How leaval must a gas fridge be when running on gas?

plumbersvan

Derek Uzzell - 2012-05-03 4:44 PM
Dr Dave - 2012-05-03 4:32 PM ... I hope that you are joking 'are you'?
I doubt it! Roaming around caravan forums indicates that it's far from unknown for people to run a fridge on gas when travelling, particularly in warm weather with older fridges where cooling via 12V is considered to be less efficient than via gas. Evidently, leaving the fridge running on gas during a Channel ferry crossing also happens.

At least when the caravan goes up the inferno is behind you and probably quite spectacular much better than if you are quietly sat in the motorhome wondering what that bang was and why its so hot!!!!!!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Dislok on my steering wheel. In big letters on it it says GAS, TURN FRIDGE OVER, LEVELING BLOCKS, CORNER STEADIES, MAINS LEAD. TV ARIAL. Not that I forget any of these you understand but a prompt when taking the Dislok off is no bad thing. Our new motorhome does sound a warning if you start the engine with the mains lead in and does sap the step in when the engine is started. The trick is to remember it has done this so you,don't step out and fall over! Not that this has ever happened to me you understand.

Colin Leake - 2012-05-03 5:01 PM I have a Dislok on my steering wheel. In big letters on it it says GAS, TURN FRIDGE OVER, LEVELING BLOCKS, CORNER STEADIES, MAINS LEAD. TV ARIAL. Not that I forget any of these you understand but a prompt when taking the Dislok off is no bad thing. Our new motorhome does sound a warning if you start the engine with the mains lead in and does sap the step in when the engine is started. The trick is to remember it has done this so you,don't step out and fall over! Not that this has ever happened to me you understand.

Hope the sprained ankle is getting better :-)

:-S Perhaps my fridge was off then? *-)

On the subject of old fridges,ive been wondering if the jet can be made to give more gas to the burner by waggeling a needle in the jut to make the opening just a bit larger??

Unfortunatly the spell checker hasnt been seen for months??I think a windows update caneceled it?

My spelling is faultless *-) But spoilt by the presance or past spell checkers :-D

I may leave hear tommorow 8-) But its so comfortable and the skys blue *-) At last

There is an aire thats said to have 220v no very far away?And i could do with a post or tree to tie a washing line soon *-) since its stopped raining

plumbersvan - 2012-05-03 6:15 PM:-S Perhaps my fridge was off then? *-) On the subject of old fridges,ive been wondering if the jet can be made to give more gas to the burner by waggeling a needle in the jut to make the opening just a bit larger??Unfortunatly the spell checker hasnt been seen for months??I think a windows update caneceled it?My spelling is faultless *-) But spoilt by the presance or past spell checkers :-D I may leave hear tommorow 8-) But its so comfortable and the skys blue *-) At lastThere is an aire thats said to have 220v no very far away?And i could do with a post or tree to tie a washing line soon *-) since its stopped raining
Waggling a needle to make the jet hole larger so more gas comes out! how much do you want? enough to illuminate the interior of the van perhaps or just so the interior is warmer? This must be a windup as the spelling is just too wrong and the subject is too dangerous if you know what i mean.

Guest Tracker

Why not take the jet out of the fridge burner completely - and use it as a flame thrower, having made sure your fire and explosion insurance is up to date.

Just in case you really are considering buggering about with the jet - DON'T - go and buy a new jet and have a competent gas fitter install it and clean up and service the fridge if you think the flame is too low and the other gas appliances are working OK.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Just heard a newsflash, apparently a British registered van parked on an aire spontaneously combusted, according to the report the only thing that remained was the number plate, a needle, and some frozen sausages.

