Motorhome Fun website

Mel B

J9withdogs - 2010-07-02 6:12 PM

Bulletguy - 2010-07-02 12:55 PM

One thing I would mention though (from past experience), is 'meets' off a forum usually lead to a clique forming.

Last weekend's MHFun meet in Cheshire attracted 60 vans and over 100 people - that's one hell of a clique!

Perhaps you'd like to start putting your energies into something more positive on here now?

As I said....it can LEAD to. It won't necessarily occur actually AT the event itself, but after. That was my experience from another forum which self imploded through blatant animosities caused by the clique huggers who worshipped the very ground certain ones walked upon.

It got to the point where you were either one of the 'in crowd' or a total outcast. Anyone who dared to challenge or air an opinion which the 'in crowd' found disagreeable would be instantly vilified.

There was an excellent regular poster on the forum. Never knew who the guy was but ALL his posts were extremely well written and his level of intellect was apparent for all to see (quite possibly what they were actually afraid of). However, he was NOT in the clique so each time he aired what they saw as a controversial opinion, they simply lambasted the guy until they had hounded him out.

Apologise if you feel I have 'gone on' for a bit but i'm just trying to explain to you that it has nothing at all to do with how many vans and people turn up at a meet. It's what becomes of some of those people AFTER.

Good luck in organising a meet. You could make a start by opening a new thread and see what response you get and take it from there. As i've said previously it doesn't need to cost you any more than your own fuel.....and maybe a few teabags. ;-)

Take a leaf out of your own book and begin putting your energy into something more positive! ;-)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
J9withdogs - 2010-07-02 9:05 PM

Don't you listen to the grumpy old man, Dave.

You're doing OK.

(lol)

When I grow up I want to be a grumpy old man (lol)

I don't have a problem with modest advertisements to cover the cost of the sites. I do object to heavy advertising. I don't mind paying for access to a site. I don't like Motorhome fun very much, I prefer MHF and this site. Purely a personal choice and no reflection on the members.

I'm with Brian. I prefer to see a narrowing of topics (this site is already pretty narrow) rather than have some of the highly opinionated continually restate their case on a wide range of topics rather than accept another person might be right.

I also think this site has got the balance right on advertising.

Bulletguy - 2010-07-02 9:06 PM

Take a leaf out of your own book and begin putting your energy into something more positive! ;-)

Hey, I got all the weekends away that I need thank you very much!

Just having a bit of a 'google' - you are a member of a lot of forums, Bulletguy.

Hi trishandtez

We're in the same boat as you, we're going to the Northern show with the Funsters and are NOT members now, so if you see us there (Thursday to Sunday) pop over and say hi - you won't be able to miss us with our 2 nutty mutts plus we'll be trying out our new free standing awning ... should be entertaining for everyone to watch! :D

Guest pelmetman
J9withdogs - 2010-07-02 9:28 PM

pelmetman - 2010-07-02 9:09 PM

J9withdogs - 2010-07-02 9:05 PM

Don't you listen to the grumpy old man, Dave.

You're doing OK.

(lol)

When I grow up I want to be a grumpy old man (lol)

Why on earth do you want to grow up??? :D :D

(lol) (lol)

Well I am only 52 and when I left school they said I should have a ambition

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Mind you just watched "Grumpy Old Men" on the telly and I think I nearly qualify :-D

Mel don't think for one minute you won't be welcome I am really looking forward to meeting up with you again.

Any one who has been on a fun meet will know you are made welcome as Janine has been saying.

Remember Gipsy Tom well youhave got another one on here now.

Martin I am sure you would not upset anyone, you are one of the good guys.

Amazing how quiet Chaterbox has been then all of a sudden there is a lotof extra traffic on here.

J9withdogs - 2010-07-02 9:27 PM

Just having a bit of a 'google' - you are a member of a lot of forums, Bulletguy.

Could have saved you the time and bother if only you'd asked. It's hardly Classified Top Secret info! (lol)

Depends on what you call 'a lot'.

Do tell how many your super snooping turned up? (lol) (lol)

Guest Tracker
soarer - 2010-07-02 9:37 PM

like i said you will suss bullet guy for what he is

just wait and see *-)

I think most of us have already sussed you both!

soarer - 2010-07-02 9:37 PM

like i said you will suss bullet guy for what he is

just wait and see *-)

Tracker - 2010-07-03 1:34 PM

I think most of us have already sussed you both!

Some 'sussing' goin' on here......*-)

Only a couple of days ago you openly categorised yourself.

Tracker - 2010-07-01 5:30 PM

There are of course the usual bunch of forum psychos, comedians, and nutters - of which I are probably one!

