Help with tyres

fjmike

I am after some new tyres for my Pilote and had decided to fit the Continental Vanco Campers. That was until today when I find that there doesn't seem to be any in the country (235/65/16). Now I would bite the bullet and get Michelin agilas Camping but they only go up to 225 in width, would I notice the difference?. Also there doesn't seem to be too many of these in the country either. Best laid plans of mice and motorhomers

:-(

Hi Mike,

I get regular emails from MyTyres.co.uk and they list the size you require. Here's a Link to the item. This price is delivered only so you'll have to arrange fitting or look at one of their partners.

May be worth dropping them a line to enquire about stock and delivery.

HTH,

Keith.

It might be stating the obvious but you have a world of choice. There is no obligation to stick to what manufacturers craftily market as 'camping car' tyres. I think they simply realise that in branding them as such results in people happily paying through the nose for them.

As long as the tyres you fit have a suitable speed and load rating you can fit what you like.

I personally have only ever fitted winter / mud and snow rated tyres to my motorhomes for the past few years and have benefited hugely. Getting stuck on wet grass just doesn't happen and driving in snow is much, much safer. I also played around with the air pocket and considerably increased the diameter of my last set (fitted to an X250 chassis). Running them at 55-60psi significantly improved the formerly somewhat choppy ride; they also made my speedo read correctly (it was about 10% out with standard tyres).

Oh, and that set was about half the price of 'sucker' branded tyres.

crinklystarfish - 2011-06-29 9:37 AM

It might be stating the obvious but you have a world of choice. There is no obligation to stick to what manufacturers craftily market as 'camping car' tyres. I think they simply realise that in branding them as such results in people happily paying through the nose for them.

As long as the tyres you fit have a suitable speed and load rating you can fit what you like.

I personally have only ever fitted winter / mud and snow rated tyres to my motorhomes for the past few years and have benefited hugely. Getting stuck on wet grass just doesn't happen and driving in snow is much, much safer. I also played around with the air pocket and considerably increased the diameter of my last set (fitted to an X250 chassis). Running them at 55-60psi significantly improved the formerly somewhat choppy ride; they also made my speedo read correctly (it was about 10% out with standard tyres).

Perhaps you could advise which tyres are currently available to 235/65 R16C 115 specification and M+S marked (I presume you have not been fitting 'genuine' winter tyres designed specifically for very cold-weather conditions)?I don't understand what your "I also played around with the air pocket and considerably increased the diameter of my last set (fitted to an X250 chassis) statement means.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-06-29 10:07 AM
crinklystarfish - 2011-06-29 9:37 AM

Perhaps you could advise which tyres are currently available to 235/65 R16C 115 specification and M+S marked (I presume you have not been fitting 'genuine' winter tyres designed specifically for very cold-weather conditions)?I don't understand what your "I also played around with the air pocket and considerably increased the diameter of my last set (fitted to an X250 chassis) statement means.
Forget my last-paragraph question - I've looked back at some of your earlier postings and realised that you've changed from the base-vehicle manufacturer's original tyre specification and fitted tyres with a greater cross-sectional area. http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20149&posts=10

I'm not on my home PC at the moment and only have limited internet access but I'd be very surprised if suitable tyres couldn't be found at http://www.camskill.co.uk/ 

Their categories are a bit loose and you will often find the same tyres whether you go in via the winter / van / 4x4 or other menus. They give the full spec for each tyre they sell. I haven't yet fitted dedicated 'winter' compound tyres but the last two sets I've used were fully M&S stamped and had pretty aggressive tread.

I'm not averse to changing cross sectional area and also profile. I actually increased both the last time I changed (having checked I had clearance beforehand).

If the exact sizes can't be found at Camskill I'd guess that by being a little flexible with cross section and profile suitable replacements could be found. Of course, there are plenty other internet based providers out there.

Thanks everyone for your input. I gave the people in Keiths link a ring and got through to somebody whose english wasn't that good but they assured me that the Conti vanco campers were in stock, so proceeded to place the order only to be cut off just after giving my credit card details. Rang back only for the phone to ring once then the line went dead, tried this several times then gave up. Rang my credit card company to see if the transaction had gone through, they said no transactions that day. eventually got back in touch with the tyre company only to be told that they didn't have any stock Grrrr. Then tried http://www.f1autocentres.co.uk/ as they had the vanco camper listed so placed an order. as expected they didn't have any stock either but they did help me choose a suitable tyre (Michelin aguilis) which they fitted this morning. Was impressed with the customer care and the service I received and would recommend them to others (price was really good too)

Archived