Royal Mail Shares?

Tracker

Had Enough - 2013-10-13 7:14 PM
Tracker - 2013-10-13 7:12 PM
pelmetman - 2013-10-13 6:24 PM
RogerC - 2013-10-12 12:05 PMMaybe as you didn't get to tie up your £thousands you might like to consider investing it in a course of therapy to help you stop being an irritating git.

Will 10k be enough? :-S............ (lol)
I doubt it - not even for the man who thinks he has everything - well almost everything - for buying the impossible - but that sort of miracle would be beyond priceless!We could have a whip round, or maybe suggest possible tutors!
One thing's for sure Richard. If there's ever a whip round for anything you'll find an excuse to nip to the bog! (lol) (lol)
How original - must have taken both of your brain cells working in tandem to come up that bit of innovative brilliance.(lol) (lol)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2013-10-13 7:21 PM

How original - must have taken both of your brain cells working in tandem to come up that bit of innovative brilliance.

(lol) (lol)

Admit it. You loved it! (lol) (lol)

Had Enough - 2013-10-13 7:29 PM

Tracker - 2013-10-13 7:21 PM

How original - must have taken both of your brain cells working in tandem to come up that bit of innovative brilliance.

(lol) (lol)

Admit it. You loved it! (lol) (lol)

Your poor two little brain cells - the shock of working together instead of confrontation probably gave them both a nervous breakdown.

Well we can all live in hope can't we!!

But as long as it brought you pleasure.

If someone knew there was going to be a maximum I wish the had told me. I applied for 50,000 thinking that would be a nice little earner without being greedy. Obviously I'm not that happy getting zilch and they are still holding our money! Never mind it was with a try at least and I'm not going to loose any sleep over it.

You could research which investment houses have RM shares and access them via a collective Colin

I hope the privatisation goes well because the good thing about this is that it is getting people to think about investing again. Since the debacle of the Banks in 2008, many people, quite sensibly have steered clear.

However, RM share are not the only game in town and indeed RM shares have some particular risks that scream caution at me.

As this article indicates RM has the issue of low profitability, strikes and an emerging competition that could take it to the cleaners. Alternatively, RM's management and workers could knuckle down and beat that competition hollow and it could be a remarkable success. That is the gamble that RM share buyers are willing to take.

But realistically you have to look at past privatisation's to see that there are indeed risks, and these risks can be long term, If you look at how the past National Express Privatisation shares have done - and even more startling, compare this performance against a FTSE 100 Tracker fund and you will see what I mean.

This info is given in the article I provide the link to.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-2440008/Royal-Mail-shares-Would-better-good-fund.html

Food for thought I would suggest.

Guest pelmetman

As an aside, speaking as someone uses couriers and receives parcels on a daily basis....... when working ;-)....

RM has a long way to go before I'd use them again *-)..............

I cannot make any comment regarding using them as a business. However as a 'Christmastime' type customer i have found them to be fine. I send parcels to Europe and on checking their prices are less than courier Co's and if I use the 'signed for' service it is usually delivered within a few days.

Yes, I do not like the cost but compared to others they are not so bad.

Plus, I have a personal interest. My grandson is a Postie so i need to protect the family.

Guest Peter James
CliveH - 2013-10-14 5:39 AM

You could research which investment houses have RM shares and access them via a collective Colin

I hope the privatisation goes well because the good thing about this is that it is getting people to think about investing again. Since the debacle of the Banks in 2008, many people, quite sensibly have steered clear.

However, RM share are not the only game in town and indeed RM shares have some particular risks that scream caution at me.

As this article indicates RM has the issue of low profitability, strikes and an emerging competition that could take it to the cleaners. Alternatively, RM's management and workers could knuckle down and beat that competition hollow and it could be a remarkable success. That is the gamble that RM share buyers are willing to take.

But realistically you have to look at past privatisation's to see that there are indeed risks, and these risks can be long term, If you look at how the past National Express Privatisation shares have done - and even more startling, compare this performance against a FTSE 100 Tracker fund and you will see what I mean.

This info is given in the article I provide the link to.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-2440008/Royal-Mail-shares-Would-better-good-fund.html

Food for thought I would suggest.

Well since they make their money (indirectly) from funds its hardly surprising they suggest selling RM shares and buying a fee charging fund (which may include RM shares.) They always tell you to sell this and buy that because they make their money from trades. They make nothing from the likes of me who simply hold our own shares and ETFs.

The graph shows what happened after National Express disastrous over bid for the East Coast Franchise. Irrelevant I think, because as I recall those who bought privatisation shares would have sold them 20 years earlier to the management buyout?

Fair point on the National Express shares - but I think the point that came across to me was that often what was a Nationalised Industry, struggles in the real world. Yes Privatisation did go better for NE imediatly after the event in 1988.