Yes i agree :-D But nowhere in France sells jets nor any other spares :-( Only UK and id like one in at least a moth or two for this year not next 8-)

When i passed the rounderbout missing the turn for the central parking,i was thinking about the jet and had this great idea 8-) Which reading your advice is NOT a solution *-)

I did have some doubt :'( But remained hopeful

And yes in January when i found a new burner i lite it without a jet 8-) And sat there with a fire extiguser for another half an hour :-S It was a shock.the flame was over a foot high and wider than the chimney 8-)

Then i found the jet which is for a smaller fridge,so its only logical to progress from no jet Large flame 8-) Small jet small flame *-) Pin waggeled correct ish flame *-)

At the moment im in another camper :-D Mine is in a garden awaiting my return in a month or two :'( There for i want to find a solution to my fridge as soon as i can :'( B-)

I will be careful.i dont want to find frozen sausages and a destroyed van I wont be doing anything as i said just yet

Im in planning stage *-)

plumbersvan - 2012-05-03 6:15 PM

:-S Perhaps my fridge was off then? *-)

On the subject of old fridges,ive been wondering if the jet can be made to give more gas to the burner by waggeling a needle in the jut to make the opening just a bit larger??

Unfortunatly the spell checker hasnt been seen for months??I think a windows update caneceled it?

My spelling is faultless *-) But spoilt by the presance or past spell checkers :-D

I may leave hear tommorow 8-) But its so comfortable and the skys blue *-) At last

There is an aire thats said to have 220v no very far away?And i could do with a post or tree to tie a washing line soon *-) since its stopped raining

As said earlier, get a new jet and get a gas man to fit it. If not, cary on with your needle but expect not to wake up some time in the near future.

plumbersvan - 2012-05-03 8:56 PM

Yes i agree :-D But nowhere in France sells jets nor any other spares :-( Only UK and id like one in at least a moth or two for this year not next 8-)

When i passed the rounderbout missing the turn for the central parking,i was thinking about the jet and had this great idea 8-) Which reading your advice is NOT a solution *-)

I did have some doubt :'( But remained hopeful

And yes in January when i found a new burner i lite it without a jet 8-) And sat there with a fire extiguser for another half an hour :-S It was a shock.the flame was over a foot high and wider than the chimney 8-)

Then i found the jet which is for a smaller fridge,so its only logical to progress from no jet Large flame 8-) Small jet small flame *-) Pin waggeled correct ish flame *-)

At the moment im in another camper :-D Mine is in a garden awaiting my return in a month or two :'( There for i want to find a solution to my fridge as soon as i can :'( B-)

I will be careful.i dont want to find frozen sausages and a destroyed van I wont be doing anything as i said just yet

Im in planning stage *-)

As replacement of an Electrolux/Dometic refrigerator's gas-jet is standard practice when the appliance is serviced, such jets must be available in France. Dometic's website lists the following French service centres:

http://www.dometic.com/fr/Europe/France/Customer-Center/Dealer-Locator/?bsn=RV&sct=Service&rgn=France&prd=Refrigerators&populate=1

It would remain to be seen whether any of these centres would sell you a suitable jet for your fridge without insisting on fitting the jet themselves - that would be for you to explore.

Expert advice is that you never clean a refrigerator's gas-jet as its size is critical, let alone attempt to enlarge its diameter.

When you get home I strongly suggest that you invest in John Wickersham's book "The Motorcaravan Manual", as this will provide you with the basic motorhome technical background that you currently lack.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-05-03 3:18 PM
Tracker - 2012-05-03 3:00 PM "Leaval should be spelt level".

That's a bit unfair Derek as I've never yet seen Rich make a spelling or grammatical error. Or post deliberately inflammatory remarks, or lie about being serious when he was joking, or joking when he was serious. Neither have I ever seen him simply regurgitate facts posted from people who actually know what they are on about, or plagiarise, or be obsequious. Furthermore I've never seen him charge off on an ego trip, or suffer delusions of grandeur, and I don't think he's ever posted anything that wasn't absolutely rock-solid advice. Also, I've definitely never known him have to come back with a different username following moderator intervention.

Leave the poor chap alone - he was only trying to help.

Be gentle Rich, I'm only having a laugh, or being serious, or whatever...

Obviously there is a fair amount of "humour" and a modicum of "banter" here and I am fairly new to all this but isn't it Illegal to drive on the road with the gas bottle turned on. Whether the fridge or heating is on or not, should the vehicle be involved in any sort of accident the ruptured gas pipe would have catastrophic consequences. (not spell checked)

Guest Tracker
crinklystarfish - 2012-05-04 10:30 AM

I've never yet seen Rich make a spelling or grammatical error. Or post deliberately inflammatory remarks, or lie about being serious when he was joking, or joking when he was serious. Neither have I ever seen him simply regurgitate facts posted from people who actually know what they are on about, or plagiarise, or be obsequious. Furthermore I've never seen him charge off on an ego trip, or suffer delusions of grandeur, and I don't think he's ever posted anything that wasn't absolutely rock-solid advice. Also, I've definitely never known him have to come back with a different username following moderator intervention.Leave the poor chap alone - he was only trying to help.Be gentle Rich, I'm only having a laugh, or being serious, or whatever..

