Honda Suitcase Generator

Bolly1965

Been thinking about getting an old Honda EX650 suitcase generator.

I believe they are still one of the quietest generators and very reliable - and can be had for about £250

I would only have use for it when not on electric hook ups, such as at classic car rallies etc.

What is the general opinion about the use of gennies?

I would have a second battery fitted but as both the vehicle and leisure batteries have been relocated to the engine bay, I think fitting a second leisure battery would be a job and a half and cost way more than the generator.

I am considerate and would not use it early in the morning or late at night - unless I was parked next to a southern anit-smoking type of course.... ;-)

Couldn't believe just how appallingly noisy, intrusive and anti-social those cheapo generators are. They are utterly awful.

Park up next to me and run one of those constantly for an hour or two and we'll quickly be having a very frank exchange of views; I don't care what time of day it is that you decide to ruin our peace by running the damn thing.

BUT to be fair I also couldn't believe how (relatively) quiet the new Honda suitcase (eg i10 or i20) ones are.

I saw one being used when wildcamping recently and was VERY impressed.

I was EVEN MORE impressed with the fact that the guy had made a neat little plywood cowl with sound deadening foam in it, to fit over the gennie (with holes for ventilation)....which really did cut the noise down to merely a small "purr".

That additional, very effective, sound-deadening cowl WAS decent gennie-use consideration for others I thought.

Can I suggest that it may be worth checking what the usual/normal output of whichever gennie you choose is, and try to match it to exceed the peak consumption of whatever on-board mains electric kit you're planning to drive from the gennie.

For example the Honda "i10" isn't actually a max 1kw output from memory, but 900 watts I think....and you probably don't want to be driving it at near it's max capacity for hours at a time.

So if you really must have one of these infernal things, for the sake of the rest of us, please please can you get one of the new Honda type ones, and maybe knock up a sound-deadening cowl for it too.....

Bolly'..I've never used a gennie,other than for work when on site but I would assume(hazard a guess!) that the "old" X650 model you mention,would be quite a bit noisier than the current EU10i & EU20i.... :-S

..and I think the asking price,probably reflects this...

(..I'd also be a little careful about buyin' a second hand gennie off the likes of ebay etc....coz that's where a good many nicked ones end up...)

The EX650 has a noise level of 54dB.  The newer EU10i has a quoted 52dB noise level.  If you look at the table below you can see the relationship of various noise sources to assess how noisy these generators are:

• Aircraft at take-off (180)
  • Fireworks (140)
  • Snowmobile (120)
  • Chain saw (110)
  • Amplified music (110)
  • Lawn mower (90)
  • Noisy office (90)
  • Vacuum cleaner (80)
  • City traffic (80)
  • Normal conversation (60)
  • Refrigerator humming (40)
  • Whisper (20)
  • Leaves rustling (10)
  • Calm breathing (10)

My generator is a Kipor 3Kva and it's quoted noise level is 62-66dB and is very quiet so the one you are looking at would 'purr' in comparison.  

The one thing to consider is the output you need.  You really need a genny that has an output of approximately 25% more than you require for peak consumption otherwise it will be 'hunting' which is an irritating rev rise/rev drop sequence which will get others nearby going mad ....and probably you as well.

Well, I used to have a Honda 650 generator and it was enormously reliable - and enormously heavy and noisy in comparison to the newer inverter models. Having said that, nobody ever complained to us about it, maybe because we always did our best to make sure the noise wasn't intrusive to anyone else.

On a large and underpopulated CL/CS, for example, with a long lead and the gennie hidden in some bushes, it was barely audible. Wouldn't want to risk using one in close confines of a well-populated club or commercial site though.

One unexpected delight of the 650 was the fact that I could boast to motorcycling chums that I had a Honda 650. Surprisingly, many of them didn't realise that the machine I was boasting about had no wheels, let alone two.

Have you looked at the clarke range, I have one and there very similar looking to the honda but without the additional £200 worth of "Honda" badge. There about £250 1kw pure sinewave jobbie. Can be sourced from various places ie machine mart. Same as the one you are looking at but new so 12 mth warranty ;-)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-1kw-inverter-generator-ig1000

RogerC - 2012-05-30 9:55 AMThe EX650 has a noise level of 54dB.  The newer EU10i has a quoted 52dB noise level.  If you look at the table below you can see the relationship of various noise sources to assess how noisy these generators are:

• Fireworks (140)
  • Snowmobile (120)
  • Chain saw (110)
  • Amplified music (110)
  • Lawn mower (90)
  • Noisy office (90)
  • Vacuum cleaner (80)
  • City traffic (80)
  • Whisper (20)
  • Leaves rustling (10)
  • Calm breathing (10)

My generator is a Kipor 3Kva and it's quoted noise level is 62-66dB and is very quiet so the one you are looking at would 'purr' in comparison.  

The one thing to consider is the output you need.  You really need a genny that has an output of approximately 25% more than you require for peak consumption otherwise it will be 'hunting' which is an irritating rev rise/rev drop sequence which will get others nearby going mad ....and probably you as well.

Another thing worth remembering is that the Decibel scale is LOGARITHMIC, thus (from memory) an increase of three decibels is roughly DOUBLE the noise generated. An increase of 10 Decibels means the noise has increased TEN times in intensity.So a gennie producing 54dB is putting out a HELLUVA LOT more noise than one producing 52dB.