But from 2008 to 2013 - the classic 5 years period - NE shares have declined sharply then never recovered. Whereas even the HSBC FTSE Tracker has shown good growth.

And I certainly was not suggesting selling RM shares to buy a fund that holds them - I was suggesting that those that wanted more than the allocation allowed could gain the exposure they wanted by researching which funds were successful in getting their allocation.

Tho' quite why anyone would be fixated on a Privatisation issue is questionable.

CliveH - 2013-10-14 3:18 PM

Tho' quite why anyone would be fixated on a Privatisation issue is questionable.

Often shows a lack of understanding of the markets and how they work together with a reluctance to pay a stockbroker or financial advisor for advice specific to their needs and attitude to risk.

Of course the ease of and relatively low cash threshold for buying also attracts many first timers into the market some of whom will go on to become more avid investors.

Agree Rich - one thing the RM privatisation has done is to develop peoples interest in investing again - especially as deposit rates are low and likely to stay that way.

Sadly - a US debacle on Thur could see gains made all wiped out. How the new investor handles the downside is key tho.

CliveH - 2013-10-14 4:26 PM

Sadly - a US debacle on Thur could see gains made all wiped out. How the new investor handles the downside is key tho.

I don't suppose you know of an expert in such matters who has a crystal ball - Mystic Frank maybe!!

Well given that the answer to the question:-

"How many mystics does it take to change a light bulb?"

is

"Mystics can't change light bulbs; they just "know" how to."

It would seem that "Mystic Frank" is an apt description. (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2013-10-14 4:37 PM

CliveH - 2013-10-14 4:26 PM

I don't suppose you know of an expert in such matters who has a crystal ball - Mystic Frank maybe!!

That's the second interesting appellation today. We had the Swiss Frank in another thread! You have to laugh! (lol) (lol) (lol)

I admit to being bad at changing light bulbs and all that DIY stuff but I do know the currency of most European countries. And I'm just a shopkeeper! ;-)

Well yes we do Frank - We are all having a chuckle while we await the Fraud Squad

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest Had Enough
CliveH - 2013-10-14 5:19 PM

Well yes we do Frank - We are all having a chuckle while we await the Fraud Squad

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Don't worry Clive, you can bribe the buggers with some Swiss Franks! ;-)

Guest Had Enough
CliveH - 2013-10-14 5:48 PM

Err - you have made that joke before Frank

But then i suspect you forgot.

Aw! Bless!!!

(lol) (lol) (lol)

I freely admit to not remembering making a joke about you writing about Swiss 'Franks' mainly because I have a life and so much going on in it. I am however very flattered that you remember every little quip that I make. Well done that man! ;-)

But as for my memory, I can remember that it's the Swiss Franc and not the Swiss Frank and I'm just a shopkeeper. You on the other hand are supposed to be able to remember these things. (lol)

Swiss Franks- aw bless! (lol) ;-)

Well remembering Swiss Franc as opposed to Frank is a long term memory which usually remains unaffected Frank.

However the short term memory is - as indeed is the obsessive nature of ones personality.

Unhealthy focussing on perceived slights and perceived failings in others (such as spelling I would suggest FG ?) is another strong indicator.

Go figure!

Guest Had Enough
Will85 - 2013-10-15 6:19 PM

I have it on good authority from a RM source today that the price of the shares will half very shortly.

Watch this space

Your local postman is about as good a source as the average taxi driver! Don't get too excited about this! Apart from which I'm not sure how anyone in the RM can predict the markets. The possibility of strike action has already been logged and accounted for by the real money men, who aren't too bothered about its effect.

What they are aware of is RM's long term future in the rapidly growing small packet and parcel business and it's massive property portfolio, some of which will be sold over the next few years, releasing large capital sums.

Guest Had Enough
CliveH - 2013-10-15 7:11 AM

Well remembering Swiss Franc as opposed to Frank is a long term memory which usually remains unaffected Frank.

However the short term memory is - as indeed is the obsessive nature of ones personality.

Unhealthy focussing on perceived slights and perceived failings in others (such as spelling I would suggest FG ?) is another strong indicator.

Go figure!

First of all Clive, as I've told you just recently, if I was obsessive about your spelling and grammar I'd be jumping on you every day! Perhaps you have a short-term memory problem and have forgotten what I said? (lol)

I'm not really sure what you're getting at though with the long or short term memory regarding the Swiss Franc. You either know it's the Franc or you don't! Just like I know that Paris is the capital of France I know that the currency of Switzerland is the Franc. It's bugger all to do with long or short term memory! I just found it staggering that you didn't know!

Very odd!

And as for unhealthy and obsessive behaviour in the perceived failing of others, that seems to be your position regarding my mental health! You do seem obsessed with it!

Even odder. ;-)

Archived