Oh you naughty naughty crinkly - thank you ever so much for defending me from that well known stirrer Derek - what would I do without you to support me in my hour of need!

I have never claimed to be perfect or super intelligent as to do so would be most unfair on everyone else so may I reciprocate the same compliments that you have so generously bestowed on me!

I hope that your well known benevolent and kindly approach to those less fortunate than yourself will soon begin!

mark hinde - 2012-05-04 12:32 PM

Obviously there is a fair amount of "humour" and a modicum of "banter" here and I am fairly new to all this but isn't it Illegal to drive on the road with the gas bottle turned on. Whether the fridge or heating is on or not, should the vehicle be involved in any sort of accident the ruptured gas pipe would have catastrophic consequences. (not spell checked)

Not aware of any "legal" requirement to turn gas off. If there was, how would gas powered vehicles operate as the cylinder still has a gas pipe connection?

I would think that with gas powered vehicles there is a auto shut of valve in case of an accident as there is

In many cars.

It's best to Always turn of domestic gas when on the move,We have all no dought forgot at times but it's not good practice if you value life and your motorhome.

In the event that you had an accident in which an explosion or major fire resulted from travelling with the gas on, it would be interesting to know how that would be viewed by the vehicles' insurers.

:-|

malc d - 2012-05-04 2:18 PM

In the event that you had an accident in which an explosion or major fire resulted from travelling with the gas on, it would be interesting to know how that would be viewed by the vehicles' insurers.

:-|

It would be very interesting as if it appears its not a legal requirement and I have not seen it as a requirement in my policy then what would be their attitude, just contrive a reason for not paying out?

spospe - 2012-05-03 3:40 PMTo answer the question, a Dometic 'tilt tolerant' fridge will work at an angle of about 6 degrees, or if you like, on a slope of 1 in 9.5.Personally, I would not like to try and live in a van sloping at 1 in 9.5, so my rule of thumb is, if the van feels level enough to live in, the fridge will work.

Spospe, thanks for a sensible answer, as it happens I have a Dometic fridge, I've never had a problem with it working a slight incline, and like you say if the van was on a 9.5 to 1 slope it would be very uncomfortable, sleeping would be weird assuming you could get into the bed in the first place !!!

Derek Uzzell - 2012-05-04 10:15 AMI strongly suggest that you invest in John Wickersham's book "The Motorcaravan Manual", as this will provide you with the basic motorhome technical background that you currently lack.

Derek, you're too kind, the OP is clearly having a laugh, if not then like some have said above I hope to God I never park with ten miles of him / her lol.

Losos - 2012-05-04 3:58 PMDerek, you're too kind, the OP is clearly having a laugh

...then the OP is most definitely having regular laughs as ALL of his/her posts assume the same tone. Additionally, and also for amusement no doubt, every other line of the post is 'off topic' (usually about a car park or a baker's or a non working sat nav) and punctuated beautifully with as many smilies as can be fitted in to the available space.I love the posts, they amuse me. The spelling and grammar, they amaze me but there you go. Alf/Fiona/Afiona - Keep 'em coming but I can't take you seriously anymore after this one.Rgds,

How did you get my email address?Its not shown

As for my profile im 27 unemplyed and have no prospect of working in the near of distant future,would like to see more of Europe and the USA and find the camping car route ideal starting Hear in Europe

But summer is to hot and to crowded so will spend June to September in the garden hear in France,Returning to post hear in October with a new laptop and spell checker, :-|

Ill add that im not useing my campingvan but one belonging to a family member.I may have to give it back.Im not sure i will find my camper so well suited for my continued travells.With luck and goodwill at the moment i hope my camper will remain where it is and continue with this camper.

I do wish i hadnt bought a screw driver as i have scratched the control panel and caused a few marks

What is a "Bedfor blitz"?

Archived