Mercedes 2.2

hymer1942

Hi Barrie,

Our 2004 AT is based on the 313CDi chassis uprated to 3,800kg (from 3,500kg) and is fantastic. It has plenty of power to cruise at 60 - 65mph and I only very occasionally have to change down for a hill when I get it wrong and let the speed fall.

We climbed Sutton Bank (1 in 4) in N. Yorkshire last year without any problems in spite of someone in a car in front stalling and stopping all the traffic :$ This is a main A road which bans Caravans and HGV's!

As for maintenance, I change the oil, filter and fuel filter every year even though we cover less than 3,000 miles a year. My main advice would be to use it regularly and NOT to lay it up for the winter.

Any other questions then just ask.

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental
spending the kind of money you are contemplating it would be foolish not to test drive the thing.......saying that I bought latest van blind and it is excellent :D

We have an HRZ panel van with the 2.2 engine, having come to it via a Hymer with a 2.9 . The smaller one is fantastic, and very economical for the power it produces. We have a 313, which is 129 bhp, and it monotonously does 29 to the gallon, even when thrashed down the motorway. The 316 is 157 bhp (lastest version 163) has more than enough power fr all occasions, but it can be mapped to 190 bhp if you're desperate!

In my opinion, it's great strength is that it is chain driven (no cambelt to change), and vastly less fuel hungry than the 3.0 litre V6 (20 mpg unless you have featherlight feet or a really heavy van that needs the torque).

The only downside I have found is that it does tend to use oil steadily - not masses, but probably a litre between services. Don't overfill the oil, it only burns it off.

I think it's a great engine - the next van will be powered by the same.

Cheers

Smick

Thanks to all, but one cant test drive fully loaded etc, so will have to take advice from people who have the vans. And to be fair Judge you had a pretty good idea of what you were buying, [ glad its going well ]

Regards Barrie

Hi Hymer

I have the Merc 315 2.2L and I love it, I bought it last year with 5k on the clock it now has 10k and it just gets better and better.

I have a 7.4m 3.8t van and its no problem

no cambelt to worry about , i wouldn't change it

Cheers

Dawki

Hymer

I have a 515 2.2ltr Sprinter and am delighted with it. The van is 5 ton, twin rear wheels and it really is an excellent vehicle to drive and own. The engine is powerful, pulls well in all gears and will cruise at 60mph at 2100RPM in sixth gear. I average 23 MPG.

Very impressed with the build quality. Controls move with precision, feel robust and the electrics are properly routed in marked contrast to my last Fiat 2.8JTD. Whilst the engine is not (IMHO) as refined or as smooth as the Fiat, it feels much more responsive and seems unbursteable. Time will tell but the chain cam drive is reassuring.

Have done 13k miles, nothing has gone wrong or dropped off. No oil used, changed at 8k, and genuine MB filters are much cheaper than Fiat. I have been very suprised at how reasonable MB parts prices, wipers belts etc are but 12 litres of low ash oil is not cheap!

MB servicing is cheaper than Fiat, £180 and £240 plus VAT for minor/major maintenance services.

To sum up the 2.2ltr is an excellent engine, well matched to the transmission and final drive and I have enjoyed every mile driving her.

From my own experience over 18 months and 10000 miles would agree with all the positive comments here and would strongly advise following Smick's comments about not topping up oil to full level.

It seems that most folks change their oil and filter every twelve months despite the requirement being 30,000k (I think). Although I follow the 12 mth routine myself for well known reasons does anyone with the MB maintenance Assist option rely on that diagnostic to decide on when to change the oil?

V

Hi, I service and have driven both the 2.2 and the fab 3.0 V6 nothing like the 3.0 V6. The manual gearbox is the best on fuel economy and it will take off in first so smooth, as for reversing up a hill it will do it ticking over.No juddering here. Both are lovely base units and are very well suited to any Motorhome conversion i.e. I.H. Hymer to name a few . You will not to far wrong, but yes always TEST drive first. The new twin wheel 3.0 V6 does not even need air suspension assist no matter what conversion it's built on. Downside "maybe" over 3.5 T and now will have speed limiter and Tachograph fitted(not needed yet for Motorhomes).Never overfill or drive with too much oil as it will damage the Cat'. Rather expensive piece of exhaust to be replacing.

Hopes this helps, best of luck with your new one.

Regards,

Brendan

Archived