Beware of your speed limits

david1949

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brambles - 2012-06-17 10:34 PM

http://www.itoworld.com/map/5#

This site shows it as being 60/65 mph. You may have to search as my cookies might be going straight to zoomed in map.

Jon

Those co-ords go to Norwich, not Cambridge. The A14 Cambridge - Huntingdon shows blue, indicating what they state to be a 70-75MPH limit. I don't know where they get their data though, as some of the limits (like the above) are strangely expressed. How reliable is it supposed to be?

Oooops, tail end Charlie here, others have found the same, - only quicker! :-D

The original poster said that he was clocked over three days so he would surely not be able to bundle it into one offence?

However, this thread has made me check up on my m/home details and, according to the brochure information for the year applicable, the unladen mass is 2830kg allowing for 90% fuel and 75kg for the driver. That leaves quite a good allowance for fitted extras such as larger fridge, awning and two extra seat belts - I hope!!

Patricia - 2012-06-18 3:10 PM

The original poster said that he was clocked over three days so he would surely not be able to bundle it into one offence?

However, this thread has made me check up on my m/home details and, according to the brochure information for the year applicable, the unladen mass is 2830kg allowing for 90% fuel and 75kg for the driver. That leaves quite a good allowance for fitted extras such as larger fridge, awning and two extra seat belts - I hope!!

....indeed - I noted that when I re-read; but given the current probability that there was no offence at all, it rather got overtaken by events.

I spoke to my insurance company legal service this morning the Solicitor there put me in touch with a Solicitor that deals with motoring offences . He ask me to fax the V5 + any other information that

would help so i also sent post from the forum + the Weights in Hymer brochure that Robenhood posted. He rang me back about 7PM and tells me that i should have not been sent a Nip as no speeding offence has taken place. Under the terms of my insurance i am aloud 2 Solicitor letter free so he is going to deal with it and he will sent me copies of the letter. He also tells me had the offence been looker into properly this situation would have not arisen and he will be looking cost if the matter is not sorted with the first letter by them. So i have left it with him and he will keep in contact with me a big thank you to everyone that helped me in this matter.

Good luck to the OP in contesting his case.........BUT..........I got 'done' driving my car in a 30 area at 34mph!! *-)

My guess is the mobile cam operator which 'got me' had simply been having a bad day and failed to reach his daily 'target'. Contesting a case can end up costing more than paying a fine and I only know of one case which was successfully contested by a biker caught by a fixed speed camera.

He asked for photographic evidence from the camera (which they have to provide....if asked for). He studied these photographs at great length, and then decided to take the case to Court where after hearing his mathematical evidence from which he was able to prove his exact speed, the case was dropped.

This time they had picked on the wrong bloke......he was a Professor of Mathematics! (lol)

Why can you not just fill in the penalty notice or attach a letter stating the fact you are a motorhome under x weight and speed limit applicable to your vehicle is 70 not 60 on tyeh particular stretch of road and therefore you were not speeding, and return to the issuing authority. Why do you need legal advice, just does not make sense to me? Guilty until proven innocent!!!

Brambles - 2012-06-20 3:00 PM

Why can you not just fill in the penalty notice or attach a letter stating the fact you are a motorhome under x weight and speed limit applicable to your vehicle is 70 not 60 on tyeh particular stretch of road and therefore you were not speeding, and return to the issuing authority. Why do you need legal advice, just does not make sense to me? Guilty until proven innocent!!!

A very similar incident was highlighted in MMM by the late Mel Eastburn some years ago and it was satisfactorily resolved in the manner you've suggested - without recourse to a solicitor.

Nevertheless, as there are 3 'offences' in david1949's case (equating to a potential 9 driving-licence penalty points and significant fines) and he has access to free expert legal assistance via his insurance company, it would be a brave policy (I'm going to suggest "a bloody foolhardy policy" as being more apt) to go it alone when there's clearly no need to do so.

Earlier forum threads that may be of interest:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=speed&author=kate&days=&Submit=Search

I thought i would post this that i read in the new,s on my P C

Police policy on speeding - double standards?

A number of motorists have been issued with £30 fines after they were seen alerting other drivers to the presence of a speed trap by flashing their headlights.

In a week long sting, Lancashire Police caught 20 drivers flashing their headlights towards motorists approaching a mobile speed trap. All were fined for 'misuse of headlights'.

Police defended the fines claiming that speeding drivers needed to be spoken to about their actions and flashing headlights to warn them did not force a change in behaviour.

• 1 month later...
Hi Robinhood thank,s of your interest in the case and all the help from you and everyone else in the forum yes the case was was successful and all fines was dropped . The solicitor has looked into the case in depth and found out the things that went wrong that should not have went wrong as there is safe guards to prevent this sort of thing happening so on his advice i am going for compensation and letting him handle the case. He contacts me now and again to let me know that things is still on going i am paying for all of this myself but as the solicitor says i will get it back when it goes to court but he thinks that a settlement will be made before it gets into court. (lol)

....thanks, David.

