general camping area?

Segregation springs to mind. (lol)

There will be a fenced off area for you renagades so all fully paid up 'funsters' can instantly recognise the unclean. During which time of course you will have numeorus 'visits' by 'pilgrims' of The Fun Community preaching conversion to you.

"Come, come......come over to Fun,

only 12 quid and you will be done" (lol)

Once upon a time there was an MMM forum.  To sign up, you had to buy the magazine.  It dealt with peoples' queries about motorhomes, and was generally moderated by the posters, a number of whom were MMM contributors.  The quality of the answers was very high, and the queries were generally motorhome specific.  The value of that forum, to a novice motorhomer, was immense.  Time passes, and the novice gains knowledge, and I now find myself answering more often than asking.  Sadly, some of those original contributors have now fallen by the wayside, and in many ways their knowledge has not been replaced. 

Warners, in their wisdom, decided to open the forum to all comers, and to expand it to include other interest groups their magazines cater to.  This was generous, since they dropped the requirement for evidence of readership to sign on, but may have gained them some recompense via increased readership from references to the mags on the forum.

Be that as it may, I have to say I rather preferred the narrower interest, more technical, more focused, forum that was possible when membership was restricted.  I know I am in a minority in this, and (more or less!) happily accept what it now is, but the spats Janine refers to were, at least in my memory, less frequent, and more swiftly sat upon, when the focus was tighter.  Controlling entry has its benefits, and basing that control on some common interest is also, IMO, beneficial.  Simply charging doubtless brings that control, as the nutters will presumably not pay merely to disrupt.  However, filtering membership in the way the old MMM forum was filtered seemed to me to have about the same affect, and achieved its end in a much more agreeable way.  It also did much to create the sense of community that seems to imbue motorhomers, that now seems to be getting somewhat diluted.  As evidence, all I would say, is look at the other forum sections, with the exception of chatterbox, and you will see the difference in use.

This is still, IMO, primarily a motorhome forum, with relatively underused bolt-ons.  I'd still be happy to see it regress to one you have to buy the mag to join, which is a kind of charging, just to get back to that more focused format.

thanks guys for the reasurance :-o I am definately going anyway and if they rebuff me which as you say they probably wont,it will just be us feeling guilty that we havent joined them ;-)We went to the peterborough meet and was made very welcome i must admit, we dont go to many rallies but like to go to the shows so will have to book in the general camping area or perhaps the cc club but have found them that they dont talk to you as much, might be us of course but I dont think so we are quite friendly people ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
trishandtez - 2010-07-02 8:43 AM

the problem we have we have booked to go to the northern show with them, what will happen there? will there be an atmosphere and if we do go do we ask to go in the general camping area? QUOTE]

Going by the sinister turn of events seen on there up until yesterday (I have now removed site from PC) I fully expect you to be pelted with rotten fruit and pointed and laughed at......buckets of water is a good one, especially when least expecting it, we had this for 2 days in Thailand during new year festival *-)

Guest JudgeMental
OAL Moderator - 2010-07-02 3:06 PM

Hi all, this thread has been moved to chatterbox by request. 

another worthy of your attention "forum quiet for now???? "

actually probably worthy of deletion. I just hope we are not going to end up with the daft element of the funsters on here...I am OUTRAGED! *-)

trishandtez - 2010-07-02 2:07 PM

thanks guys for the reasurance :-o I am definately going anyway and if they rebuff me which as you say they probably wont,it will just be us feeling guilty that we havent joined them ;-)

I've checked with Jim on MHFun when someone else raised this question, and he's assured me that everyone who has booked to camp with them will still be made very welcome.

Thumb screws may be applied *-) :D

Guest Tracker

It will indeed be interesting to learn the depth of knowledge and experience of the 'new' members that this forum seems to be inheriting from MHF, and their willingness to contribute when it comes to helping others?

I for one also look forward to sharing some humour and wit from them!

Bulletguy - 2010-07-02 12:55 PM

One thing I would mention though (from past experience), is 'meets' off a forum usually lead to a clique forming.

Last weekend's MHFun meet in Cheshire attracted 60 vans and over 100 people - that's one hell of a clique!

Perhaps you'd like to start putting your energies into something more positive on here now?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2010-07-02 2:06 PM

Once upon a time there was an MMM forum.  To sign up, you had to buy the magazine.  It dealt with peoples' queries about motorhomes, and was generally moderated by the posters, a number of whom were MMM contributors.  The quality of the answers was very high, and the queries were generally motorhome specific.  The value of that forum, to a novice motorhomer, was immense.  Time passes, and the novice gains knowledge, and I now find myself answering more often than asking.  Sadly, some of those original contributors have now fallen by the wayside, and in many ways their knowledge has not been replaced. 

Warners, in their wisdom, decided to open the forum to all comers, and to expand it to include other interest groups their magazines cater to.  This was generous, since they dropped the requirement for evidence of readership to sign on, but may have gained them some recompense via increased readership from references to the mags on the forum.

Be that as it may, I have to say I rather preferred the narrower interest, more technical, more focused, forum that was possible when membership was restricted.  I know I am in a minority in this, and (more or less!) happily accept what it now is, but the spats Janine refers to were, at least in my memory, less frequent, and more swiftly sat upon, when the focus was tighter.  Controlling entry has its benefits, and basing that control on some common interest is also, IMO, beneficial.  Simply charging doubtless brings that control, as the nutters will presumably not pay merely to disrupt.  However, filtering membership in the way the old MMM forum was filtered seemed to me to have about the same affect, and achieved its end in a much more agreeable way.  It also did much to create the sense of community that seems to imbue motorhomers, that now seems to be getting somewhat diluted.  As evidence, all I would say, is look at the other forum sections, with the exception of chatterbox, and you will see the difference in use.

This is still, IMO, primarily a motorhome forum, with relatively underused bolt-ons.  I'd still be happy to see it regress to one you have to buy the mag to join, which is a kind of charging, just to get back to that more focused format.

If you think Brian when John Hunt was the editor of MMM this hobby was indulged in by people who where different from the mainstream, having a motorhome was not a status symbol, more a statement of a life style which was more interested in what was over the horizon, than sitting on a camp site for a fortnight.Trouble is big business has sussed us out *-)

Well I have only met with FUN members once and a right cliquey bunch they were too. It was at a charity meet this year at Holton Lee (Poole), organised by Woody from motorhometoday with an invitation to FUN members. Who dominated everything and looking down on anyone who wasn't from THEIR Forum. Sad I know but maybe this lot were the exception and perhaps some FUN members are pleasant folk.

PS I also miss when MMM was entry by purchase Brian

Guest pelmetman
pelmetman - 2010-07-02 6:15 PM
Brian Kirby - 2010-07-02 2:06 PM

If you think Brian when John Hunt was the editor of MMM this hobby was indulged in by people who where different from the mainstream, having a motorhome was not a status symbol, more a statement of a life style which was more interested in what was over the horizon, than sitting on a camp site for a fortnight.Trouble is big business has sussed us out *-)
Sorry Brian, I mean't to say if you think back to when John hunt was the editor :-( If I have a moan about this forum its that 30 minutes is not long enough to edit.................................................... for us with half a brain cell (lol)

Guest Tracker

Unless you hope to be paid ny the word there is no need to keep boring everyone by continually reprinting long quotes in full - I think many of us are capable of putting things into context?

Thanks.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2010-07-02 7:28 PM

Unless you hope to be paid ny the word there is no need to keep boring everyone by continually reprinting long quotes in full - I think many of us are capable of putting things into context?

Thanks.

But I've only recently found the quote button >:-(

Archived