X250 Turbo leak

tof

I have an oil drip from a turbo pipe on my 2008 x250 2.3. This happened shortly after a service. The garage investigated and said it was a leaky oil seal inside the turbo (on the bearing) and that I would need a new turbo!

The van has done 46k miles. Has anyone else had a turbo go at this age and mileage and if so how much to replace a turbo?

Help please

Guest peter

If the bearing was going in your turbo, it would be getting noisy and would be putting a fair bit of smoke out the exhaust. It sounds like the oil pipe union on the turbo needs tightening a bit. I think the garage is using a bit of kidology, as the seals are not external at all. So all oil leaking from the seals would be burned off and produce smoke in the exhaust.

Whatever you do, do not travel far with the leak, as your turbo could seize up. Then you would need a new one. (expensive) It would be interesting to know how the leak started. (the dealer didn't loosen the pipe of course)

How long has this leak been happening?.

Find the real cause of the leak and fix it.

Thanks guys

The leak happened straight after the service. I am getting a second opinion from a guy I know in the local Fiat Garage and so far he has said what Peter says.

Thanks also for info on prices.

I'll keep you posted.

Tof

Guest peter
That wouldn't cause a leak at the Turbo as it's in the high pressure oil line. If it was grossly overfilled it would probably be blown out of the crankshaft oil seals.

Sorry Peter,

Over filling causes the cat' to get blocked plus oil build up in the turbo and on into the Intercooler, .This can often be mistaken for a blown Turbo, esp when you find lots of oil in the intercooler. The EGR plays it's part here.This is one reason why the crankshaft oil seals don't go first as the oil has somewhere to go. they will later on. Yes check the union on the HP oil line to turbo, but that should not have been touched.

Always worth checking oil level first esp' at that low mileage.

Regards,

Brendan

Guest peter

How does the excess oil get into the Cat' and EGR system?.

The only way that can happen is if the piston rings are very worn or it's getting in to the cylinders via the engine breather system.

In which case the cloud of smoke coming out of the exhaust would be horrendous, which I think would be noticed by all and sundry.

Either way it doesn't address the O/Ps problem of a leak at the turbo does it? As any oil getting to the turbine would be on the exhaust side and would be burned off, as there is nowhere for it to leak.

My money is on the oil feed pipe to the turbo bearings.

Afraid not always clouds of smoke, Read your operations manual, sometimes a sticker on the engine or oil cap may tell you not to overfill with oil or you may damage the cat' This is also applicable to a new engine.

Regards,

Brendan

Guest peter
onecal vw - 2011-03-21 10:43 PM

Afraid not always clouds of smoke, Read your operations manual, sometimes a sticker on the engine or oil cap may tell you not to overfill with oil or you may damage the cat' This is also applicable to a new engine.

Regards,

Brendan

Never mind the Cat'. It's the Turbo the O/P is concerned about, and you said the oil leak could be because the engine sump could have been overfilled. Please explain.

Guest peter
thebishbus - 2011-03-21 11:28 PM

Hi. The warning not to overfill a diesel with engine oil, is because it may be splashed up into the cylinders. If this happens the engine starts to burn its own sump oil, it then runs uncontrollably at max revs untill the oil level drops. 8-)

Brian B

That is very true Brian. It can be fatal on a Turbo engine, because as the engine revs up, so the turbo kicks in. Increasing rpm even more and so on. Until the engine self destructs if you are unlucky. It must be frightening to witness.

Guest Peter James
thebishbus - 2011-03-21 11:28 PM

Hi. The warning not to overfill a diesel with engine oil, is because it may be splashed up into the cylinders. If this happens the engine starts to burn its own sump oil, it then runs uncontrollably at max revs untill the oil level drops. 8-)

Brian B

How could that amount of engine oil get past the piston rings and into the cylinders?

Hi. I presume it is because there is so much extra oil being splashed around inside the cylinders and crankcase, the pistons increasing the pressure and forceing the oil through the crankcase venting system. I have seen it happen, the engine revs it's nuts off producing clouds and clouds of white smoke,untill the oil is gone, or the engine seized up. 8-)

Brian B

There you go,good link, so you see from overfilling with oil it can get into the intake side and blow seals and sometimes but seldom cause an overrun,Oil build up on the intake pipe can sometimes drip down the outside of the turbo and down the outside of the bottom oil return from the turbo.

Now a loose union on this connection can, as put by previous posts can also leak but without actually seeing the leak it's impossible to say, Chris you need to get back to us to see how you got on. The Turbo unions should not have been touched on service unless you requested it,

Regards,

Brendan

Archived