Such cases seem to crop up now and again (since the rather obscure historic ruling basing speed limits on unladen weight appears to be little-understood).

It's always useful to have a reference to someone who has been successful, so that others can be "encouraged" to contest.

....so 9 points and potential fine(s) avoided, but remember, the 3050kg unladen weight basis only applies in the UK. ;-)

At the risk of attracting 'flak'......I was with the OP all the way until his last posting on the subject.  The case was proven at little or no cost to him except maybe a little worry and now it's 'com pen say shun' time!!!

OK so the authorities got it wrong and all is well again but it looks like another solicitor is going for sucking blood from the 'public purse'......so if successful that's more £££'s gone from our taxes which in it's own small way adds to the lack of funding for public services........

I see no reason why he should suffer loss - the cost of defending himself against a false accusation - at the hands of public authorities. Unless the solicitor tries to wind it up with a claim for emotional stress, or some such (possible!), pushing for his costs seems to me reasonable. Whether he really needs to pursue that through the courts is another question. A direct approach to the relevant authority, inviting them to directly settle his legal costs, would seem the better way to proceed at first. Then do it the hard way if necessary.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I have come to this thread a bit late, but I've never really understood what my speed limits are, why, because although my v5c shows body type as "Motor caravan" the taxation class is "light goods vehicle". I tried in vain to get DVLA to alter this, they said it was not possible, so I guess I'm correct in sticking to LGV speed limits, and not car limits, or does anyone know different please......

1footinthegrave - 2012-08-07 7:25 PM

I have come to this thread a bit late, but I've never really understood what my speed limits are, why, because although my v5c shows body type as "Motor caravan" the taxation class is "light goods vehicle". I tried in vain to get DVLA to alter this, they said it was not possible, so I guess I'm correct in sticking to LGV speed limits, and not car limits, or does anyone know different please......

....as your body type is Motor Caravan, if your unladen weight is no greater than 3050kg (and it probably isn't), then, on the same premise as has been used in the argument here, you are constrained by the same limits as cars (In the UK only).

The taxation class has no effect in this case - (though I believe yours should technically be "Private Light Goods"); in fact, my previous Rapido had a GVW of 3850kg, and a taxation class of "Private Heavy Goods", but a quoted MIRO (which is greater than the unladen weight) of lower than 3050kg, and so was also subject to the same limits as cars.

It's a motorhome taxed as light goods because there is no motorhome tax class. This is to differentiate between over 3500kg heavy goods cheaper tax and private light goods higher tax class. Just to add came through Cambridge average speed check area in motorhome Saturday no speed restriction signs so is NSP. John ;-) ;-)

Hi Rodger don't get me started about the public puce and this government they screw every penny out of us motorist in any way they can if i can sue the government i am very happy to do that. Just look round at society now and the way governments over the years have ruined Great Britain that all i am saying on this matter as my feelings run to deep about the way governments over the years have treated it,s people .

Guest pelmetman

Under 3050 so I can legally do 70 mph in Horace :-D.................

It might take him a while to get there though :D

Brian Kirby - 2012-08-07 7:18 PMI see no reason why he should suffer loss - the cost of defending himself against a false accusation - at the hands of public authorities. Unless the solicitor tries to wind it up with a claim for emotional stress, or some such (possible!), pushing for his costs seems to me reasonable. Whether he really needs to pursue that through the courts is another question. A direct approach to the relevant authority, inviting them to directly settle his legal costs, would seem the better way to proceed at first. Then do it the hard way if necessary.

Brian I fully agree ....if 'financial loss' has been incurred by authoritarian incompetence then the OP should be reimbursed.  However if it is simply a case of getting financial recompense for a bit of worry then IMO that is not on.

The 'com pen say shun' culture is costing this country a fortune......estimates run into the billions of £££'s, which in effect is us 'the taxpayers' who in the end foot the bill.

There are many justifications for claiming compensation but if it is a case of another 'no win no fee' solicitor bleeding the system then IMO it is just wrong.

david1949 - 2012-08-07 7:55 PMHi Rodger don't get me started about the public puce and this government they screw every penny out of us motorist in any way they can if i can sue the government i am very happy to do that. Just look round at society now and the way governments over the years have ruined Great Britain that all i am saying on this matter as my feelings run to deep about the way governments over the years have treated it,s people .

Take a look at your council tax bill and you'll find the police authority is partly paid through your council tax.  The rest is from your taxes via central government ergo any claim for compensation comes from that budget which in turn takes funds away from 'policing'.

I'm not saying that compensation is not deserved in a great many cases irrespective of those who brought about such situations.  Unfortunately the proliferation of 'ambulance chasing' solicitors over recent years is costing you, me and all taxpayers billions of £££'s every year in settling spurious claims where it is 'cheaper' to settle out of court than it is to contest it through the courts.

If you suffered financial loss then you are right to persue the matter but if it is just to 'get your own back' then IMO it's just wrong.

Archived