Towing my horses help please .

michele

Hi guys quick answer needed . Sorry not M/H related .

I want to tow my daughter in her Ifor williams trailer today to a horse show. the box takes two 17.2 horses . I was planning to tow with the VW transporter .2.5 td. Is there any reason why this engine wouldnt cope with it . I don't want to damage the van . people have said its not a four wheel drive so therefore i shouldn't do it . what do you all think . The trailer weighs a ton unloaded and up to 2,700 loaded .

As long as the weight of the horsebox + horses does not exceed the maximum weight your VW Transporter is permitted to tow, it should be OK legally.

A couple of big horses will probably weigh over a tonne and then there's the weight of the horsebox, so (even if it's legal) you'll still be pulling a lot of weight. However, it shouldn't damage your VW as long as you are careful and avoid stressing the clutch as much as possible.

With just front-wheel drive you'll need to watch out if you park on a soft surface (like in a field) at the horse-show, otherwise you might well not have enough grip to pull away once the horses are loaded.

(I think I'd opt for the VW rather than the motorhome.)

Derek always a sweetie and a help

.Thanks so much you have put my mind at rest. she is driving me mad and she is 24 I told her to tow it herself her van is covered BUT apparently she isnt allowed . we are getting conflicting information and really have not found the DVLA 's website any help about what she actually has to have on her licenece. I will go ahead and tow its a local show less than 8 miles to go and its hard standing when we get there . Much prefer she did it leaving me alone (kids) . Thanks again . i will tow very slowly sod the que behind me rather be safe than sorry ...x

Hi Michelle,

She is correct in not being able to tow it herself. As she has obviously passed her test after 1997 she will not have category B+E to allow her to tow a trailer over 750 kg (unless she has taken a separate test).

On the other you will have B+E as 'Grandfather' rights from having passed your test before 1997.

This lack of B+E wll affect many tuggers in years to come (if not already).

Here is a link to GOV.UK explaining the categories Link

Keith.

If you are a member of the Caravan Club they do a free advice service on this. Their general advice is never to tow more than a 100% of towcar weight and best never more than 85% of towcar weight. I would have thought to tow two big horses and a horsebox a large 4x4 would be needed.

Guys thanks for the advice ...we are not willing to do anything illegal so . Jodhi will have to find a place and sit a special test . (thanks for the link ) Malcolm being retired now we certainly don't want to go and get another vehicle we just have no need , we have the Vw transporter jodhi's work van & the Vw Shuttle LWB with the disabled lift inside. & the M/H . All very confusing especially when you try to gain advice from people whom know nothing (horsey World ) ...Most are willing to tow come what may and i often wonder if they have either the licence or the correct vehicles. (I doubt it ) in most cases . young kids . You are correct I do have all the categories on my licence . Today i will take it slow and easy thank god its not far (although, i am aware its not the distance that could bring me an accident . ) ...thanks for all your help .. Guess Jodhi can go buy herself a 4 wheel drive . Much prefer a horse box but more tax more insurance and MOT etc etc . Trailers are a problem but it far out weighs the benefits of an actuall box IMHO .

Thanks again

Two horses in a horse box says to me

Landcruiser

Landrover

Rangerover.

Whatever you use it should be big and heavy so that you remain in control.

Don't think the VW fits this bill.

Sorry.

The MH might if its rear wheel drive and 3.5 tonne. but front wheel drive is a bit iffy for me.

C.

Keithl - 2013-04-28 10:32 AM

Hi Michelle,

She is correct in not being able to tow it herself. As she has obviously passed her test after 1997 she will not have category B+E to allow her to tow a trailer over 750 kg (unless she has taken a separate test).

On the other you will have B+E as 'Grandfather' rights from having passed your test before 1997.

This lack of B+E wll affect many tuggers in years to come (if not already).

Here is a link to GOV.UK explaining the categories Link

Keith.

I believe you may have misinterperated the information on towing. The standard licence does not restrict towing to a 750kgs trailer, this is a common misconception. If you continue the passage you quote, in your link, it goes on to say 'trailer over 750kg if combined vehicle and trailer weight isn’t more than 3,500kg MAM'. However in the case of the question being asked as the total allowed mass of the trailer is 2700kgs then the the mass of the tow vehicle cannot exceed 800kgs, a fairly inpracticle towing situation I believe!

Basil

Michelle, your post is a little unclear as to what you wont to tow, a empty horse box? box with one horse? or fully laden box?

Your VW will have a data plate telling you the max towing weight, at a guess I would think it's about 2 tonne, which if right will be ok for empty box, plus one large horse OR a couple of small ponies.

Guest peter

Looks pretty clear to me.

Quote Michele

I want to tow my daughter in her Ifor williams trailer today to a horse show. the box takes two 17.2 horses . I was planning to tow with the VW transporter .2.5 td. Is there any reason why this engine wouldnt cope with it . I don't want to damage the van . people have said its not a four wheel drive so therefore i shouldn't do it . what do you all think . The trailer weighs a ton unloaded and up to 2,700 loaded .

The clue is in the second and last sentence. *-)

peter - 2013-04-28 9:40 PM

Looks pretty clear to me.

Quote Michele

The clue is in the second and last sentence. *-)

"the box takes two 17.2 horses" but is this the max size horse or the actual size of horses?

"The trailer weighs a ton unloaded and up to 2.700 loaded" So some where inbetween.

And anyway Michelle has quoted it will be carrying her daughter, do you know how much her daughter weights? :D

Hi

The t

Max weight you can tow with your m/h, autotrail chieftain, is limited by its total train weight.

Not sure which model of fiat ducato your m/h is based on but it's likely the total train weight is either 6000 or 6500 kg.

Your m/h has an on the road weight of at least 4200kg and perhaps more if you have extras.

Soooo this means the total trailer weight will be a max of 2300 kg and possibly as a max of as low as 1500kg.

Sorry I think it would not be wise to tow a horse box with your m/h.

You can apply a similar calculation to your other vehicles. The key is the total train weight which should be in your handbook. If you exceed trainweight this might impact your insurance if in an accident plus it could overstrain the vehicle.

Peter

peterjl - 2013-04-28 10:08 PM.................. The key is the total train weight which should be in your handbook. If you exceed trainweight this might impact your insurance if in an accident plus it could overstrain the vehicle.

Peter

Beyond which, I'm sorry to say so late in the day, it is actually illegal. GTW is not optional, if it is exceeded, the vehicle is overloaded, just as it would be if in excess of its MAM. Sorry Michele but if you did it, a pound to a penny says you shouldn't have - with any of those vehicles.

Archived