BGD I agree on the logarithmic increase however to the human ear the following gives a bit more of an 'understandable' illustration:

Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level
Imperceptible Change 1dB
 Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
About Twice as Loud 10dB
About Four Times as Loud 20dB

The Clarke genny mentioned above is 64dB at 1/4 load measured at 7 mtrs so IMO for a cam/caravan site it will be perceived as loud because at anything other than 1/4 load it will be issuing forth a lot more noise.

Also 'noise' is relative in the real world.  The following gives a table which gives a 'real world' way of understanding this:

Speech Level

As a reference, here are the SPLs (sound pressure level quoted as decibels) for two persons talking (not shouting) atvarious differences (level at the receiver's ear).:

0,25m      0,5m         1m       1,5m         2m         3m
70-76dB 65-71dB 58-64dB 55-61dB 52-58dB 50-56dB

RogerC - 2012-05-30 9:55 AMThe EX650 has a noise level of 54dB.  The newer EU10i has a quoted 52dB noise level.  If you look at the table below you can see the relationship of various noise sources to assess how noisy these generators are:

• Fireworks (140)
  • Snowmobile (120)
  • Chain saw (110)
  • Amplified music (110)
  • Lawn mower (90)
  • Noisy office (90)
  • Vacuum cleaner (80)
  • City traffic (80)
  • Whisper (20)
  • Leaves rustling (10)
  • Calm breathing (10)

I wonder where abouts on the scale "Motorhomers Tutting" comes..? ;-) ..You know,as in, "..He's got his drain tap open..Tut! *-).. ".."...His dog's just done a cr*p..Tut.. *-).. "....."..He just walked over the corner of my pitch..AND he was smoking!?..Tut.. *-).. " etc (lol)

pepe63 - 2012-05-30 12:47 PM

• Fireworks (140)
  • Snowmobile (120)
  • Chain saw (110)
  • Amplified music (110)
  • Lawn mower (90)
  • Noisy office (90)
  • Vacuum cleaner (80)
  • City traffic (80)
  • Whisper (20)
  • Leaves rustling (10)
  • Calm breathing (10)

I wonder where abouts on the scale "Motorhomers Tutting" comes..? ;-) ..You know,as in, "..He's got his drain tap open..Tut! *-).. ".."...His dog's just done a cr*p..Tut.. *-).. "....."..He just walked over the corner of my pitch..AND he was smoking!?..Tut.. *-).. " etc (lol)

Drain tap open......5dB

Walking over pitch....30dB so the walker can't quite hear...

Walking over pitch 'smoking'......1dB so the nasty smoker definately does not hear and come over and thwack the git....hehe

Shouting 'will you please shut that bloody yapping dog up'.......100+ dB so the irresponsible owner will hear over the noise of the 'yapping' machine......:-)

Bolly1965 - 2012-05-29 8:49 PM

I would have a second battery fitted but as both the vehicle and leisure batteries have been relocated to the engine bay, I think fitting a second leisure battery would be a job and a half and cost way more than the generator.

Not sure what makes you think this, IMV this is the most efficient and inexpensive way to extend your electrical power without all the aggro of a genny, including storing it, setting it up, carrying fuel for it etc.

The below website belongs to Clive Mott Gotobed (MMM consultant and forum nut!), the second link gives his way of wiring up a second leisure battery:

http://motts.org/

http://motts.org/second%20leisiure%20battery.htm

Get one we got one have too for the kids . We just never know when we would get caught out ..Anyway the other way to look at it is so many people want to tell you how to live your life .

If the people who hate them wanted them bet they would get them and not give a sod what you thought , please yourself only everyone else does.

awwww you're my new best friend - i thought i was a total pariah - gennie + dog (Chihuahua) + smoker AND i'm northern! - no bloody kids tho!

The gennie would only be used when camping at car shows - most people will be away polishing their pride and joys. It would only really be used to charge the leisure battery so I guess output isn't too important, however, if needed, it could be used to watch X-factor!

I hate noise so a quiet gennie is a must.

Besides - whenever I hear a 'tut' I can drag it out and power it up - just to see the look on their faces.

When on sites we always go for hook ups - I may be northern but i'm not tight

People who use their generators for a couple of hours a day and obviously think of others I don't mind.

People who use it all times of the day and night really pi$$ me off. We were in our friends van at Newbury and the bloke in the next van had his genny on all evening. We left there at 11.30 in the evening and it was still going. The next morning we walked over there and it was going again. Later on after going to trhe show and then a walk we went over and it was off. Apparently it ran out of fuel. Later that evening it was back on again.......Struth, I was ready to say something but my leash was pulled back as it was not near our van.

glad the deed is done B-) we use ours at british superbikes meetings no probs..even the bikers turn em off at 11pm!! but if theres a party 3am is the norm 8-) we just use earplugs!!! then put my genny next to there MH/tent at 7 am and fire it up!!! works a treat!! only do this to people smaller than me tho!! (lol)

jon

Barryd999 - 2012-05-30 6:57 PM

I like to take my guitar away with me. this time I thought I would take my electric guitar and PA system. Would one of those quiet Hondas power this lot?

:D

I have just been to have a hearing test and been told I need an aid - that Status Quo rig looks just about right - now where do you put the batteries.

Archived