So what are you........a Psycho, Comedian or a Nutter?

(lol) (lol)

Guest Tracker
Bulletguy - 2010-07-03 3:56 PM

Tracker - 2010-07-03 3:21 PM

All of the above - depending on the phase of the moon!

Which are you?

I thought you'd already 'sussed' me? (lol)

I already have my own views which I will diplomatically keep to myself!

I just wondered how you see yourself?

I wish I knew what was happening on MF site!!!

I've just been on there and upon wading through the Subscriptions post it appears to be that non-subscribers should still be able to participate in some stuff, but no other bits, we're supposed to be able to read posts, classifieds etc, but after a while it stopped me looking, then, when I signed in (which did work!), it wouldn't let me look at the stuff that Jim said we can look at ....very confusing!!!! Upon clicking on the link to 'subscribe' you are given very little information to know WHY you should actually subscribe.

Does ANYONE know what the actual situation is as to what you can and cannot do as non-payers???????? Some clarification is desperately needed.

As for some of the comments from paid-up members about those who have not paid (for whatever reason), they're not helping the cause!

I'm off to play cards ... currently at Hornsea behind the boathouse parked up for the night, been a stonking day, managed to get the canoes out for a paddle round at Withernsea and off up to Skirlington market tomorrow morning (brilliant car boot!), then another paddle around in the afternoon hopefully.

Janine - ref Skipsea - will be driving through it tomorrow on the way to Skirlington ... hopefully I won't fall into the sea!!! (lol)

Mel B - 2010-07-03 9:25 PM

I wish I knew what was happening on MF site!!!

I've just been on there and upon wading through the Subscriptions post it appears to be that non-subscribers should still be able to participate in some stuff, but no other bits, we're supposed to be able to read posts, classifieds etc, but after a while it stopped me looking, then, when I signed in (which did work!), it wouldn't let me look at the stuff that Jim said we can look at ....very confusing!!!! Upon clicking on the link to 'subscribe' you are given very little information to know WHY you should actually subscribe.

Does ANYONE know what the actual situation is as to what you can and cannot do as non-payers???????? Some clarification is desperately needed.

As for some of the comments from paid-up members about those who have not paid (for whatever reason), they're not helping the cause!

Just sign back in using a pseudonym.

Apparently anyone can still access the site for free on a 'limited period' which is a bit of a joke when others have been quick to shell out £12 for what others are getting for free. *-)

Once your 'free period' has elapsed, re-sign back on again as 'Jon Doe' or whatever.

I imagine comments from paid up members won't be too favourable once the penny has dropped and they realise whats going on.

olley - 2010-07-02 11:47 AM

Tricia2753 said:

the problem we have we have booked to go to the northern show with them, what will happen there? will there be an atmosphere and if we do go do we ask to go in the general camping area?

Hi Tricia, I have been a member of fun almost since it started, I have rallied with them although we don't tend to join in with anything they arrange, this hasn't caused an problems, like you get with some clubs if you do your own thing. I know some of them fairly well, I can't see you will have a problem.

You certainly won't from Jim the site owner who is an ok guy. Just go and enjoy it.

Olley

Thanks olley, was wondering what to do as are looking forward to the show :-)

Mel B - 2010-07-02 10:15 PM

Hi trishandtez

We're in the same boat as you, we're going to the Northern show with the Funsters and are NOT members now, so if you see us there (Thursday to Sunday) pop over and say hi - you won't be able to miss us with our 2 nutty mutts plus we'll be trying out our new free standing awning ... should be entertaining for everyone to watch! :D

Thanks mel. we have a freestanding awning which we dont use very much as it tends to blow down in the wind and its partilcularly windy here today, lots of tents up sticks and leaving thank goodness we dont have one up at the moment and we took in our sunshade last night thankfully because as suer as eggs is eggs it would have blown over our van last night!!!! But we can at least help with yours?????

What dogs do you have just so I know you, we have a small yorkie which can be unsociable to other dogs unless yours are big ones???

;-) ;-) look forward to seeing you ;-)

The one thing I just can't get my head around is this desire to discuss one forum on several others. So Motorhomefun has decided to charge for use, so what? Its your choice as an individual to subscribe and continue or not subscribe and therefore not continue. Why do we continually seem to need to pour ridicule and scorn on those sites that charge? Its surely a personal choice as to whether you subscribe or not. I choose not to pay for SKY TV and instead use Freesat and Freeview, Do I go onto satellite TV forums and deride SKY? Certainly not! For one thing I don't have the spare time in my life to waste pointing my finger at others.

D.

Archived